ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moved to Lounge: AVIOM ethernet + network connection on yamaha M7CL mixer  (Read 520 times)

JoeLoduca

Wondering if I might get a recommendation from someone out there on what I am trying to gain here.  I do sound at a church here in Southeastern Michigan.  (Grace Christian Church).   In the church exists a Yamaha M7CL-48 running firmware 3.55. In the mixer exists a digital card that drives an array of AVIOMs (A-16 II).   One of the sore spots of sound is the streaming internet feed at our church services.  The better method of sound is to have a separate mix for the internet feed that is NOT done in the main sanctuary.  In this church exists a MEDIA room that is well isolated and would make a pretty good room to assemble an internet audio mix.   Ėbut the mixer is of course in the main sanctuary where it belongs.   Well the idea came up that maybe we can assign a separate mix for the internet and have it sort of completely software driven.  In other words, in this MEDIA room, Iíd like to have software (Apple) running to control this other mix via Ethernet to the M7CL in the main sanctuary.  One thing I want to mention is that I also have a wireless router connected to the Ethernet of the M7CL right now.  I use an IPAD to do some remote mixing within the large sanctuary.  I hate to loose that capability..   Right now, the ONLY Ethernet connections between the M7CL and MEDIA room and the STAGE is the Ethernet that drives all the AVIOM business.    I know the AVIOM is connected to a PoE Switch.  I donít believe there is a router on that Ethernet, donít believe there would need to be one either.   But these 2 ethernet connections on the M7CL provide different functions.   My question is, can they be joined together?   On the LAN side of my wireless ROUTER, I connected via cat5 ethernet to my Yamaha M7CL on its network connection.  I guess I want to know if I can connect the AVIOM card ETHERNET of the YAMAHA M7CL to another LAN port of this wireless router??  SO I am in effect joining these 2 separate LANs into one in order to get the MEDIA ROOM and M7CL to communicate together..   On my M7CL, I set up the mixer as IP 192.168.1.128/255.255.255.0  : Now I have no clue of what protocol the AVIOM talk is.     If this is not possible, then I have to make a long run of cat5 between MEDIA and M7CL.  Hoping to avoid that.   

Next step, providing the above is doable, what about the apple computer, what would I need there to view and edit a separate mix for the internet feed?
Thanks much!   Joe

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: AVIOM ethernet + network connection on yamaha M7CL mixer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 01:23:13 pm »

Wondering if I might get a recommendation from someone out there on what I am trying to gain here.  I do sound at a church here in Southeastern Michigan.  (Grace Christian Church).   In the church exists a Yamaha M7CL-48 running firmware 3.55. In the mixer exists a digital card that drives an array of AVIOMs (A-16 II).   One of the sore spots of sound is the streaming internet feed at our church services.  The better method of sound is to have a separate mix for the internet feed that is NOT done in the main sanctuary.  In this church exists a MEDIA room that is well isolated and would make a pretty good room to assemble an internet audio mix.   Ėbut the mixer is of course in the main sanctuary where it belongs.   Well the idea came up that maybe we can assign a separate mix for the internet and have it sort of completely software driven.  In other words, in this MEDIA room, Iíd like to have software (Apple) running to control this other mix via Ethernet to the M7CL in the main sanctuary.  One thing I want to mention is that I also have a wireless router connected to the Ethernet of the M7CL right now.  I use an IPAD to do some remote mixing within the large sanctuary.  I hate to loose that capability..   Right now, the ONLY Ethernet connections between the M7CL and MEDIA room and the STAGE is the Ethernet that drives all the AVIOM business.    I know the AVIOM is connected to a PoE Switch.  I donít believe there is a router on that Ethernet, donít believe there would need to be one either.   But these 2 ethernet connections on the M7CL provide different functions.   My question is, can they be joined together?   On the LAN side of my wireless ROUTER, I connected via cat5 ethernet to my Yamaha M7CL on its network connection.  I guess I want to know if I can connect the AVIOM card ETHERNET of the YAMAHA M7CL to another LAN port of this wireless router??  SO I am in effect joining these 2 separate LANs into one in order to get the MEDIA ROOM and M7CL to communicate together..   On my M7CL, I set up the mixer as IP 192.168.1.128/255.255.255.0  : Now I have no clue of what protocol the AVIOM talk is.     If this is not possible, then I have to make a long run of cat5 between MEDIA and M7CL.  Hoping to avoid that.   

Next step, providing the above is doable, what about the apple computer, what would I need there to view and edit a separate mix for the internet feed?
Thanks much!   Joe

Unfortunately, although it uses cat5 cabling, AVIOM is NOT ethernet, so what you're wanting to do won't work.  The "switch" that is in the Media room for this is likely a dedicated Aviom Splitter and not an ethernet switch.

The rest of your idea is valid.  But it does appear you may need to run additional cabling.

As to what to control the separate mix with, Yamaha has control software for the M7 for both Apple AND Windows machines.  The processing needs are not very high.  Virtually any working computer will accomplish the goal.

There are also ways to attach an external hardware fader remote to this computer as well, but i'd sort out the computer and cabling first.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 01:27:17 pm »

Pretty sure the M7CL (and LS9) cannot run their iPad apps and Studio Manager at the same time. It's one or the other.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:32:22 pm »

Pretty sure the M7CL (and LS9) cannot run their iPad apps and Studio Manager at the same time. It's one or the other.

Oh, that's a bummer....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:32:22 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 26 queries.