ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: DSR112 - problem again.  (Read 13793 times)

Wayne Smith2

Re: DSR112 - problem again.
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 04:28:33 AM »

Hi Debbie,

Wow... just ...wow.

Maybe you should pick up one of these:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L58BDG7/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07L58BDG7&pd_rd_w=T2jhJ&pf_rd_p=733540df-430d-45cd-9525-21bc15b0e6cc&pd_rd_wg=OUvLu&pf_rd_r=8FEADDV8CQ6M9Y6P4MNR&pd_rd_r=1444f1e8-3a2e-11e9-8857-518f15906d37

You could check out the socket for good wiring and voltage.  Hopefully Kemper Watson had it right and that is all it is.

I haven't had any issues since I got my rattling woofer fixed.  Both my DSR's have been performing beautifully.  I really hope you just had a bad socket doing that.

I have plugged into tons of different sockets and have even run on a generator that was obviously not keeping up with the load (lights dimmed every time the kick was hit) and still never had a DSR go out. [snip...]
Yes wow, and especially again after the earlier issues.
We have an even simpler inexpensive plug-in volt meter (in this case simply suspect inst amps loss of headroom at a few of our little venues.

I was wondering though, might a small generator be used intentionally throttled down, to provide a low voltage test? Oddly, I still have an old variac that could do it.
Thanks
Wayne

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 08:11:33 AM »

Yes wow, and especially again after the earlier issues.
We have an even simpler inexpensive plug-in volt meter (in this case simply suspect inst amps loss of headroom at a few of our little venues.

I was wondering though, might a small generator be used intentionally throttled down, to provide a low voltage test? Oddly, I still have an old variac that could do it.
Thanks
Wayne

Or put a couple of 1k lights (or 4 500w lights) on a dimmer to load down the circuit and put the speaker or 2 on the same circuit (NOT on the Dimmed side) and see if as you turn the light up and the lights get brighter does this speaker shut down before the other speaker on the same circuit.

Wayne Smith2

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »

Or put a couple of 1k lights (or 4 500w lights) on a dimmer to load down the circuit and put the speaker or 2 on the same circuit (NOT on the Dimmed side) and see if as you turn the light up and the lights get brighter does this speaker shut down before the other speaker on the same circuit.
Just to follow up with another question- Aside from any number of other possible causes, could something like this be a fault of a low voltage protection device (or circuit) 'engaging at a high or out of spec threshold?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 01:48:06 PM »

What is weird is that turning off and then on brought the speaker back to life. I have never had that happen before unless it was a thermal issue. The one that went bad last year was either on or off regardless of whether I tried to switch on and off.
Also we had played that club using the exact same power source and equipment probably 30 + times without any issues whatsoever.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 04:24:55 PM »

What is weird is that turning off and then on brought the speaker back to life. I have never had that happen before unless it was a thermal issue. The one that went bad last year was either on or off regardless of whether I tried to switch on and off.
Also we had played that club using the exact same power source and equipment probably 30 + times without any issues whatsoever.

Mine will always come back on. And stay on 30 minutes. But not 45..

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2019, 05:01:06 PM »

Could it be something as simple as an IEC cord with an intermittent connection in the cord itself?
Intermittent cables causing problems can be difficult to diagnose.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 05:07:54 PM »

Could it be something as simple as an IEC cord with an intermittent connection in the cord itself?
Intermittent cables causing problems can be difficult to diagnose.

Maybe. Before I switched the speaker back on I made sure the IEC cord and XLR were both secure BUT of course  that doesn't mean the IEC cord still isn't bad.  However, I have been using the same one for my SRX's - both speakers have locking IEC's so I use the same cables each time.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 05:14:52 PM »

Maybe. Before I switched the speaker back on I made sure the IEC cord and XLR were both secure BUT of course  that doesn't mean the IEC cord still isn't bad.  However, I have been using the same one for my SRX's - both speakers have locking IEC's so I use the same cables each time.

Can you set it up in your garage, basement, etc. and run it for a few days straight?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 05:40:30 PM »

Can you set it up in your garage, basement, etc. and run it for a few days straight?

It might come to that.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 01:38:20 PM »

I have been running the 'bad' speaker for a few hours today - quite loud in a spare room (sounds like a very noisy neighbor sharing an apartment block -LOL)....
Any way so far so good.
Even though it went off on an inside show where the temperature was pretty nice and we had nothing under 100hz going through it - no pops or bangs or loud noises that I could hear, maybe it did just shut down for some reason and because of my previous experience I panicked and stopped using them. After all when I hit the on/off button it came back on and stayed on the whole rest of the show.
This is NOT what happened with the other one that went bad. That one would NOT come back on till the next day or so and then would do it again.
I just read the troubleshooting portion of the manual and it does say, " If the device won't automatically reset itself, TURN OFF THE POWER AND ON AGAIN."
I had assumed that the reset on speakers would always cause them to resume passing audio on their own once correct temperature/ voltage etc has been resumed but this indicates otherwise.

So maybe I could risk it again and take one of my PRX712's with me as back up - set up ready to go.
It is amazing just how much difference it makes to Chris lifting those SRX's speakers onto stands compared to the DSR112's. Although there is only just over 8lbs difference in weight,  and the DSR's do not have side handles, the physical size of the SRX's makes it more difficult for him also. He has a bad shoulder from lifting one of the SRX815's up onto a stand from 2017 which still causes him some pain so I need to look after him.

Now bear in mind this man not only loads the van,  unloads at the venue, carries the PA and bass equipment into the venue, helps stage set up, then plays bass, sings and puts on his performing personality, then helps strike, carries the gear back out to the van, loads the van and then unloads back home - all with my help but he definitely gets the lion's share of the heavy work!!!....
I realize this is par for the course for some of you and certainly everything but the playing on stage part is par for the course for most of you in the LOUNGE but he rarely accepts help doing this because he just wants to get on with it and everyone else is always busy with their own stuff. He also works 50+ hours a week monday through friday, is 53 years old and I really want to make his life a bit easier. He is my rock and my hero.
So being able to go back to the DSR's at least for the smaller shows would be of great benefit to Chris...... I'll give it a go.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2019, 01:38:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.