ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DSR112 - problem again.  (Read 5624 times)

David Allred

Re: DSR112 - problem again.
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2019, 06:54:19 pm »

I have been running the 'bad' speaker for a few hours today - quite loud in a spare room (sounds like a very noisy neighbor sharing an apartment block -LOL)....
Any way so far so good.
Even though it went off on an inside show where the temperature was pretty nice and we had nothing under 100hz going through it - no pops or bangs or loud noises that I could hear, maybe it did just shut down for some reason and because of my previous experience I panicked and stopped using them. After all when I hit the on/off button it came back on and stayed on the whole rest of the show.
This is NOT what happened with the other one that went bad. That one would NOT come back on till the next day or so and then would do it again.
I just read the troubleshooting portion of the manual and it does say, " If the device won't automatically reset itself, TURN OFF THE POWER AND ON AGAIN."
I had assumed that the reset on speakers would always cause them to resume passing audio on their own once correct temperature/ voltage etc has been resumed but this indicates otherwise.

So maybe I could risk it again and take one of my PRX712's with me as back up - set up ready to go.
It is amazing just how much difference it makes to Chris lifting those SRX's speakers onto stands compared to the DSR112's. Although there is only just over 8lbs difference in weight,  and the DSR's do not have side handles, the physical size of the SRX's makes it more difficult for him also. He has a bad shoulder from lifting one of the SRX815's up onto a stand from 2017 which still causes him some pain so I need to look after him.

Now bear in mind this man not only loads the van,  unloads at the venue, carries the PA and bass equipment into the venue, helps stage set up, then plays bass, sings and puts on his performing personality, then helps strike, carries the gear back out to the van, loads the van and then unloads back home - all with my help but he definitely gets the lion's share of the heavy work!!!....
I realize this is par for the course for some of you and certainly everything but the playing on stage part is par for the course for most of you in the LOUNGE but he rarely accepts help doing this because he just wants to get on with it and everyone else is always busy with their own stuff. He also works 50+ hours a week monday through friday, is 53 years old and I really want to make his life a bit easier. He is my rock and my hero.
So being able to go back to the DSR's at least for the smaller shows would be of great benefit to Chris...... I'll give it a go.

Not sure if this has been asked, but are the serial #'s of the original and this speaker close in sequence? 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2019, 07:13:40 pm »

Not sure if this has been asked, but are the serial #'s of the original and this speaker close in sequence?

101047 & 101053
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2019, 07:16:18 pm »

We pretty much always put the tops on the sub poles on the indoor shows so that won't work. I have tried the 'lying down the stand and walking them up' method and it works quite well - even I can load up the SRX's that way.  My husband is impatient and won't listen so I gotta work with that.

I did a wedding this fall where I installed the M20 poles on the subs, then tipped the subs on their side and slid the ZXa5 on the pole and then walked it up. Worked great and much easier than lifting them on as in the past. Reversed it at loadout. Used Dave’s Anglers too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2019, 07:19:59 pm »

I did a wedding this fall where I installed the M20 poles on the subs, then tipped the subs on their side and slid the ZXa5 on the pole and then walked it up. Worked great and much easier than lifting them on as in the past. Reversed it at loadout. Used Dave’s Anglers too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wow - well I could try that I suppose but it would only work with my SRX subs - the PRX's are attached to wheel dollies on the bottom.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2019, 11:08:22 pm »

I have been running the 'bad' speaker for a few hours today - quite loud in a spare room (sounds like a very noisy neighbor sharing an apartment block -LOL)....
Any way so far so good.
Even though it went off on an inside show where the temperature was pretty nice and we had nothing under 100hz going through it - no pops or bangs or loud noises that I could hear, maybe it did just shut down for some reason and because of my previous experience I panicked and stopped using them. After all when I hit the on/off button it came back on and stayed on the whole rest of the show.
This is NOT what happened with the other one that went bad. That one would NOT come back on till the next day or so and then would do it again.
I just read the troubleshooting portion of the manual and it does say, " If the device won't automatically reset itself, TURN OFF THE POWER AND ON AGAIN."
I had assumed that the reset on speakers would always cause them to resume passing audio on their own once correct temperature/ voltage etc has been resumed but this indicates otherwise.

So maybe I could risk it again and take one of my PRX712's with me as back up - set up ready to go.
It is amazing just how much difference it makes to Chris lifting those SRX's speakers onto stands compared to the DSR112's. Although there is only just over 8lbs difference in weight,  and the DSR's do not have side handles, the physical size of the SRX's makes it more difficult for him also. He has a bad shoulder from lifting one of the SRX815's up onto a stand from 2017 which still causes him some pain so I need to look after him.

Now bear in mind this man not only loads the van,  unloads at the venue, carries the PA and bass equipment into the venue, helps stage set up, then plays bass, sings and puts on his performing personality, then helps strike, carries the gear back out to the van, loads the van and then unloads back home - all with my help but he definitely gets the lion's share of the heavy work!!!....
I realize this is par for the course for some of you and certainly everything but the playing on stage part is par for the course for most of you in the LOUNGE but he rarely accepts help doing this because he just wants to get on with it and everyone else is always busy with their own stuff. He also works 50+ hours a week monday through friday, is 53 years old and I really want to make his life a bit easier. He is my rock and my hero.
So being able to go back to the DSR's at least for the smaller shows would be of great benefit to Chris...... I'll give it a go.
Any good reason not to dump the JBLs and get a second pair of DSR?

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2019, 11:41:01 pm »

"Walking DSR's up from the floor" - I  did not go into this  on my rant against DSR 112's from last year but I tried that once with a tripod where the bottom was about 7.5' up.  Being by myself I needed to mostly walk my hands up the pole with no support on the speaker itself.  Well the plastic pole cup broke about one quarter the way up.  So I would be careful doing that technique.

The good news is the pole cup can basically be "welded" back together with a heat gun.  The bad news is it is  still the same cheap plastic, non-tiltable pole cup.

As to lifting difficulty onto an erect tripood, I find it easier to lift speakers that are larger and 10lbs heavier if they have both side handles.  I actually got some fender guitar cabinet surface mount handles and screwed them into side of the  DSR with the "missing" handle.

On a positive note I did have yet another failure last December and Yamaha sent me a new speaker as a no cost exchange.  So good on them for their support.  I know I  am in the minority having problems with these, but now  they are my living room speakers and, much as I like the sound, they don't go out unless I  run out of  other boxes.

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2019, 02:18:42 am »

The Iwo Jima tilt up is great as long as you are not putting a lot of side load on the pole cups of either the sub or the top, as Mike found out.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2019, 09:37:13 am »

Any good reason not to dump the JBLs and get a second pair of DSR?

For corporate shows I like the match of the tops and subs but I might have done this at one time till the problems started.
So right now I keep my SRX's partly for aesthetics, partly for brand recognition, partly because they sound so darn good and partly because they have never let me down.
My confidence with Yamaha DSR is bit shaken.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2019, 09:38:28 am »

"Walking DSR's up from the floor" - I  did not go into this  on my rant against DSR 112's from last year but I tried that once with a tripod where the bottom was about 7.5' up.  Being by myself I needed to mostly walk my hands up the pole with no support on the speaker itself.  Well the plastic pole cup broke about one quarter the way up.  So I would be careful doing that technique.

The good news is the pole cup can basically be "welded" back together with a heat gun.  The bad news is it is  still the same cheap plastic, non-tiltable pole cup.

As to lifting difficulty onto an erect tripood, I find it easier to lift speakers that are larger and 10lbs heavier if they have both side handles.  I actually got some fender guitar cabinet surface mount handles and screwed them into side of the  DSR with the "missing" handle.

On a positive note I did have yet another failure last December and Yamaha sent me a new speaker as a no cost exchange.  So good on them for their support.  I know I  am in the minority having problems with these, but now  they are my living room speakers and, much as I like the sound, they don't go out unless I  run out of  other boxes.

Geez Mike - you had another one go down since that last one you discussed on the forum or is it the same one you spoke of?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2019, 09:38:56 am »

The Iwo Jima tilt up is great as long as you are not putting a lot of side load on the pole cups of either the sub or the top, as Mike found out.

It would worry me bit for sure.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2019, 09:38:56 am »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.