ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM - Help A Newbie - Please!  (Read 3268 times)

Eric Carrier

IEM - Help A Newbie - Please!
« on: February 24, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »

I have some how been elected the sound technician for our band. Probably because I bought the sound board and have at least touched a mixer. Lucky me! We are wanting to set up a wired IEM system. The board is a Behringer X2222USB (1/4 TS AUX out) and I am looking to purchase a Behringer Powerplay HA6000 headphone amp (1/4 TSR/XLR L/R main). I do not want just a L/R Main FOH mix (non-tweakable) or multiple AUX out individual mixes (do not have enough AUX sends) as per the users manual. I really want a single (everyone gets the same mix) but tweakable mix. So here is the question. Can I split a single AUX send (TS to TS-TS y cable) to the headphone amp L/R main? In my head this works but I'm not sure it actually will. I have heard that some people with output the mixer headphone jack to the headphone amp. I do not really like this option either as it is non-tweakable and just a FOH mix. Any input is appreciated. If I'm way off that OK to. I'm a newbie and I'm still learning. Please be nice.  :)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: IEM - Help A Newbie - Please!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 11:25:10 PM »

I have some how been elected the sound technician for our band. Probably because I bought the sound board and have at least touched a mixer. Lucky me! We are wanting to set up a wired IEM system. The board is a Behringer X2222USB (1/4 TS AUX out) and I am looking to purchase a Behringer Powerplay HA6000 headphone amp (1/4 TSR/XLR L/R main). I do not want just a L/R Main FOH mix (non-tweakable) or multiple AUX out individual mixes (do not have enough AUX sends) as per the users manual. I really want a single (everyone gets the same mix) but tweakable mix. So here is the question. Can I split a single AUX send (TS to TS-TS y cable) to the headphone amp L/R main? In my head this works but I'm not sure it actually will. I have heard that some people with output the mixer headphone jack to the headphone amp. I do not really like this option either as it is non-tweakable and just a FOH mix. Any input is appreciated. If I'm way off that OK to. I'm a newbie and I'm still learning. Please be nice.  :)

You can actually take an single Aux out from the mixer to the HA6000 Left input using a TS to TS cable and then just switch the outputs to Mono from the L input on the HA6000 if you just want a shared aux mix to all the channels. Aux 1 would be unaffected by the faders on the mixer.  Aux 2 would be post fader so would be affected by the faders on the mixer.  both possibilities have their advantages.

If you want to get really creative, you can take an output from the first 6 inputs insert points of the mixer to the individual aux inputs of the HA6000.  You could then do a basic "whole band" mix using the Aux and then add a "More Me" for each headphone output to individual taste using the Aux Input knob on the HA6000. 

If you want to do this, there are a couple of options wrt to cabling it depending on exactly how the insert points on this board are wired.  I can elaborate if you're interested.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Eric Carrier

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 11:17:40 AM »

You can actually take an single Aux out from the mixer to the HA6000 Left input using a TS to TS cable and then just switch the outputs to Mono from the L input on the HA6000 if you just want a shared aux mix to all the channels. Aux 1 would be unaffected by the faders on the mixer.  Aux 2 would be post fader so would be affected by the faders on the mixer.  both possibilities have their advantages.

If you want to get really creative, you can take an output from the first 6 inputs insert points of the mixer to the individual aux inputs of the HA6000.  You could then do a basic "whole band" mix using the Aux and then add a "More Me" for each headphone output to individual taste using the Aux Input knob on the HA6000. 

If you want to do this, there are a couple of options wrt to cabling it depending on exactly how the insert points on this board are wired.  I can elaborate if you're interested.

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your input. I have no formal training and in a lot of ways I'm totally winging this. I'm happy to know that it will work the way I envisioned it. I was concerned that if I used a single 1/4 TS cable from the mixer to the headphone amp L channel that when we plugged in our headphones we would only hear the left speaker. I was going to split the signal so that we could get a simulated (not true stereo) L/R signal. Is this the case?

I have 3 AUX sends. AUX 1 is pre fader, AUX 2 can be set to pre, and AUX 3 is FX but (I think) can be used as a pre fader AUX. I was considering setting up 3 separate signals. AUX 1 singer (I suspect that she will want a bit "more me" than anyone else.) , AUX 2 everyone else (Should I run this signal to the main or split to 2 separate AUX channels on the headphone amp?), and AUX 3 drums. The drummer needs a separate feed as I need to run a monitor mix back to his small click/backing track mixer. Would this be a better idea than my single AUX to everyone?

brian maddox

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:14:05 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your input. I have no formal training and in a lot of ways I'm totally winging this. I'm happy to know that it will work the way I envisioned it. I was concerned that if I used a single 1/4 TS cable from the mixer to the headphone amp L channel that when we plugged in our headphones we would only hear the left speaker. I was going to split the signal so that we could get a simulated (not true stereo) L/R signal. Is this the case?

I have 3 AUX sends. AUX 1 is pre fader, AUX 2 can be set to pre, and AUX 3 is FX but (I think) can be used as a pre fader AUX. I was considering setting up 3 separate signals. AUX 1 singer (I suspect that she will want a bit "more me" than anyone else.) , AUX 2 everyone else (Should I run this signal to the main or split to 2 separate AUX channels on the headphone amp?), and AUX 3 drums. The drummer needs a separate feed as I need to run a monitor mix back to his small click/backing track mixer. Would this be a better idea than my single AUX to everyone?

Firstly, your thinking wrt sending a mono signal and it only being heard in the left speaker is normally correct, but the HA6000 has a button for each output that allows eithe the L or R [or both] to be made mono so they will come out both ears.  So that's sorted.

Now as to your Auxes being pre or post.  I strongly suspect that Aux 3 [the FX] will NOT be able to be switched to pre.  From a practical standpoint that might still be okay, but it's worth noting.

Given what you said with the 3 Aux mixes, i would do this.  Run Aux 1 from the mixer into Aux 1 input on the HA6000.  That output's balance control would be set all the way to the left [aux] so that it only hears the Aux input.  Aux 2 from your mixer would go into the Main L input of the HA6000.  Any band member that needs to hear this would have their HA6000 output set to mono L and the balance control all the way to the Right [main].  Your Aux 3 for the drummer would be routed and set to their headphone output in the same as Aux 1 was for your singer.

Hope that's helpful.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Eric Carrier

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 01:50:40 PM »

Firstly, your thinking wrt sending a mono signal and it only being heard in the left speaker is normally correct, but the HA6000 has a button for each output that allows eithe the L or R [or both] to be made mono so they will come out both ears.  So that's sorted.

Now as to your Auxes being pre or post.  I strongly suspect that Aux 3 [the FX] will NOT be able to be switched to pre.  From a practical standpoint that might still be okay, but it's worth noting.

Given what you said with the 3 Aux mixes, i would do this.  Run Aux 1 from the mixer into Aux 1 input on the HA6000.  That output's balance control would be set all the way to the left [aux] so that it only hears the Aux input.  Aux 2 from your mixer would go into the Main L input of the HA6000.  Any band member that needs to hear this would have their HA6000 output set to mono L and the balance control all the way to the Right [main].  Your Aux 3 for the drummer would be routed and set to their headphone output in the same as Aux 1 was for your singer.

Brilliant! Thank you so much. I will try it the way to recommended.

Hope that's helpful.

Terry Martin

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 10:40:59 AM »

Ive never run an IEM system with a “band mix” and a “more me” mix, but from experience I will say that I wouldn’t like that.  Sorry

...but it is a start in the right direction!

Based on our travels, every weekend - and typically 2 different venues a weekend - we adjust individual instruments often - just based on the venue (as we are all direct, other than drums).  Proximity of front line musicians to FOH cabinets is the reason for changes.  They are small changes, but necessary. 

Good luck and keep asking questions.   IEMs will be the best thing you’ve ever done with your band for many reasons. 

TM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian maddox

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 12:13:24 PM »

Ive never run an IEM system with a “band mix” and a “more me” mix, but from experience I will say that I wouldn’t like that.  Sorry

...but it is a start in the right direction!

Based on our travels, every weekend - and typically 2 different venues a weekend - we adjust individual instruments often - just based on the venue (as we are all direct, other than drums).  Proximity of front line musicians to FOH cabinets is the reason for changes.  They are small changes, but necessary. 

Good luck and keep asking questions.   IEMs will be the best thing you’ve ever done with your band for many reasons. 

TM

Yeah, i'm not a huge fan of the "More Me" approach but i know that a lot of folks start out there using various low cost ways to achieve that goal.  And i know some that are perfectly happy with that as a solution.

I'm basically in the "i want an entire mixer with effects in stereo devoted only to ME" camp when i'm a performer.  :)  But i certainly understand that not everyone has the resources to do that and compromises must be made.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Eric Carrier

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »

Yeah, i'm not a huge fan of the "More Me" approach but i know that a lot of folks start out there using various low cost ways to achieve that goal.  And i know some that are perfectly happy with that as a solution.

I'm basically in the "i want an entire mixer with effects in stereo devoted only to ME" camp when i'm a performer.  :)  But i certainly understand that not everyone has the resources to do that and compromises must be made.

Thank you for your responses. Taking what you have said into account. I think what I have decided to do is run AUX 1 to the HA6000 L main (TS-TS) and everyone will have the same mix. We can tweak it a bit with the AUX knobs. This just seems the easiest way to go about it. "More me" is a hassle when you do not have a ton of AUX sends. I will then run AUX 2 to the drummers mixer so he can have the main mix. He uses a sub mixer to que backing tracks and for ears. I will turn off the AUX send for the backing track from the main mixer so he hears the band mix but not the backing track again as he already has the original signal at his mixer.

Our budget is limited but if you guys have other ideas I'm all ears (or in ears).  :)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 04:48:39 PM »

Just a quick comment and a pat on the back for Brian's answers.  You really covered the question and helped someone new to the forum.  That's how it should work!

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 02:47:14 PM »

Just as a caveat you might want to think about adding an ambient mic to stop the isolation Factor on iems
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

brian maddox

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 03:57:12 PM »

Thank you for your responses. Taking what you have said into account. I think what I have decided to do is run AUX 1 to the HA6000 L main (TS-TS) and everyone will have the same mix. We can tweak it a bit with the AUX knobs. This just seems the easiest way to go about it. "More me" is a hassle when you do not have a ton of AUX sends. I will then run AUX 2 to the drummers mixer so he can have the main mix. He uses a sub mixer to que backing tracks and for ears. I will turn off the AUX send for the backing track from the main mixer so he hears the band mix but not the backing track again as he already has the original signal at his mixer.

Our budget is limited but if you guys have other ideas I'm all ears (or in ears).  :)

Are you using the submix 1-2 feature in that mixer?  If not, you could use that to send to your drummer and just not assign the tracks to sub 1-2.  Just a way to buy back an Aux to use for another individualized IEM mix.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 03:57:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 24 queries.