ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Cover Issue  (Read 1035 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Speaker Cover Issue
« on: February 24, 2019, 04:06:31 pm »

I have a few of the Under Cover NYC F1 padded covers for my speakers. A couple of them have lost their padding. It has basically disintegrated over time.

After calling, Under Cover requested I send in one for analysis.  They said the padding loss was due to carbon dioxide contamination which cause it to deteriorated.

OK, I can understand that. Everything is in a trailer which is pulled by my truck. So I guess CO2 could seep into the trailer.

Not doubting what they siad, but what is still a mystery is how only 2 out of 15 covers were effected. Some of my oldest covers are not effected at all.

Has anybody had a simliar experience?
MAGA-Make Audio Great Again

Will Knight

Re: Speaker Cover Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 04:28:02 pm »

I have several from them for my PRX and SRX tops.  All recent purchases (within last 3+ years).  Havenít noticed any issue but also have not looked closely. Now that youíve mentioned it, will check this week and see if there any signs. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 04:40:43 pm »

I have several from them for my PRX and SRX tops.  All recent purchases (within last 3+ years).  Havenít noticed any issue but also have not looked closely. Now that youíve mentioned it, will check this week and see if there any signs. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of mine aren't as "robust" as when they were new, but still enough to be considered good. I guess there's some deterioration over time with any cover.

These 2 have no padding left at all. Just floppy fabric.

A friend of mine has a few with the same problem.

Maybe a bad batch? I don't know.
MAGA-Make Audio Great Again

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 09:04:49 pm »

Not sure if this is the same issue as what you are experiencing, but I've had a some foam that's used in 2 of my camera cases decompose over time.  I was told it was due to the environment (low moisture content) that would accelerate the decomposing process.  I ended up replacing the foam.  At that time, the cases were about 10 years old when the foam started falling apart.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 11:55:14 am »

Carbon Dioxide contamination? :o   At what point over 400PPM CO2, the approximate atmospheric concentration, are the covers vulnerable?  How elevated could it be in the trailer?  And only two?  Under Cover actually tests for CO2 environmental disintegration?  Or the filler manufacturer does?  What other environmental factors do they actually test for?
I'm sorry, something doesn't click with that explanation once one begins to peel the onion.

Not sure if this is the same issue as what you are experiencing, but I've had a some foam that's used in 2 of my camera cases decompose over time.  I was told it was due to the environment (low moisture content) that would accelerate the decomposing process.  I ended up replacing the foam.  At that time, the cases were about 10 years old when the foam started falling apart.

All the petrochemical foams, vinyls, etc. outgas which will affect the integrity of the foam.  M/C helmets are recommended to be replaced at five-year intervals because the manufacturer knows the foam breaks down over time.   You know that nasty film that is nearly impossible to get off your car windshield?  Thats the deposits of the petrochemicals after outgassing from your car interior.  Sunlight, heat, and ozone are factors known to increase the rate of outgassing. 
frank

Art Welter

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 06:22:38 pm »

So I guess CO2 could seep into the trailer.

Not doubting what they siad, but what is still a mystery is how only 2 out of 15 covers were effected. Some of my oldest covers are not effected at all.
As Frank implied, carbon dioxide "contamination" is not the culprit.
As he mentions, plastics out gas, my guess is the recent "decomposing" covers are on some plastic speakers (or even speaker foam) that are out gassing. Certain combinations do nasty things- I have worked with various plastics that are fine until in a close non-ventilated proximity to another type of plastic for an extended period, then they turn to a sticky mess, or even degraded to something the consistency of creamy peanut butter.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 06:24:40 pm »

the result of global warming. NOT !!!

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 06:24:40 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.