ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: GK bass cab replacement woofer(s)  (Read 10070 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: GK bass cab replacement woofer(s)
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2019, 11:49:31 AM »

I remember that topic.

Art brought up a good suggestion.

To check the amp for DC just put a VOM on the DC setting, if it has a range setting put it on one of the lower ranges, hopefully you do not need to move it to a higher voltage range.

Open up the speakon connector and measure across 1+ and 1-.
You will most likely something in the sub one volt reading .0XXX maybe .XXX. If you get into the solid two volts and higher I would say something is going on with the amp.

Check it with the amp disconnected from the speaker and connected to the speaker to see you get a different reading.

Also just watch the speaker cones and see if they move when you connect the amp. If they move at all and stay in a forward or backward position to any degree that is not a good sign!

Mike... I got around (finally) to testing this amp for DC v leakage but I am not quite sure what I am doing to be honest- I have only ever really used my meter for connectivity so I am a bit unsure of how to do this properly. 
If I set the meter at '2' on the DC v side and measure across +1 and -1,  I get a reading of .007
Does that sound right?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2019, 12:07:09 PM »

Mike... I got around (finally) to testing this amp for DC v leakage but I am not quite sure what I am doing to be honest- I have only ever really used my meter for connectivity so I am a bit unsure of how to do this properly. 
If I set the meter at '2' on the DC v side and measure across +1 and -1,  I get a reading of .007
Does that sound right?

I take the "2" setting was the lower 2 volt range on the meter.
The "James Bond" .007 reading is fine.

There's a very slim chance a pedal or the output of an active bass is pass DC to the amp but that most likely would be taken care with blocking caps on the input circuit.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2019, 12:09:24 PM »

I take the "2" setting was the lower 2 volt range on the meter.
The "James Bond" .007 reading is fine.

There's a very slim chance a pedal or the output of an active bass is pass DC to the amp but that most likely would be taken care with blocking caps on the input circuit.

Actually the lowest is 200m. That reading is 6.8.....which makes sense.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »

Can I check the DI output in a similar manner?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2019, 03:20:41 PM »

Can I check the DI output in a similar manner?

Yes, check for voltage across pins 2 & 3 and then across pin 1 & 2 and pins 1 & 3

The 2 volt range setting will be fine to start.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »

Yes, check for voltage across pins 2 & 3 and then across pin 1 & 2 and pins 1 & 3

The 2 volt range setting will be fine to start.

Thanks for your help Mike.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2019, 10:52:23 AM »

New woofer installed, Broughton HPF used in line and VOILA! Everything sounds good again - happy hubby.
Thanks everyone.

I have always wanted to try my hand at re-coning. I watched a few videos a while back and it takes quite a skill and some patience to do it right. I have a couple of drivers in my attic that  I could experiment on  ( yes - the 2 GK 10" woofers) - I think it would be fun.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2019, 01:19:48 PM »

New woofer installed, Broughton HPF used in line and VOILA! Everything sounds good again - happy hubby.
Thanks everyone.

I have always wanted to try my hand at re-coning. I watched a few videos a while back and it takes quite a skill and some patience to do it right. I have a couple of drivers in my attic that  I could experiment on  ( yes - the 2 GK 10" woofers) - I think it would be fun.

Just be prepared to find glue in places you would never expect by the time you're done.. ::)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2019, 03:01:29 PM »

Just be prepared to find glue in places you would never expect by the time you're done.. ::)
Chris.

Gosh - I won't ask  ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2019, 03:01:29 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.