ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Onyx Obsidian licensing ? Hardware ?  (Read 3194 times)

Mal Brown

Onyx Obsidian licensing ? Hardware ?
« on: February 23, 2019, 11:32:26 PM »

Think I’m throwing in the towel on QLC+.  Trying to figure out the bits and pieces of Onyx.  Do I need to buy a controller or will this run off my win 10 laptop and eDMX 1 Ethernet to  dmx/artnet box.

The controllers M-Touch and M-DMX look pretty cool.  Any thoughts there ?
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

duane massey

Re: Onyx Obsidian licensing ? Hardware ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 01:32:41 AM »

I spent several hours trying to make the M-Touch suitable for a client who has NO skills or experience. Way over his (and my head), so we went with a Show Designer 1. I don't believe the software will work with anything other than a Martin/Elation interface.
I will be selling the M-Touch along with a PC in the very near future, as I have no need for it. The M-Touch is very impressive, just not suitable for the purpose.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Matthias McCready

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 08:41:19 AM »

Think I’m throwing in the towel on QLC+.  Trying to figure out the bits and pieces of Onyx.  Do I need to buy a controller or will this run off my win 10 laptop and eDMX 1 Ethernet to  dmx/artnet box.

This is Martin's M-PC software rebranded after it was sold to elation correct?

If memory serves correctly this is the case and I have been using the Obsidian website to figure out M-PC (which is yes out dated, as is the computer its running on). If this is the case I think they are roughly the same program,

My understanding is that downloads are free and that it will work with non-proprietary hardware, although they of course hope you will buy into their hardware.

As someone who is fairly new to DMX and who is not an LD by any means I found it very easy to program and used for a small install a few months back. I like that the software can be configured however you want for the end user. I have it setup so it loads to a snapshot (playback or cue scenes is the technical term I think), so it does not give edit access to the user.

Basically when the software is loaded the user has about 10 presets that can be chosen from.

I would use the software again, granted I am not an LD and I have not head to mess with movers at all; so take all of this with a grain of salt.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »

What was wrong with QLC+? I just starting looking at it earlier today.

EDIT: Never mind, Just saw the other thread.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:22:43 PM by Steve Garris »

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 06:49:51 PM »

Mal, We use ONYX with the M-Play and a touchscreen laptop.  We only need one universe which we get from the M-Play.  It took me about 8 hours of watching videos and playing with the software to get it up and running.  If you do go with ONYX please make sure you use the 2D visualizer.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:18:01 PM »

Got it installed today on touchscreen laptop.  Going through some of the video now.  I sound the Fixture editor so hopefully I’ll get to test soon.  M-Touch looks pretty cool.

I was visiting a friend and lighting guy earlier today.  He uses multiple hardware controllers.  Likes the workflow.  One of them was a Blizzard ProKontrol.  Looked kinda cool for moving head control.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 12:31:34 AM »

I use the DMXKing e-dmx01 as well as an old Artistic License Downlink A and they both work fine.  I don't think the software cares too much about a specific brand of artnet converter.  Perhaps if you need RDM the specific brand and model might make a difference.

I have not actually upgraded to ONYX and still use the last release of M-PC.

I don't any hardware surface, just a touchscreen laptop and external touchscreen monitor.  For  simple shows I just use the laptop.  For more immersive shows I use the laptop and the 24" external touchscreen monitor to get more separate workspace panels visible at  the same time.  I also use up to 2x iPads with OSC as dedicated fader banks. (This is the only way I have found to get more than 1x "independent" fader banks to display at the same time with the free version.

That ends up being a lot of screen real estate and is basically a crutch for me to see everything at once.  If I had more LD experience, really knew the software or my own setup better, or perhaps had my programming set up more intelligently, I am sure I could get by with a lot less.

On a single laptop screen, with the number of different playbacks I seem to need, they get a little small to see. Much better with the extra screen.

Fader operation and button presses on a touchscreen is not really ideal and I am sure some sort of surface would be better.  But this is sort of a sideline to sound so I have not wanted to invest the money and time into adding another piece of hardware.

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 12:31:34 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.