ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with old recorders?  (Read 5374 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
What to do with old recorders?
« on: February 23, 2019, 11:10:15 PM »

So I have several older recorders in my truck that I'm not going to use and trying to figure out what to do with them. Or if they are worth keeping.

I have a pair of Tascam X48 hard disc recorders, an Alesis Masterlink ML9600, a Tascam CD-A700 CD player/cassette recorder, a Sony PCM R500 DAT recorder, and an HHB Burnit CD recorder.

The HHB CD recorder is probably the most useful to me, I think.

But none of these other items seem to sell, since I have been watching auctions for them on eBay.

Are these recorders worth keeping? The Tascams are kind of interesting, as they will record 48 channels at 96k (supposedly). But they are of limited use to me since they don't have either a Digilink port for Protools, or a Dante connection. And I'm trying to streamline everything to run on Dante (and eventually adding Madi) and record to Protools and a hard disc recorder like a JoeCo BBR64 Dante or the Tascam DA-6400 as back up.

My main interface is a Focusrite Red 8 Pre, with a True Systems Precision 8 mic preamp and a pair of Focusrite Clarett Octopres, and then the DM2000 that I have which will network to the Red 8 Pre with the MY16-AUD Dante cards. It will give me 64 channels recording at 48k, or 40 to 48 channels at 96k depending on how I configure things.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Douglas R. Allen

Re: What to do with old recorders?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 08:17:53 AM »

I know how you feel. Although not in the same league I have a Fostex D1624 and D824, midi linkable for 24 channels. Installed DB +4dbu cards in them with Adat and 4 hard drives and have no idea what to do with them. They have a great "sound" at 24bit. I used Adat out from a Yamaha 01v96 to them and it made a great sound check , live sound tape recorder easy kind of setup.

Its kind of sad to see such great sounding gear just sit but most today just use a DAW from a desk and or use like me a X-Live card installed in their desk for basic recordings/soundchecks.

I guess I could hit ebay and see what they go for. I know the 1624 I still have the original box for and it was very close to $3000 new. The 824 around $1900 or so. Betting they go for change now. 

Douglas R. Allen

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »

Its odd to hear those called old recorders. I remember when the wheels fell off the large format magnetic tape machine market.

New technology tends to obsolete itself.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 01:24:30 PM »

If you have depreciated them they have a value of $0 and any amount you sell them for is capital gain as far as the IRS in concearned.
Put the hhb in your home stereo?
The masterlink might be useful to do short run cd duplication if you have that need.

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 01:34:59 PM »

When I saw old recorders I was thinking Stairway To Heaven and a Zeppelin Tribute...  I am similarly happy about the glyph FireWire external drives I bought...  guess I can back up my Mac on them anyway ;-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 01:57:18 PM »

Best bet is to turn them into Steampunk lamps.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »

If you have depreciated them they have a value of $0 and any amount you sell them for is capital gain as far as the IRS in concearned.
Put the hhb in your home stereo?
The masterlink might be useful to do short run cd duplication if you have that need.
And Therin lies the rub. Are they useful today still? The Masterlink will burn Redbook format CDs. But, is that a thing any more? Maybe I should keep the Alesis and sell the HHB?

Do I need a DAT machine? My fear is that I’ll sell it, and then a job might come in to transfer a bunch of DATs to CD or digital files. “Dang, I had a DAT machine, but sold it three years ago because I didn’t think I would ever use it!”

And a cassette deck!? Pfft.

At the same time, I only have so much space available in my truck and these take up a lot of it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:14:40 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Lyle Williams

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 02:58:07 PM »

The space they occupy is valuable.  They aren't going to get better with age.  The best time to sell them was seven years ago.  The second best time to sell them is today.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 06:20:48 PM »

It looks like on a good day a working Alesis Masterlink is still selling for upwards to $200 on Ebay.

Personally it has been years since I've seen a working Masterlink. They've either had hard drive issues and or will not read CD's. I got one about a year ago in pile of surplus equipment and it would not boot up.
It still sold for about $50.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 06:53:21 PM »

It looks like on a good day a working Alesis Masterlink is still selling for upwards to $200 on Ebay.

Personally it has been years since I've seen a working Masterlink. They've either had hard drive issues and or will not read CD's. I got one about a year ago in pile of surplus equipment and it would not boot up.
It still sold for about $50.

Ten years ago someone donated a near mint MasterLink to the Church i was working at.  I Wanted it to be something super cool and useful, but in truth i never figured out anything to do with it.  I do recall that it had quirks, as all older gears does.  i'm pretty sure it had an IDE hard drive or maybe even SCSI.  Not Sure.  I just remember being excited to get it and never really actually using it.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 06:53:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.