ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: S6L vs. PM10 vs. SD7 [or whatever digicos comp is] cost?  (Read 18021 times)

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
Re: S6L vs. PM10 vs. SD7 [or whatever digicos comp is] cost?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 05:18:44 PM »

I didn't look at channel count to make my comparisons.  99% of shows are less than 72 inputs.  What I look at is who is carrying them or spec'ing them on tours or events of a similar level.

Maybe it's more fair to say that S6L 24C with E112 engine is in line with an SD12.  I think prices would be similar as well.

I think those two consoles are a reasonable comparison.  When looking at what is showing up on riders  one needs to consider how long a console has been on the market and has had a fair chance at gaining acceptability (or not).  At our level, we find the SD8 to be the most requested in Digico world.  We do see the SD12 making inroads.  I think the channel bump is going to make the SD12 a very acceptable alternative to the SD8.  We'll see.  One thing I know for sure is that I have been wrong before.  :-)
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 10:51:47 PM »

I think those two consoles are a reasonable comparison.  When looking at what is showing up on riders  one needs to consider how long a console has been on the market and has had a fair chance at gaining acceptability (or not).  At our level, we find the SD8 to be the most requested in Digico world.  We do see the SD12 making inroads.  I think the channel bump is going to make the SD12 a very acceptable alternative to the SD8.  We'll see.  One thing I know for sure is that I have been wrong before.  :-)

Well, here's hoping that the SD12 pairs well with WPL.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 09:56:31 AM »

If I were in the market for a console, I’d first check with Clair Global. Those guys have some pretty nice stuff and it’s usually discounted pretty heavily (used, but well maintained)...

Here’s an SD7 they had:
https://clairusedgear.com/products/digico-sd7

When I toured their facilities last year, they had a ton of PLM20000 amps for around $3300. That’s just insane.

Tom A over at Clair Global is also one heckuva nice guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 12:27:34 PM »

If I were in the market for a console, I’d first check with Clair Global. Those guys have some pretty nice stuff and it’s usually discounted pretty heavily (used, but well maintained)...

Here’s an SD7 they had:
https://clairusedgear.com/products/digico-sd7

When I toured their facilities last year, they had a ton of PLM20000 amps for around $3300. That’s just insane.

Tom A over at Clair Global is also one heckuva nice guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom is a great guy to work with.  :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 12:42:44 PM »

Ok, so granted it's been about 3 years, but the last MSRP price I got for a PM10 with 128 inputs and 32 outputs, the SILK input cards, the price was right at the $165,000 mark. The S6L was right in the same range, with equivalent I/O.

I haven't had an occasion to price out an SD7, but from what I heard, they are in the $220-250,000 range.

Wow, no wonder show ticket costs are so high!  (It would have to be for any reasonable ROI after buying rest of gear, labor and artist pay)
-guess I'm out of touch.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 12:47:14 PM »

Wow, no wonder show ticket costs are so high!  (It would have to be for any reasonable ROI after buying rest of gear, labor and artist pay)
-guess I'm out of touch.

As much as I'd love for us to own a fleet of new AVIDs, Yamahas and DiGiCos, the lack of demand (and clients willing to pay extra) means we'll keep sending out X32s and the occasional SC48 when a rider comes in to play. Can't financially justify otherwise.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 01:08:32 PM »

-guess I'm out of touch.

Big touring shows don't buy their consoles (with the rare exception). They rent them from production companies who buy them and supply for multiple tours over the life of the console.

Compared to the fees that the artists and all the other labor get, the cost of an audio console is negligible for a year long world tour.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »

Big touring shows don't buy their consoles (with the rare exception). They rent them from production companies who buy them and supply for multiple tours over the life of the console.

Compared to the fees that the artists and all the other labor get, the cost of an audio console is negligible for a year long world tour.

I would guess that if the touring sound person had to buy their console of choice to tour with we would see a shift in what they really needed to get the job done.

Kind of glad I don't play in the world of five and six digit price figure consoles.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 02:11:04 PM »

-guess I'm out of touch.

Actually a little mental math yields pretty similar numbers for a typical analog FOH rig in the 80's [when  a lot of this stuff was custom built and wicked expensive] or the 90's/2K's [when channel counts rose along with oversized effects rack].  It's still admittedly a lot of money, but i don't think it's gone up appreciably. 
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »

Actually a little mental math yields pretty similar numbers for a typical analog FOH rig in the 80's [when  a lot of this stuff was custom built and wicked expensive] or the 90's/2K's [when channel counts rose along with oversized effects rack].  It's still admittedly a lot of money, but i don't think it's gone up appreciably.

The great thing about digital these days is you can now easily share consoles between acts and not be limited to 8 channels for the openers on a 48 channel desk.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 02:27:59 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.