ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro/9650/Dante - issue returning audio to desk  (Read 2002 times)

Kevin McDonough

Midas Pro/9650/Dante - issue returning audio to desk
« on: February 21, 2019, 07:01:30 PM »

Hey all

Got asked to do a little audio recording for a band doing a video shoot, they wanted it multitracked for later mix down.

Borrowed a 9650 with a Dante card, and so hooked up the system consisting of my Pro1 - 9650 with Dante64 card - network switch - two pc laptops (running properly licenced Dante virtual sound card and waves tracks live) both recording so I had some redundancy.

The actual record went fine, everything was patched and laptops both saw audio as needed. However at one point I decided to play some audio back just to hear what it was like. Everything was patched and set as needed in desk, but when I went into Dante controller and tried to assign one of the laptops to send audio back to the 9650, it wouldnt send. I just kept getting little red circular no symbols instead of green ticks.

Wasn't a big deal, I still got the recording, and didn't have time to faff with it.

Out of curiosity went down tonight and hooked it back up again just to see if I could work out what the issue was. This time however I hooked up a MBP (again running DVS and Tracks Live) as well as one of the PC laptops, just to see if it would be different. Sure enough, in the Dante controller I could patch the MBP to send audio back to the 9650 and into the desk, but still little red no symbols when I tried with the PC.

Obviously it's some windows setting somewhere, but have checked all the settings I can think of, and everything seems to be set matching on both the mac and pc, so not sure what the issue is.  Would like to get an answer/solution, just so that if I'm ever in this situation in the future and somethung has to be p I ayed back from PC I can make it work.

Anyone experienced this before?

K

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Midas Pro/9650/Dante - issue returning audio to desk
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:23:47 PM »

I've seen this a few times. What version of DVS are you running?

Also, I'm 93% certain that you can only have one computer running DVS at a time per console. That may have been your issue, if the Mac was already patched. You would have to remove the Mac and repatch the Windows laptop to confirm.

Also, ave you confirmed that both laptops were running the correct sample rate? Dante Controller won't let you patch across different sample rates.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 10:01:03 PM »

Also, I'm 93% certain that you can only have one computer running DVS at a time per console. That may have been your issue, if the Mac was already patched. You would have to remove the Mac and repatch the Windows laptop to confirm.

Also, ave you confirmed that both laptops were running the correct sample rate? Dante Controller won't let you patch across different sample rates.

That doesn’t make sense. DVS is just a Dante device. That would be like saying you could only have one console per network.
It could be a Yamaha thing but a console can have a bunch of stage boxes.

The data rate thing? Ya maybe the PC was running at a different rate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 10:21:37 PM »

Except DVS isn’t a Dante device. It’s a software emulation. And one which has some strange quirks and odd malfunctions that are characteristic only to DVS and not real hardware devices.

I’ve had some very annoying and very random malfunctions with DVS that I was never able to fix, nor reproduce, on both Mac and Windows. I have yet to have any problems with any Dante hardware device.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 10:31:52 PM »

Except DVS isn’t a Dante device. It’s a software emulation. And one which has some strange quirks and odd malfunctions that are characteristic only to DVS and not real hardware devices.

I’ve had some very annoying and very random malfunctions with DVS that I was never able to fix, nor reproduce, on both Mac and Windows. I have yet to have any problems with any Dante hardware device.

The only official limitation I know of on DVS (which doesn't apply to Dante Via) is that it cannot be used as a clock source for a Dante network.

Unofficially, of course, DVS is a bit of a hack. Part of the reason in my mind that Dante works as well as it does is because all the network nodes that talk Dante are made by the same manufacturer...except for DVS and Dante Via. I'm personally a little wary of relying on DVS for show-critical infrastructure.

To the OP, given that you're only running into this issue on your Windows computers, as a troubleshooting step have you tried disabling any firewalls on those machines?

-Russ

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 10:45:54 PM »

I'm personally a little wary of relying on DVS for show-critical infrastructure.

I agree. I had one really bad DVS malfunction where it seemingly changed sample rates in the middle of a playback show and put hard static into the music. Had to reboot the computer and console to fix it. This was on a MacPro running QLab. I was never able to reproduce the problem.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 12:05:01 AM »

Can’t speak to Yamaha but Dante hardware is quite capable of communicating with more than one DVS session.  I have a client with a SD12 w/DMI-Dante card that has at least two, maybe 3 computers running DVS connected to it.  Zero problems so far.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 06:58:33 AM »

thanks for all the replies

Sample rates were all set to the same, 48K, and all the copies of Waves were set to multi-out so should have been outputting individual channels of audio. But yeah will have a look at data rate and make sure that was set OK.

K

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »

thanks for all the replies

Don't forget to check for firewalls, too, especially if the setup is working on Mac but not Windows. Windows Firewall does some special things on networks it doesn't trust (but we do) that can really break some of the software we rely on.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.