ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Maryland Electricians Act  (Read 5422 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Maryland Electricians Act
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 05:24:00 PM »

Let me get serious for a second...
Craig Hauber mentioned 48, and was concerned about not getting credit for his 32 years of AV install experience (would he be a Maryland resident, or work in Maryland). (no disrespect intended, Craig)

I have to have experience AND pass the exam, or an apprenticeship will allow me to skip the exam.

I've got a decade (or two) on your age - 10 years in live audio - been running cat5 since cat5 was first starting to be installed as a minimum standard, replacing coax ethernet) Apprenticeship? To whom?

I don't know why Maryland has it in for me -

The title of the second bill, and the first (run on) sentence of the bill stating intentions.
(all emphasis, mine)

A BILL ENTITLED
AN ACT concerning
Electricians - Low-Voltage Electricians, Continuing Education, and Penalties

"... consist of a certain course or training, and be administered by certain persons; requiring an applicant for a low-voltage electrician license to have been engaged or employed regularly in providing electrical services for at least a certain period of time; requiring a low-voltage electrician to take a certain examination, except under certain circumstances; requiring the State Board to grant a waiver to the examination requirement for certain applicants for a low-voltage electrician license who complete a certain apprenticeship program; providing that the State Board shall waive the examination requirement for a certain applicant for a low-voltage electrician license, under certain circumstances, if the applicant submits a license on or before a certain date; authorizing the State Board to waive the examination requirement for certain out-of-State low-voltage electricians;

Maryland: Oh! What a state I'm in!
(anyone looking for a reliable, knowledgable employee in the mountain states?  I'm gonna need a new home soon.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:41:51 PM by frank kayser »

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 07:22:23 PM »

got a problem?  Call the goverment.  No one can fix things like the goverment can.   The only good news I can see is the State isn't to big, so you don't need to move to far away to get work.

Me. I am stuck in New York State and working on my list of states that I could move to.   

NY is number one in people leaving.
Not to Code

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 08:30:13 PM »

You have not looked at Illinois 

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 01:25:12 AM »

BTW, will I still be allowed to run my own mic cables? Power cords?

Several years ago at a local port facility, there was a big dispute over which union got to connect (cord and plug) reefer shipping containers to shore power: the longshoremen (ILWU) or the electricians (IBEW).

I think they eventually got it sorted out, but at the expense of losing some major shippers at the port due to work slowdowns.

So, I'll quote Ivan Beaver and say, “It depends.”
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »

Several years ago at a local port facility, there was a big dispute over which union got to connect (cord and plug) reefer shipping containers to shore power: the longshoremen (ILWU) or the electricians (IBEW).

I think they eventually got it sorted out, but at the expense of losing some major shippers at the port due to work slowdowns.

So, I'll quote Ivan Beaver and say, “It depends.”

Similar jurisdictional silliness at McCormick Place in Chicago - IATSE stagehand places the mic & stand, IBEW electrician runs the microphone cable and plugs it in.

When I have something there I double my usual labor estimate for hours and 3x for the price.  I'm usually not far off.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 10:55:04 PM »

You have not looked at Illinois

No,  never crossed my mind.  I just assumed Chicago spoils the whole state.
Not to Code

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 10:30:53 PM »

Let me get serious for a second...
Craig Hauber mentioned 48, and was concerned about not getting credit for his 32 years of AV install experience (would he be a Maryland resident, or work in Maryland). (no disrespect intended, Craig)
Sorry, I was being hypothetical as though I was living in that situation.
Although the way some state's laws end up being copied by others it could be an eventuality for all of us.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 12:11:07 AM »

Although the way some state's laws end up being copied by others it could be an eventuality for all of us.

Not too likely here in Montana, Craig.  No telling about ND, however.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 12:15:24 AM »

Similar jurisdictional silliness at McCormick Place in Chicago - IATSE stagehand places the mic & stand, IBEW electrician runs the microphone cable and plugs it in.

When I have something there I double my usual labor estimate for hours and 3x for the price.  I'm usually not far off.
Unions can be a good thing, but jurisdictional silliness can get ridiculous.
Makes me recall an old joke not too far off from some “alternate realities” experienced in my formative years, I’ll attribute it to some NYC IATSE brothers around 1978, as close as I recall it went like this:

Cold winter day, the stage door is opened promptly at the load in call time, but before the Teamsters begin unloading the truck, a 200 pound Great Dane walks onstage and drops a steaming pile.
The Steward calls for the Janitor to remove the shit, but he refuses- it’s “on the deck”, his union is not allowed to work there after stage call. The Stagehand department refuses involvement, as the pile also partly resides on a electrical pocket, the Electrician’s jurisdiction. The Electrician notes the pile is steaming, so is under the Prop department’s purvey. By the time the property master arrives, the shit is no longer steaming, he tells the Steward to call the Janitor, who is now on break…

P.S. "No Animals Were Harmed®" in the production of this joke, and any reference to "he" may also be inferred as "she", "they" or "dem guys"  ;).

Art
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:31:06 AM by Art Welter »

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 04:40:17 PM »

No. No. No, Craig.  No "sorry" necessary.  That's how we all think through a problem - put ourselves in that position hypothetically and see how that may affect us.  My apologies for my unfortunate language.  I can't imagine why I phrased as I did. 
Unfortunately, you're right about the spread of overregulation in the states - monkey-state see, monkey-state do.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 04:40:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.