ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 70-volt speakers  (Read 4762 times)

Stephen Beatty

Re: 70-volt speakers
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 10:24:50 AM »

We have always used 70V at the University. If you suspect there is a speaker that does not have a transformer in the line and is causing issues then just plug the speaker feed into a 120V outlet for a minute. That will tell you were the offended unit was.

I got that from that great tome Sound System Engineering by Don & Carolyn Davis.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 10:27:04 AM »

IIRC school installations used 35V tap.

JR
I see 25V taps on older equipment all the time when out on service calls, never seen a 35V?
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 10:42:46 AM »

I see 25V taps on older equipment all the time when out on service calls, never seen a 35V?
I've been working hard to forget stuff like that,,,  yes, my bad 25V.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 06:54:49 AM »

I've been working hard to forget stuff like that,,,  yes, my bad 25V.

JR

Like I tried to forget RS232 data control of modern Video projectors? RXD and TXD and DTR, oh my... 

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »

Like I tried to forget RS232 data control of modern Video projectors? RXD and TXD and DTR, oh my...

McNamara. Want a copy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mike Sokol

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 12:19:42 AM »

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 09:53:00 AM »

IIRC school installations used 35V tap.

JR

Nearly all the school installations I've done and seen (for modern, school-wide paging/intercom in Texas) are nominal 25V systems. In particular, I mean Telecor and Bogen systems. Local systems (those confined to one or two rooms) are either 70V or low-Z (4 to 16 ohms).
P.S. The word "tap" in this sense refers to the wattage setting on the speaker transformer.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 10:12:30 AM »

Nearly all the school installations I've done and seen (for modern, school-wide paging/intercom in Texas) are nominal 25V systems. In particular, I mean Telecor and Bogen systems. Local systems (those confined to one or two rooms) are either 70V or low-Z (4 to 16 ohms).
P.S. The word "tap" in this sense refers to the wattage setting on the speaker transformer.
I went back and corrected my erroneous post so you sweethearts can stop quoting my mistake.  :o

By tap I meant which winding of the output transformer the voltage was taken from. Install amps routinely had a series of different output voltage "taps", ranging from direct low Z up to as high as 70V (domestic) or 100V (international). For school system installs they used the lower voltage tap, no doubt as a safety concern, while still realizing some elevated voltage benefit.

Since schools still used 120V lighting maybe they should have re-evaluated that decision, to reduce cost from specialty components.  ::) 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 12:18:14 PM »

I went back and corrected my erroneous post so you sweethearts can stop quoting my mistake.  :o
JR

But I read it on the internet, so it must be true! ::)
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 08:30:06 AM »

Now I have to correct my initial thread header to read 70.7 volts and NOT 70 volts. I wonder in any of you know why that seemingly arbitrarily chosen number was derived. Here's the reason which I remember reading about perhaps 20 years ago.

I'm not sure of the exact code section, but apparently there's a 100-volt maximum limit on this class of wiring (Class 3, I think) in this type of installation. But that's a 100 volt "peak" rating, not RMS. Of course, you need to multiply the RMS voltage by the square root of 2 to get the peak volts. Since the square root of 2 (Root Mean Square for RMS) is 1.414213562373095, and 70.7 volts times 1.414213562373095 equals 99.984898597778 volts, this is just UNDER the 100-volt maximum peak.

I'm sorry, but that's all the decimal places on my iPhone app or I would be more exact.  :o

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 08:30:06 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.