ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus StudioLive Series 3 - anyone using this?  (Read 5473 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Presonus StudioLive Series 3 - anyone using this?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 12:18:24 PM »

The Soundcraft Si series pretty much doesn't use the touch screen for mixing.
It's for routing, setup, and adjusting FX mostly.
Pretty much everything you do DURING a show is at your fingertips.
The ViSi app sucks, but it does let me have an ipad mini on a little stand as a meter bridge.
Dev-core is working on a version of Mixing Station for these boards as we speak.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Samuel Sjöbergsson

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 12:39:21 PM »

If you mix on the board all the time the user layer is real nice on the Presonus. You can map any fader to it anywhere (Dca, sends, returns, channels, masters, etc). Also, one overlooked yet really nice workflow feature is that any parameter on screen can be touched, which automatically maps it to the rotary knob under the screen. Its really fast when working with some of the eqs and compressors.

I have not noticed the faders being slow on mine. Also, the Presonus stageboxes are sturdy and can be dropped on stage or rackmounted.

I use the  Presonus16 channel rack mixer as a stagebox in order to have a backup mixer if anything were to go wrong. Gives some piece of mind.
The soundcraft si boards and the ah sq also has fully customizable fader layers which I wouldn't wanna live without after my si expression

Mal Brown

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 12:53:57 PM »

We also use the Visi app to ring out monitors, setup monitor mixes and you can wander and mix with it.  It is clunky but it actually does work.

To me the SI series feel very analog. You don’t use the screen for much other than configuring the board.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 04:20:45 PM »

I do use the ViSi app too, mostly because there isn't an alternative.
But I've been spoiled by the UI24 app.

Sorry for the swerve.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

James Paul

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 06:47:57 PM »

Since preference of use is console rather than app, I would suggest to examine and compare the ability and method of graphics on faders on any of the boards in contemplation.

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 11:08:29 PM »

The A&H Qu series has dedicated knobs on the surface for almost all the controls (EQ, dynamics, gate, preamp, pan) per channel.  It has three layers - an input layer, an output layer for FX and mixes (and groups and matrices on the Qu 24 and 32), and a custom layer where you can lay out any channels in any order.
The input layer on the Qu series is a 1-to-1 patching scheme. 
The touch screen is nicely laid out and easy to navigate (unlike the B** X32). 
The Qu series also has PEQ and 31-band Graphic EQ on each output.
Each input channel has a Ducker (great for announcements during walk-in music). 
The Qu series also has an Automatic Mic Mixer algorithm that works extremely well (perfect for corporate meetings, interviews, Q&As, or any event where the operator has to keep microphones open on stage). 

Mal Brown

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 12:58:30 AM »

I do use the ViSi app too, mostly because there isn't an alternative.
But I've been spoiled by the UI24 app.

Sorry for the swerve.

More or less ... me too. I really like mixing on the Ui-24.  It is a great board... uh, box ;-)
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Roland Clarke

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 05:48:55 AM »

I can’t comment directly on the series III from an operational point of view, but a couple of things you should consider.

Soundwise their desks from the RM32 onwards have sounded good, I own one of these.  A friend of mine who has the series III rack mixer, told me that it only has 48/44.1 at the moment though higher rates have been promised.  Aux sends from the rack mixer are on jack outs, on the precious rm models these were cannons.

I like much of what Presonus do, but, they have a habit of orphaning products and promising future developments that don’t happen.  I and several people I know have had issues with power supply’s.  My RM32 is in for a power supply repair with their European repair shop.  They received it on the 4th December and as of today, I’ve still not received it back, about 11 weeks!

It sounds better than the Behringer X32, is less frustrating than the Qu.  Effects are decent enough.  The RM 32’s work very well as band ear systems and monitor mixing is a really easy workflow.  Much I like, but I’m not sure I would buy or recommend one because of the issues I’ve had. 

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 08:34:41 AM »

Thank you again for the suggestions and responses!

Looking through the online manual for the Series III, it makes reference to the Scribble strips and editing them using their software (on Windows or MAC)... of which I have neither.

Question: Can the scribble strips be edited using the actual console?  I have yet to see anything if this is a function of the console.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:41:09 AM by Bob Faulkner »

Sean Anderson

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »

Bob, Yes you can. There is a gear widget on each home screen on the display. You tap that then you can change color, set an icon, and put it in a name using the on display keyboard. Its a very modern app style. Very easy to do.

Also I used Presonus service recently to fix a dropped speaker and had a one week turn around. I am in the U.S. I have no doubt that thier European service can be much different.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.