ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble pulling the trigger  (Read 1928 times)

Sam Potter

Re: Trouble pulling the trigger
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 11:52:41 am »

Portability
Easy & fast Setup
Ease of use for volunteers
expandability

Disclaimer:
I have to come clean and say that I do not like the A&H digital boards. I'm just getting around to tolerating them and that's only because of their custom layers on the iPad app. So, taste aside, I will try to lay out what I think are logical reasons to go the Behringer route:

Portability

The X32 compact gives you 95% of the bang of the full-size X32 at a lower price point. For your purposes, there's no reason you can't use the X32 compact. Right now, on Sweetwater, you can get the X32 compact touring package for $3400 list and it includes the console, a case, an S32 stagebox with a case, 150' shielded ethercon to connect to the stagebox, and a furman power conditioner. That's a lot of stuff. A touring package is made for portability. You could just pop the top off of the X32 compact, plug in the ethercon and set everything else up on stage. It even leaves you with $1500 extra to purchase odds and ends. Setting this up would be easy and fast, which brings up your next focus...

Easy and fast setup

Doesn't get much easier than running one cat6 cable from FOH to the stage and simply popping the top off of the tour case that the board sits in.

X32 is likely the most community-supported board on the market. It's very easy to use and the iPad app is even easier. Everything is laid out for you, like on many boards. Another user mentioned a lot of IEM stuff, but I don't recall reading about that in your original post. Monitors are a breeze to run from this board and I highly recommend letting the sound human run monitors instead of letting the band do it themselves like on a personal-mixer style setup. There are countless videos, forums, articles, threads, posts, and journals about everything X32 related. Once you set up the backend -- which might be considered the only "weird" part -- it can be left and forgotten about. The only thing you can't do on this board that others can is locking up the board to give limited functionality to volunteers.

Expandability

There's room for two digital snakes plus the local I/O on the X32 compact. If you ever wanted to get the full-size X32 all your files would transfer over nicely, and all your equipment would work the same. No hassle. There is also built-in multitracking with the X32 series so if you wanted to start doing that, it's a fantastic option. Just plug in Logic or Pro Tools or some DAW of your choice, and the computer sees the X32 as a soundcard, voila.

I don't see many reasons to not invest in an X32 series. Affordability, expandability, and community support are my personal biggest factors and are often the biggest factors for churches. There's just so much you can do for such little cost. Other companies have yet to hit that same mark quite yet, in my humble opinion.
----
Samantha Potter
Audio & Production Engineer
spotterengineering@gmail.com

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 01:22:45 pm »

Only earlier post of the other name console I don't know if you realize it but there's I believe six different compressor options that are emulations us some very popular compressors so
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Matthias McCready

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 01:46:14 pm »

Only earlier post of the other name console I don't know if you realize it but there's I believe six different compressor options that are emulations us some very popular compressors so

This is what I mean, I did not specify that there are 6 available in my post. To the point the stock sounds better than the X32 (IMO), and you have 5 other options on every channel (which do sound good and work differently), and you are able to do parallel compression on every channel, which I do not believe the X32 can do (unless there is an option I haven't found).

In the grand scheme this is minor, however in the same room, with the same speakers, and the same band I feel like my mixes on the GLD80 have been a little better. This is subjective and maybe no one else would notice?  :P

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 11:07:38 pm »

priorities

Portability
Easy & fast Setup
expand ability

I want to say sound quality, but I'm guessing for the mixer we wouldn't notice that much difference

I really liked on the GLD we had that we could pretty much patch anything anywhere, so setting it up for volunteers and service/worship team transitions was easy.

My experience is that it is easier to train a volunteer onto a SQ5 than X32. Allen Heath workflow is a much more logical transition from analog workflow. But it really depends on if your area is a X32 town or A&H town, if you know what I mean.

SQ5 is expandable to 48 channels and it fits in a 19” rack case.

SQ responds faster, both because it’s FPGA, and its faders move faster. These result in quicker operation during critical moments.

SQ sounds better than X32, if you have an opportunity to A-B the two.

SQ has lower failure rate.

As far as I am concerned, the only advantage of X32 over SQ is the graphical LCD scribble pad. SQ shows only words and color; X32 has graphics.

Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF, Shure, Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Fred Dorado

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 01:59:48 pm »

I really thought I was set to order the sq5 and move.

Here is where I am at.

looking at the SQ5, snake, mounts and cable I am looking at about 4k- that isn't a problem, but doesn't leave much for other stuff like case, cables

Looking at some refurbished X32's Compacts on ebay through Behringer. Come with warranty etc. If I can put in offers for $1,500-1,600 for the set, I am going to go that way. If I have to buy new, I will go with SQ5.

for $2,500 difference I feel like that is worth the loss of features and potential reliability issues. If it were 1,000-1,500 I would go SQ.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 05:56:37 pm »

I really thought I was set to order the sq5 and move.

Here is where I am at.

looking at the SQ5, snake, mounts and cable I am looking at about 4k- that isn't a problem, but doesn't leave much for other stuff like case, cables

Looking at some refurbished X32's Compacts on ebay through Behringer. Come with warranty etc. If I can put in offers for $1,500-1,600 for the set, I am going to go that way. If I have to buy new, I will go with SQ5.

for $2,500 difference I feel like that is worth the loss of features and potential reliability issues. If it were 1,000-1,500 I would go SQ.

If you haven't yet ask mike Pyle (he is on the forum) for a quote on the SQ5. His services are stellar and his pricing has always been great. He may be able to get you better pricing.

Fred Dorado

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 01:37:48 am »

Mike is great, I have bought from him before and his service and pricing are awesome. He is who I got my quote from.

so, I ended up buying the X32 compact from MusicGroup on Ebay. I got a good deal and if I don't like it I will return it or probably sell it, but I think will work for us. Ended up being less than half of what A&H stuff would have been and I thought that was worth the risk,

If you haven't yet ask mike Pyle (he is on the forum) for a quote on the SQ5. His services are stellar and his pricing has always been great. He may be able to get you better pricing.

Sam Potter

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 10:56:52 am »

Mike is great, I have bought from him before and his service and pricing are awesome. He is who I got my quote from.

so, I ended up buying the X32 compact from MusicGroup on Ebay. I got a good deal and if I don't like it I will return it or probably sell it, but I think will work for us. Ended up being less than half of what A&H stuff would have been and I thought that was worth the risk,

Yes, that was a huge point I was making in my long post above. It's so much cheaper for only a few differences. If you and your team are using parallel compression on channels then you have a lot more talented volunteers than I've ever seen. Be careful not to use extra processing just because you think you should. Have a reason for every tool.

I think you'll like the X32 even though it is not the quality of a ~$5k board (which it isn't trying to be.)
----
Samantha Potter

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 12:01:18 pm »

Disclaimer:
I have to come clean and say that I do not like the A&H digital boards. I'm just getting around to tolerating them and that's only because of their custom layers on the iPad app. So, taste aside, I will try to lay out what I think are logical reasons to go the Behringer route:

Portability

The X32 compact gives you 95% of the bang of the full-size X32 at a lower price point. For your purposes, there's no reason you can't use the X32 compact. Right now, on Sweetwater, you can get the X32 compact touring package for $3400 list and it includes the console, a case, an S32 stagebox with a case, 150' shielded ethercon to connect to the stagebox, and a furman power conditioner. That's a lot of stuff. A touring package is made for portability. You could just pop the top off of the X32 compact, plug in the ethercon and set everything else up on stage. It even leaves you with $1500 extra to purchase odds and ends. Setting this up would be easy and fast, which brings up your next focus...

Easy and fast setup

Doesn't get much easier than running one cat6 cable from FOH to the stage and simply popping the top off of the tour case that the board sits in.

X32 is likely the most community-supported board on the market. It's very easy to use and the iPad app is even easier. Everything is laid out for you, like on many boards. Another user mentioned a lot of IEM stuff, but I don't recall reading about that in your original post. Monitors are a breeze to run from this board and I highly recommend letting the sound human run monitors instead of letting the band do it themselves like on a personal-mixer style setup. There are countless videos, forums, articles, threads, posts, and journals about everything X32 related. Once you set up the backend -- which might be considered the only "weird" part -- it can be left and forgotten about. The only thing you can't do on this board that others can is locking up the board to give limited functionality to volunteers.

Expandability

There's room for two digital snakes plus the local I/O on the X32 compact. If you ever wanted to get the full-size X32 all your files would transfer over nicely, and all your equipment would work the same. No hassle. There is also built-in multitracking with the X32 series so if you wanted to start doing that, it's a fantastic option. Just plug in Logic or Pro Tools or some DAW of your choice, and the computer sees the X32 as a soundcard, voila.

I don't see many reasons to not invest in an X32 series. Affordability, expandability, and community support are my personal biggest factors and are often the biggest factors for churches. There's just so much you can do for such little cost. Other companies have yet to hit that same mark quite yet, in my humble opinion.

Hi Sam and welcome to the forums!  Especially since if i agree with everything you wrote here 100 percent, right down to not really liking the A&H offerings nearly as much as most people seem to.  :)

Looking forward to hearing more in the future.  So long as you continue to agree with me.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Sam Potter

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 12:31:57 pm »

Hi Sam and welcome to the forums!  Especially since if i agree with everything you wrote here 100 percent, right down to not really liking the A&H offerings nearly as much as most people seem to.  :)

Looking forward to hearing more in the future.  So long as you continue to agree with me.  :)

Thank you, Brian! Happy to be on the forums.
In A&H's defense, I haven't played with the SQ series yet and have only had to deal with QU.
So I might like them! I just dislike QU.

Good to e-meet you, so long as we continue to mutually agree on opinions :)

----
Samantha Potter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 23 queries.