ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld vocal mics for $50 or less  (Read 4204 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Handheld vocal mics for $50 or less
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »

I have a couple choice gooseneck mics for podiums DPA and Countrymans.

For my panel discussion events I go with my AKG 535's they sound good and have decent pick up "reach". Mine all look good and have nice matching desk stands. At one of my larger panel discussion events I had out 20 of them.

Best thing with the 535 inventory is that I use them for other events, acoustic instruments, symphony orchestras, pop concert, ect.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 05:02:29 PM »

For my panel discussion events I go with my AKG 535's they sound good and have decent pick up "reach". Mine all look good and have nice matching desk stands. At one of my larger panel discussion events I had out 20 of them.

Best thing with the 535 inventory is that I use them for other events, acoustic instruments, symphony orchestras, pop concert, ect.

I really like the 535 on strings.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 07:20:34 AM »

Been there, had that done to my rig, won't take those jobs again.
Rap too. Done a couple, and never again.
Hey, I'm a "grey hair" now. No self-deprecating Rap "Artist" would have a Grey Hair running his/her sound, right?

Chris.
Old, but not obsolete.

If they're self deprecating, they might ;-)
Self respecting on the other hand...

John Lackner

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 01:16:35 PM »

Agreed!  Two totally different markets, two totally different gear needs.

But even for the crap music stuff, the SM58 is hard to beat.  It's essentially nearly indestructible.  Yeah, it's a $100 mic vs a $50 mic, but when the $50 mic breaks once and you've got to replace it, you're even!

I've built an inventory of 58's over the years vs buying cheapies.  On the lower profile gigs, I'll send out the used mics. On corporate stuff, I'll use the new ones.

Now for a panel discussion type event, the gooseneck mic looks FAR more professional than a standard mic on a stand.  Is the client willing to pay the difference for the more professional look?

Most of won't pay the difference. I have done a few events that required 20 tabletop mics on a roundtable. The cost of that many goosenecks plus the stand bases adds up quick. Yes, the gooseneck approach is superior, but...
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 02:23:43 PM »

Just curious.  How do you keep the noise of people constantly bending the gooseneck mics out?

You can get pretty good sounding cheap mics (I like the GLS from Orange County Speaker) but their isolation isn't very good for hand held, or table top with people moving papers and things around on them either.  They're Beta clones and probably too good for punkers though.

I have  couple of GLS mics and I find them to be great value. I haven't experienced handling noise myself - mine are older models though so this might have changed.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Helmke

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »

Most of won't pay the difference. I have done a few events that required 20 tabletop mics on a roundtable. The cost of that many goosenecks plus the stand bases adds up quick. Yes, the gooseneck approach is superior, but...

That's when you just rent the oddball items.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.