ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld vocal mics for $50 or less  (Read 1729 times)

John Lackner

Handheld vocal mics for $50 or less
« on: February 19, 2019, 01:04:11 am »

I'm looking to get about 10 mics for tabletop discussion panels and conferences, that can maybe double up as C rig/punk band mics. Lots of choices out there. Shure, AKG, Audix, Beyer, Blue, CAD (3 for $60), Behringer, MXL, A-T - they all make one at this price point. Any experiences/recommendations? My priorities are - gain before feedback, sound quality, followed by durability and handling noise. I already have enough high end mics for the high end jobs.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Handheld vocal mics for $50 or less
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 01:20:23 am »

Audiopile V-1 is an SM58 clone that at $30 is a reasonable "utility" microphone. You can even get replacement mesh ball ends for a modest price, so you can keep them looking (and smelling) nice enough for panel discussions. Does it work as well as an SM58?  Probably not, but if "close enough"'is adequate, give should try one.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Taylor Hall

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 07:02:32 am »

We've used the cheap Behringer 3-pack mics for garbage duty for about 6 years now (ie "what's the cheapest mic I can rent that isn't a Shure?"), never had one crap out and only one dented screen out of a dozen or so of them. Just give them phantom power and you're good to go.

As for your priorities, you'll probably be slightly underwhelmed in most of those areas, because let's be honest, we're talking sub $50 mics here...
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 08:02:18 am »

We ended up with 16" gooseneck condenser mics for panel discussions and similar talking head/corporate things.  SM58s didn't make the grade.

I'd buy mics based on what make you money.  There are plenty of cheap ass mics that you can use for thrash or punk, but virtually none of them are usable for panel discussions as I know them.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:51 am »

You are going to need two mic kits, one for for the thrash gigs and one for corporate panel discussion gigs. A one size fits all mic will not work in this case.

For my panel discussion type gigs I put out AKG C535's on nice table stands.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 08:30:17 am »

You are going to need two mic kits, one for for the thrash gigs and one for corporate panel discussion gigs. A one size fits all mic will not work in this case.
Ya. Puke on it Friday, give it to the CEO Monday ain't gonna cut it.
Get decent for the panel stuff, and throwaway for getting beat up on stage.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:48:22 am »

Get two sets of mic cables!!! Don't bring mic cables covered in piss and puke to a corporate gig.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 10:33:25 am »

Avlex has the Superlux TM58 marked to a "Superlow" price right now if you buy a case of 24. Can't quote it online.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, VTC, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, OnPoint Audio, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Road Ready, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, Whirlwind, On-Stage, more...

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 04:08:51 pm »

A good cheap mic for "nicer than puke catcher" is the Shure SM48. They are a pretty decent mic for $30.

For the punk on a stage I would go with the Behringer 3-pack mics. Never seen the Avlex units but they can't be to bad to be recommended here.

For corporate table tops an inexpensive unit with stand something like the Tascam TM-95GN gooseneck.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 04:25:43 pm »

We ended up with 16" gooseneck condenser mics for panel discussions and similar talking head/corporate things.  SM58s didn't make the grade.

I'd buy mics based on what make you money.  There are plenty of cheap ass mics that you can use for thrash or punk, but virtually none of them are usable for panel discussions as I know them.

I hate it when Tim makes me agree with him.  The gooseneck condenser is the best thing for corporate speaking.  Damn you Tim.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 04:25:43 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.