ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kick bins and tops for labs.  (Read 13395 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Kick bins and tops for labs.
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 02:24:25 AM »

Hmmm...a $1200 material list.

Anyway, you would simply put the cabinets in parallel.  Just make sure you don't present too low impedance to the amps. 

Does this make sense?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Daniel Martini

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2019, 09:35:07 AM »

I'm not following :/

John L Nobile

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2019, 10:14:20 AM »

Hahaha. Did a little research on here... looks like this might suffice! https://www.amazon.com/Wesco-260002-Hydraulic-Pedalift-Capacity/dp/B000KL38W6?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&psc=1

Thoughts?

Also Scott thanks for the walk through of the wiring! However according to your instructions, If i wire both left and right outputs from my amp into one ep-4 input connection into the msl then that means I'm only able to run one speaker off one amp? I was told I would be able to run all 8 msl's off 4 mackies??

One more thing to carry around and it's not light either.
Lifting MSL3's on subs for me has always involved at least 3 guys. 4 is better. I've done it with 2 but I was younger then and the other guy was big and strong. And make sure you strap them down. They move and tip easily.

Wiring seems to be a challenge. Best thing would be to custom build a patch panel to your amps. Or have someone make that for you. It would make setups so much faster, easier and flexible.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »

I'm not following :/

The snarky side of me says "sell all your gear, you're too ignorant to use it."

However, ignorance can be remediated, so here's my attempt:

The MSL3 have a pair of jacks on the back that are wired in *parallel*.  That means that each connector's pins are connected to its corresponding pin on the other connector.  IOW, pin 1 on the top connector is wired to pin 1 on the bottom connector, and (for illustrative purposes, not as a matter of fact) connected to the + terminal of the Low section; pin 2 on the top connector is wired to pin 2 of the bottom connector and to the negative terminal of the Low section; pin 3 wired to pin 3 and the + terminal of the High section, ditto for pin 4 tp the negative terminal.  Note that loudspeaker manufacturers differ on which pairs of pins are used to connect the HF/LF and yours may be different from my explanation, but the concept of parallel connection is the same regardless.

You use a short cable to connect 2 MSL3 to each other, and a longer cable to connect them to the amp.  Each amplifier can drive 2 speakers this way.

If this doesn't clear up things for you, sell.... or hire someone to put this rig together.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John L Nobile

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2019, 03:11:43 PM »

Look on Meyer's website and download any MSL3 docs you can find. Wiring for EP4 connectors has always been this for me and is also what Meyer shows

Pin 1 = Lo + (hot)
Pin 2 = Lo - (common)
Pin 3 = Hi - (common)
Pin 4 = Hi + (hot)

To be safe, do a continuity check between Pins 3 & 4 to the hi end driver before connecting your amp. You don't know the history of these so they may have been rewired.

But as Tim said, if this confuses you, get some help. And ask questions.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2019, 04:50:34 PM »

Also Scott thanks for the walk through of the wiring! However according to your instructions, If i wire both left and right outputs from my amp into one ep-4 input connection into the msl then that means I'm only able to run one speaker off one amp? I was told I would be able to run all 8 msl's off 4 mackies??

You can run 2 cabinet in parallel off of each amp.  It should work fine.

There are a couple of ways of doing that, either add more jacks to the cabinets or home run each cable and make a patch panel that will parallel 4 sets/pairs of connectors.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Daniel Martini

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2019, 01:32:08 AM »

Thanks John, Tim and Ivan! That helped significantly! Will most likely have someone help me build a patch bay. I'm so used to just plug and play neutrik that I never expected this to be so challenging but I want to persevere. Im 23 so I have a lot to learn about vintage gear and I definitely don't want to sell these because even if they are almost 40 years old they are still Meyer and I'm already in love with them lol. Ordered the EP-4's and gonna give this a go! 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2019, 02:46:43 AM »

Thanks John, Tim and Ivan! That helped significantly! Will most likely have someone help me build a patch bay. I'm so used to just plug and play neutrik that I never expected this to be so challenging but I want to persevere. Im 23 so I have a lot to learn about vintage gear and I definitely don't want to sell these because even if they are almost 40 years old they are still Meyer and I'm already in love with them lol. Ordered the EP-4's and gonna give this a go!
Wouldn't you really be in love with all Meyer?  I still have those 12 650R2's .  The racks are cabled and ready to go.  Tell you what you buy the subs I will make you your panels for your mains!

Just having fun, this is not a hard pitch.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Daniel Martini

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2019, 08:23:05 PM »

I'll PM you!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2019, 04:54:34 AM »

Would it be possible to simply convert the cabs to SpeakOn connectors?
I feel like that'd avoid a lot of messing around.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2019, 04:54:34 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.