ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Kick bins and tops for labs.  (Read 13597 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Kick bins and tops for labs.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 02:21:50 AM »

Thanks for all your input everyone! I hear what you're saying about the UX8800. It's a lot of money and so are kf series speakers. Thats my main issue. Am open to them in the future but have recently stumbled upon an opportunity to buy X8 Meyer MSL3a cabs for $3000 total. I think that's a steal even at their age plus he's throwing in the M3A processor. What are you're thoughts on them? They spec down to 75hz but would love to get some DS2 bins to take some of the stress off the tops. All parts are original though and I don't' have an opportunity to inspect the msl's since they are in Florida (I'm in Washington) Also yes Steven and Mark they are the subwoofer bandpass.

Also thanks Tim I will look into the peter morris designs for sure! Definitely not going for the EV either now.

Edit: Here is the link for the sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyer-MSL-3A-Passive-Loudspeakers-READ/123550897312?hash=item1cc43514a0:g:MSAAAOSwvERcGFyy:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
I have 12 Meyer 650R2's powered by 12x Yammie PS8k's 6 per rack and one Meyer processor per rack.  Some of the subs had been reconed with the wrong kits,  all were redone with proper Meyer kita and fresh ferrofluid by Keith Steele, a Meyer genius and 6 of these actually were part of the Meyer/Gamble rig Steele ran at Nelson Ledges in the 90's.

These boxes have been taken care of and 12 of them are devestating while retaining the Meyer musicality. 

I have entertained replacing these with powered subs as we run them with our 16 boxes of FBT Muse 210LA's. 

If you end up with the Meyer boxes these could be an a good pairing.  They would be less cost than building the labs and we have recone kits and baskets that would go with the deal.

We have these booked all summer and anyone serious needs to come setup and run them to see if they are their cup tea.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:26:24 AM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 03:49:09 AM »

Thank you for this info Chris! Very helpful, however I want to avoid building tops (Although the Peter Morris designs have me intrigued)

Fair enough.

I had a quick look at the Meyer boxes you've mentioned and I think two per side would do just fine for you. They're 70-degree (horizontal) cabinets, so if you use 2/side you've got 140 degree coverage. I can't really think of a situation where you'd need all eight of them unless you wanted to overlap the coverage for some reason.

That said, 4x for FOH and 2x for monitors (I assume this is a system for DJ use) and 2x spare would be just fine.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

John L Nobile

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 10:44:35 AM »

Thanks for all your input everyone! I hear what you're saying about the UX8800. It's a lot of money and so are kf series speakers. Thats my main issue. Am open to them in the future but have recently stumbled upon an opportunity to buy X8 Meyer MSL3a cabs for $3000 total. I think that's a steal even at their age plus he's throwing in the M3A processor. What are you're thoughts on them? They spec down to 75hz but would love to get some DS2 bins to take some of the stress off the tops. All parts are original though and I don't' have an opportunity to inspect the msl's since they are in Florida (I'm in Washington) Also yes Steven and Mark they are the subwoofer bandpass.

Also thanks Tim I will look into the peter morris designs for sure! Definitely not going for the EV either now.

Edit: Here is the link for the sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyer-MSL-3A-Passive-Loudspeakers-READ/123550897312?hash=item1cc43514a0:g:MSAAAOSwvERcGFyy:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I still have a pair of MSL3's that were used 6 nights a week for 24 years. And I thought they sounded really good. But it was an install. I wouldn't want to move them.  They're very heavy. I think they're around 240 lbs. And they're very large and awkward. I'm relying more on my SM80's as I can set them up myself and I much prefer the sound. When I do use the Meyers, it's for audience side fills that I leave on the ground. It takes 3 of us to put one up on a sub or flight case.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 07:50:07 PM »

I assisted another provider in setting up their MSL3 rig for a gig and while it sounded pretty good for the application, it took up a lot of truck space, was heavy and difficult to move. Luckily for this gig the venue had a dock and the speakers were able to roll straight on to their risers, requiring no lifting.

You're going to need dolly plates, access to a truck, and additional labor for setup/strike. These things all add to their operating costs, which is likely why they are being sold for such a low price.

Are they a good solution for your sonic dilema? Maybe so. But you need to consider the logistic consequences before committing to such a system or they could create more issues for your business model than they solve.

Daniel Martini

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 12:27:01 AM »

After considering the size/weight of the Meyers I don't think Im going to go for them. They're just too much right now. I am opening up to the idea of KF650's considering I can use a much less expensive processor on them then the UX. How many would I need per side to keep up with 8 Labs? Also very much open to  other cabs besides EAW so throw some out if you guys can. It's just hard for me to gauge how much top end I will need to cover outdoor crowds. And yes the primary genre will be electronic.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:40:43 AM by Daniel Martini »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 03:52:11 AM »

After considering the size/weight of the Meyers I don't think Im going to go for them. They're just too much right now. I am opening up to the idea of KF650's considering I can use a much less expensive processor on them then the UX. How many would I need per side to keep up with 8 Labs? Also very much open to  other cabs besides EAW so throw some out if you guys can. It's just hard for me to gauge how much top end I will need to cover outdoor crowds. And yes the primary genre will be electronic.
Using a different processor with the KF's is silly.  They just aren't the same.  Just lime JBL SRX and VRX with V5 tunings.  It makes them all new boxes.

I believe Mal Brown another member here has KF's and,the processor.  You might want to reach out to him.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Daniel Martini

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 05:25:20 PM »

Just to give a little update about the situation we ended up going with the 8 MSL3's! Also snagged an m-3a processor as well so we should be good to go! I need to cross the labs though so Im probably still going to buy a driverack 260. Can i run limiting, crossover points etc through the driverack into the meyer processor or will that mess with the operation of it? I guess I could start another thread about it. I'm also not sure if the msl's have xovers in them or if the m-3a takes care of all of that, so i guess ill give meyer a call. Could run aux to subs as well I suppose. Lastly the meyers have EP-4 connectors and my mackies m1400's have speakon outs. What is the best way to adapt for that???

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 12:52:11 PM »

Just to give a little update about the situation we ended up going with the 8 MSL3's! Also snagged an m-3a processor as well so we should be good to go! I need to cross the labs though so Im probably still going to buy a driverack 260. Can i run limiting, crossover points etc through the driverack into the meyer processor or will that mess with the operation of it? I guess I could start another thread about it. I'm also not sure if the msl's have xovers in them or if the m-3a takes care of all of that, so i guess ill give meyer a call. Could run aux to subs as well I suppose. Lastly the meyers have EP-4 connectors and my mackies m1400's have speakon outs. What is the best way to adapt for that???
Use the Meyer processor for the MSL3s, and the 260 for overall tone as needed.

You can set a prelimiter with the 260.

the best way to deal with different connectors is simply to change them to what you need.

You can use adapters, but that is just more possible failure points, and things to lose or forget.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John L Nobile

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »

I once used the M3A without the sense connectors plugged in. Just once. The audio would periodically cut out briefly. I was told that it was normal for that to happen without the sense cable connected. Keep that in mind if you're making speakons.
BTW, the MSL3's don't sound very good without the processor. You may need more than one.

Daniel Martini

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 08:54:49 PM »

Thanks Ivan & John! Very confused about the sense connectors but I will give Meyer a call. Will post pics and updates periodically if anyone is interested. You all have been very helpful!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 08:54:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.