Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Subwoofer Forum

Kick bins and tops for labs.

<< < (2/10) > >>

Steven Eudaly:

--- Quote from: Mark Wilkinson on February 18, 2019, 10:46:18 am ---Just looking at the spec sheet for the M225 pro, I'd say the biggest concern is their compression driver.
--- End quote ---

Hopefully Daniel will clarify, but based on his wording in the original post I think he may be talking about the JBL MP255S dual 15" bandpass subwoofer, and is contemplating using them as a mid-bass "kick bin" between his Lab subs and whatever mains he decides to go with.

--- Quote from: Daniel Martini on February 16, 2019, 05:06:36 pm --- I have X4 JBL Mpro 225 bandpass boxes and my main question is, are these suitable to stack on top of the labs and crossover above 80hz?  If so then my options open up greatly for a mid top box

--- End quote ---

Mark Wilkinson:

--- Quote from: Steven Eudaly on February 18, 2019, 01:57:41 pm ---Hopefully Daniel will clarify, but based on his wording in the original post I think he may be talking about the JBL MP255S dual 15" bandpass subwoofer, and is contemplating using them as a mid-bass "kick bin" between his Lab subs and whatever mains he decides to go with.

--- End quote ---

Yep, I think you probably read his post more carefully than me

duane massey:
Ditch the MP255S cabs. Buy or build something better.

Daniel Martini:
Thanks for all your input everyone! I hear what you're saying about the UX8800. It's a lot of money and so are kf series speakers. Thats my main issue. Am open to them in the future but have recently stumbled upon an opportunity to buy X8 Meyer MSL3a cabs for $3000 total. I think that's a steal even at their age plus he's throwing in the M3A processor. What are you're thoughts on them? They spec down to 75hz but would love to get some DS2 bins to take some of the stress off the tops. All parts are original though and I don't' have an opportunity to inspect the msl's since they are in Florida (I'm in Washington) Also yes Steven and Mark they are the subwoofer bandpass.

Also thanks Tim I will look into the peter morris designs for sure! Definitely not going for the EV either now.

Edit: Here is the link for the sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyer-MSL-3A-Passive-Loudspeakers-READ/123550897312?hash=item1cc43514a0:g:MSAAAOSwvERcGFyy:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Daniel Martini:

--- Quote from: Chris Grimshaw on February 18, 2019, 09:43:26 am ---So, 8x Lab horns in the future.

If we say each cab will be 105dB@1w (ignoring the sagging response and assuming it'll flatten when used in multiples) and take 1KW, you're looking at 135dB per box. Eight boxes gives +18dB gain, so 153dB.

Depending on the sort of music you're playing, the subs need to be capable of quite a lot more output than the main speakers. Given the sort of system we're talking about here, it might be of the order of 20dB.

So, you need a main speaker that can put out 133dB.

That's the sort of territory where a good 2x12" direct-radiating cab would manage just fine. Something like 2x Faital Pro 12FH520 with a BMS coaxial compression driver, 800Hz-ish crossover.

Heck, my 2x10" mains would get close, and we're still only looking at one main speaker per side, which is a Good Thing when it comes to coverage and sound quality.

+1 on previous comments about processing. The tuning of a system can make or break it.

Chris

--- End quote ---

Thank you for this info Chris! Very helpful, however I want to avoid building tops (Although the Peter Morris designs have me intrigued)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version