ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2-Wire Termination  (Read 615 times)

Mark Hannah

2-Wire Termination
« on: October 17, 2022, 09:39:33 AM »

1) Why might a product provide the option to turn on and off termination if it does not supply power to the 2-wire port?

2) If two products are active devices, neither provides power on the 2-wire port and the devices are terminated correctly, is it possible, in theory, for audio to pass between the devices? If no, would injecting bias make the circuit work?

I cannot make my own conclusion from a handful of basic theory documents that I have. The lack of circuit design knowledge certainly doesn't help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the above questions can be answered without context but I'm never quite certain.

An event supplied a Hollyland C1 with Hub and M1 system. And the production wanted two channels between the two systems. The product only allows connection between the devices via 4 wire. Neither device will work via their 2-wire ports.

Since there was no voltage on the output of either device, I was concerned that the units were defective or damaged. Hollyland said the devices are not defective. I plan on following up with them based on your responses. Such as... can you do X or Y via a firmware update?

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: 2-Wire Termination
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 07:16:36 PM »

1) Why might a product provide the option to turn on and off termination if it does not supply power to the 2-wire port?

2) If two products are active devices, neither provides power on the 2-wire port and the devices are terminated correctly, is it possible, in theory, for audio to pass between the devices? If no, would injecting bias make the circuit work?

I cannot make my own conclusion from a handful of basic theory documents that I have. The lack of circuit design knowledge certainly doesn't help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the above questions can be answered without context but I'm never quite certain.

An event supplied a Hollyland C1 with Hub and M1 system. And the production wanted two channels between the two systems. The product only allows connection between the devices via 4 wire. Neither device will work via their 2-wire ports.

Since there was no voltage on the output of either device, I was concerned that the units were defective or damaged. Hollyland said the devices are not defective. I plan on following up with them based on your responses. Such as... can you do X or Y via a firmware update?

1. Any 2-wire system needs only 1 termination in the system.   It is possible that the power supply is coming from another device so that term must be off.

2.  2-wire interfaces are designed to be used as connections between systems.  Properly an interface like Clear-Com TW12B should be used for RTS and CC systems - Not suitable for connection to CHAOS comms without modifying the TW12B.

3.  Directly connecting 2-wires to geather is marginally doable...a comm transformer like Audioman,com should be used - do not directly connect.

4. 4-wire never has power on it and is very suitable to interconnect 2 systems with regular audio iso transformers.   reverse connections so in feeds out and vice.versa

see: bestaudio.com/downloads

Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: 2-Wire Termination
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 07:16:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.