ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante questions  (Read 8628 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Dante questions
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 10:34:25 AM »

One way to assess the need for redundancy is the nature of the cable path. Snakes are likely to run thru hostile environments ( a big part of why I’m not a fan of quad fiber runs in one jacket ) while backstage signal cable paths be they XLR or Dante are likely better protected.

That’s a rather interesting engineering choice.  I wonder how many sales they will loose due to the lack of redundancy.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 03:23:13 PM »

One way to assess the need for redundancy is the nature of the cable path. Snakes are likely to run thru hostile environments ( a big part of why I’m not a fan of quad fiber runs in one jacket ) while backstage signal cable paths be they XLR or Dante are likely better protected.

The need and/or appropriateness of fully redundant Dante systems has been something i've been giving a good bit of thought to recently.  Most of my thinking has been driven by some gig setup failures and troubleshooting problems CAUSED by having a redundant system in place and the inherent danger of the Primary and Secondary systems getting crossed/combined accidentally as a result.  That coupled with the fact that many of the devices i'm using on my shows don't even HAVE a redundant capability has caused me to seriously assess on a case by case basis if/when i should even USE a redundant system.

Am i Anti-Redundancy?  Of course not.  But i think ALWAYS running Redundant REGARDLESS of circumstances may not be the best option.  Truth is, running Primary/Redundant removes some failure points, but it also creates others.  it's a matter of thinking through the failure points on any particular situation and planning accordingly.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 04:13:57 PM »

It seems most of the failure points from redundancy are related to setup.
They wouldn't be intermittent or suddenly happen, it just wouldn't work correctly.
The failures of primary only are during actual use.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 04:29:59 PM »

They wouldn't be intermittent or suddenly happen, it just wouldn't work correctly.

This is true.  But another failure point is if you have a failure of a piece of gear on the Primary/Redundant networks and it fails/reboots into Daisy Chain mode [which many default to] which will take down the whole Dante network.  Ask me how i know..

Does this happen all the time?  Of course not.  But it can/does.  Which goes to my point.  If the physical connection to a piece of Dante equipment is a single 2 foot cat5e cable From an enterprise quality switch in an installed rack that never gets opened, it might actually be safer to NOT use the redundant network on that piece of gear. 

Might....

Like i said, i've been thinking about it.  Doesn't mean i've come to a set conclusion.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 04:42:21 PM »

The one time I'd had a genuine failure was on show site, just prior to show.  A hotel employee somehow managed to cut cleanly one of my two fiber lines.  I've not been a fan of Whirlwind fiber cables since but my nice heavy duty European made Opticalcon cable on the secondary saved the show.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2019, 02:34:37 PM »

Where is the Dante configuration (that you are editing with your computer) stored? is it in the Focusrite RedNet D16R and/or the power amps, or is the Gigabit network switch. Or is there some other required equipment that I am overlooking?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2019, 05:03:59 PM »

Where is the Dante configuration (that you are editing with your computer) stored? is it in the Focusrite RedNet D16R and/or the power amps, or is the Gigabit network switch. Or is there some other required equipment that I am overlooking?
Dante configurations are stored on the Dante chips in the Dante enabled devices. The configuration gets populated through the network to the other Dante chips on that network so they all see it.

Once you connect with Dante Controller with your computer, you can store that Dante setup file to your computer as any other file.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 06:24:46 PM »

Dante configurations are stored on the Dante chips in the Dante enabled devices. The configuration gets populated through the network to the other Dante chips on that network so they all see it.
I'm not sure that's completely correct. My understanding is that each device saves it's SUBSCRIPTIONS, which are only the input connections to that device. It knows nothing of the other devices on the network. That is to say, if a 2-channel device is on the network, it only knows the name and channel of the 2 subscriptions (the device name and channel name of the 2 signals that are going INTO that device), and has no information at all about where it's outputs are going or any of the other Dante signals that don't go to that device. It also knows it's own device name and the names of it's own outputs.

Dante Controller can look at each device on the network and get the names and subscriptions of each device and create the connection map.
That's my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2019, 06:24:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.