ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante questions  (Read 8624 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Dante questions
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 12:32:32 AM »

I have been watching a lot of the Audinate Dante videos today it looks relatively easy. But I am having problems finding a device with 8 AES inputs and 8 analog inputs. There are so many devices on the Audinate website pages that it may take a while to find one. I found a Glensound DARK 1616M Dante but I have never heard of this company and it is over $3000 and I think that is too expensive for what I am trying to do. I may go back to the idea of using the AVIO devices at least for the analog output to Dante, if I put any of the analog outs into the Dante. And maybe the Focusrite RedNet D16R for the AES outputs.

The cheapest 22 input 14 output analog to Dante interface is an X32 rack with a Dante card.

I say that to say this.

I don’t really understand your routine scheme, but if you’re not using some of those X32 analog inputs, they could do duty as analog to Dante without using ANY of the X32 mixing.  Just as a pass through.  Just a thought.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 02:44:27 AM »

If you didn't need the AES inputs, you could get a Yamaha TIO1608-D, MSRP $1,200, with 16 analog inputs and Dante I/O.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 03:15:49 AM »

The RedNet D16R supports a redundant network. You would run 2 CAT5 cables from the D16R at the console, to the stage or amp room where you would have 2 8 port switches like the Netgear 108 Justice mentioned. One is primary, the other is secondary. Then you connect the primary switch to all the primary ports on the amps, and the secondary to the secondary. Done.

Mac
This also allows keeps things cleaner, with all the network patches in one place. And you can use less expensive non PoE switches.

With the AVIO adapters, you HAVE to have a network switch with PoE. They won't work as just analog, or AES to Dante adapters (except for the USB version which is powered by the computer USB connection). So you have to have a network switch in your system somewhere.

Some gear will allow you to connect everything together using a ring topology using the two network ports on the device as an in and out, without using a switch. The AVIO adapters don't. You have to use a star topology.

The NetGear GS108T is about $60-65. The Cisco SG350-10P can be found on Amazon for about $133. Still not super expensive.

But, how many of the AVIO adpaters will you need total? Each one needs it's own network port. And how many amplifiers do you need to connect? Each one will also need it's own network port. You might end up needing more than 10 network ports for all your AVIO-AES adapter and amplifiers, as each on only carries 2 channels in and out per each network port. The Focusrite D16R will carry 16 channel of AES per each network port. So you might end up having to bump up to a more expensive 24 port switch.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Phillip Ivan Pietruschka

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 04:55:46 AM »

I have been watching a lot of the Audinate Dante videos today it looks relatively easy. But I am having problems finding a device with 8 AES inputs and 8 analog inputs. There are so many devices on the Audinate website pages that it may take a while to find one. I found a Glensound DARK 1616M Dante but I have never heard of this company and it is over $3000 and I think that is too expensive for what I am trying to do. I may go back to the idea of using the AVIO devices at least for the analog output to Dante, if I put any of the analog outs into the Dante. And maybe the Focusrite RedNet D16R for the AES outputs.

Glensound have more presence in broadcast than sound reinforcement. I wouldn’t have any reservations about using it if it meets your needs.

They also are one of the few companies that I’m aware of to incorporate SFP slots into their Dante interfaces, so you can go straight to fiber if need be.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:58:13 AM by Phillip Ivan Pietruschka »

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 11:48:01 PM »

The cheapest 22 input 14 output analog to Dante interface is an X32 rack with a Dante card.

I say that to say this.

I don’t really understand your routine scheme, but if you’re not using some of those X32 analog inputs, they could do duty as analog to Dante without using ANY of the X32 mixing.  Just as a pass through.  Just a thought.

The X32 Rack For IEM mixes for the singers will be behind the stage and that would be over 150 foot of a cable run away. I was thinking of doing some of the FOH Avid analog outputs to a Dante network so I wouldn’t have to use the analog returns (stems off of the SC48) to the X32 rack for IEMs for the singers, but that can be on the analog runs from FOH to the backstage room. I have the analog cable runs already between those 2 points. Using a separate X32Rack as a Dante interface is an interesting idea but that doesn’t give me the AES inputs that I really need. I am leaning towards the Focusrite RedNet D16R AES to Dante interface.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 11:48:44 PM »

If you didn't need the AES inputs, you could get a Yamaha TIO1608-D, MSRP $1,200, with 16 analog inputs and Dante I/O.

But I really do need the AES inputs.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 11:50:40 PM »

BTW the Powersoft amps are now out of the running because it only has a primary Dante input and no secondary one. It looks like the Linea Research amps are now in.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 01:16:05 AM »

BTW the Powersoft amps are now out of the running because it only has a primary Dante input and no secondary one. It looks like the Linea Research amps are now in.

So have you abandoned the idea of using the AVIO-AES adapters? Because if you are still intending to use them, the secondary network won't matter since they only have a single network port.

Have you found a suitable AES and analog to Dante interface? The Glensound interface seems about the only game in town for analog and AES to Dante, other than a mixing console or much more expensive i/i unit like the Yamaha RIOs.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 08:28:56 AM »

That’s a rather interesting engineering choice.  I wonder how many sales they will loose due to the lack of redundancy.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »

That’s a rather interesting engineering choice.  I wonder how many sales they will loose due to the lack of redundancy.

It depends on the series you choose.

Quattrocanali, Duecanali and T-series has a single Dante-port
X and Ottocanali has redundant Dante
All of them have fallback to analog.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 10:26:49 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.