ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 70v audio static  (Read 961 times)

Nick Woods

70v audio static
« on: January 07, 2022, 02:30:13 PM »

Hello all, I'm very new to 70v systems as well as sound equipment in general. I have an atlas PA1001G amplifier hooked up to a Dayton audio D1075T, and the audio is very distorted at low volumes, and there is a constant static noise that is very noticeable. The amplifier is rated for 100 watts, and the driver is rated for 75 watts, so I don't think the amplifier is being overloaded. Any suggestions welcome and please delete if in the wrong section. Thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 05:44:53 PM »

Hello all, I'm very new

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: 70v audio static
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 02:01:03 PM »

Hello all, I'm very new to 70v systems as well as sound equipment in general. I have an atlas PA1001G amplifier hooked up to a Dayton audio D1075T, and the audio is very distorted at low volumes, and there is a constant static noise that is very noticeable.
Nick,

Static/popping sounds could result from noise picked up on the external audio source plugged into either the RCA or Balanced inputs.

If nothing is plugged in to the amp, the inputs are unterminated, and the amp will pick up external noise, the level of that noise will vary with the level of the input gain.

Distorted output in addition to constant noise (that was intermittent on 1/11/22..) probably indicates some component(s) in the amp have gone bad.

Art

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 03:16:42 PM »

look for a possible shorted speaker line.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 06:50:27 PM »

look for a possible shorted speaker line.

JR

My first thought exactly.

Second would be to make sure the speaker is set correctly to the 75W tap, and not on the transformer bypass setting.

For the constant noise, you'll need to isolate if it's something from your source material, or in the amp itself.

First, unplug all of the inputs from the amp. Check to see that the signal LED on the front of the amp shows no input signal.  If the system is still making noise, try turning the gain down. If it still makes noise, then you likely have a defective amp.

If it's quiet at this point, start adding items back until you find the culprit.
Brian Jojade

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 07:26:29 PM »

Hello all, I'm very new to 70v systems as well as sound equipment in general. I have an atlas PA1001G amplifier hooked up to a Dayton audio D1075T, and the audio is very distorted at low volumes, and there is a constant static noise that is very noticeable. The amplifier is rated for 100 watts, and the driver is rated for 75 watts, so I don't think the amplifier is being overloaded. Any suggestions welcome and please delete if in the wrong section. Thanks!
Is the driver a 70V driver or normal impedance?  A normal driver will load down most 70V amps to where they don't like it.

The noise could be an input source or a defective amp.

Some more information is needed
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 07:26:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.