ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What ceiling speakers are you using?  (Read 4327 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
What ceiling speakers are you using?
« on: February 13, 2019, 06:32:42 PM »

I'm going to have to buy a few ceiling speakers for a 12 foot drop ceiling soon. What are you guys using that sound decent but don't break the bank? Is the basic Atlas paper cone thing still the only option for "cheapish" but usable?

I could see this sytem getting "turnt" by the end users sometimes.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

scottstephens

Re: What ceiling speakers are you using?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:32:46 PM »

Tim,

I don't think they are cheap, but the ceiling speakers we usually spec are the JBL Control 200 series 6.5 T or something like that. They sound REALLY nice for ceiling speakers, but If memory serves you have to buy the speaker, then the back plate and maybe something else.  But we've installed dozens in restaurants, funeral homes and in places where they need them and don't want to see them. Never a complaint and good build quality.

Scott

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:06:49 PM »

I agree. We use a lot of them also though there are a lot of competitors out there now that I haven't tried or priced. Seems everybody makes a ceiling speaker nowadays.
No matter what you use you want to use the "tile bridge" that is for use with whatever speaker you are using. It won't take long for the ceiling tile to sag and look like garbage if you don't.

Is the basic Atlas paper cone thing still the only option for "cheapish" but usable?
If you are doing something like retail they are OK and certainly won't break the bank. You will probably have to use back cans (the bigger the back can the better) to make them sound decent and may have to anyway because of fire codes. Again, don't skimp on the tile bridges.
-Hal

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 07:50:57 AM »

Years ago (maybe 15?) I did a shootout with as many ceiling speakers as I could get my hands on.

I was looking for evenness of coverage and sound quality as the main criteria-with evenness taking the edge.

I choose the Atlas FAP42 for the install company I was working with.

I was talking to the GM of that company the other day, about various things, and somehow ceiling speakers came up.

They did another shootout not to long ago and the FAP42 came out on top again.

Yes the 62 "more bass", but for overall quality, the 42 wins.

The rep of a very famous company brought one of their speakers for the blind test.

He voted his own speaker out in the first round.

It is important to do it blind, so the bias is removed

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »

If the purpose is primarily speech, BGM, or paging, consider alternatives such as Quam. Since it's a drop-tile ceiling, you could use tile-replacement speakers, as opposed to installing speakers in the tiles. https://www.quamspeakers.com/Tile-Replacement-Speakers-1
For better music, use intergraqted-backcan style,, usually various woofer sizes to choose from. Atlas FAP series is decent and low priced, as is Community's C-series. https://www.communitypro.com/products/cseries
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 02:18:19 PM »

We installed some Behringer ceiling speakers and the amps to go with them.
Not expensive and worked quite well.

https://www.musictribe.com/eurocom/index.php
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Lee Douglas

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 07:32:48 PM »

Like Joseph, I've been spec'ing drop in speakers.  For some situations, I'm finding clients to be tired of the "circle cut into a ceiling tile" type install.  I've been using Bogen:

https://www.bogen.com/products/pdfs/conepdfs/DropInss.pdf

Obviously for more serious SPL/reinforcement requirements, I would go with the Control Series or the like, but in proper designs for background music and paging, these have done nicely.

My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 07:53:02 PM »

I've had success with QSC's AcousticDesign series of install speakers.  I've used their ceiling mount and their surface mount models in a couple installations now with good results.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 02:34:14 PM »

Tim,

I've installed lots of the JBL Control 26C/T in ceiling speakers. They sound clean and full and won't break the bank.

Also check out the JBL Control 67P/T pendant speaker for a step up...If you have the ceiling height. Very full rich sound

I often power either of them with the JBL CSMA mixer/amp in a 70v system with the cat5 wall remotes

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 11:53:29 PM »

The Community C and D series both sound good and if it makes any difference they use a small compression driver for highs.

The EV EVID ceiling speakers are good.

Atlas FAP's are good

Make sure the system is high passed well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 11:53:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.