ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tons of static in main speakers  (Read 3275 times)

Solomon James

Tons of static in main speakers
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:47:58 AM »

Hi There! I am currently stuck and needed some help on what the next steps might be. Recently I've been getting a lot of static noise coming out of the mains. Here's what I've tried already

1. unplugging all xlrs to see if it was bad power. It wasn't (The noise maintained)
2. Unplugging xlr cables, the noise left.
3. Replacing the xlr cables. The noise was still there.
4. Turning off the soundboard (The noise changed but was still staticy (is that a word) and constant, it became lower pitched)

I'm pretty sure it's our snake xlr cables running from the board to the main speakers. The snake is on the older side, it was installed in 03'-04' and has been well used since then.

The snake is an old seismic audio model that was mounted into the backwall of the stage.
So I guess my question is: Is there a specific way I can repair the snake? Or would it be better to replace? My budget is tight so cheaper would be better.

Thank you for your help!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Tons of static in main speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »

Hi There! I am currently stuck and needed some help on what the next steps might be. Recently I've been getting a lot of static noise coming out of the mains. Here's what I've tried already

1. unplugging all xlrs to see if it was bad power. It wasn't (The noise maintained)
2. Unplugging xlr cables, the noise left.
3. Replacing the xlr cables. The noise was still there.
4. Turning off the soundboard (The noise changed but was still staticy (is that a word) and constant, it became lower pitched)

I'm pretty sure it's our snake xlr cables running from the board to the main speakers. The snake is on the older side, it was installed in 03'-04' and has been well used since then.

The snake is an old seismic audio model that was mounted into the backwall of the stage.
So I guess my question is: Is there a specific way I can repair the snake? Or would it be better to replace? My budget is tight so cheaper would be better.

Thank you for your help!

Can you describe your setup a bit? (Make/model, connections, etc).

Eg. Yamaha S115V speakers connected to a QSC RMX1450 amp, which runs through the seismic snake to the mackie CFX20, which has mics, DI's, CD's, and iPod's hooked up, etc.

Are these active speakers (meaning power amp+dsp built into the speaker)?

1) you unplugged what xlrs from what equipment?
2) you unplugged what xlrs from what equipment?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:57:30 AM »

Yea we need some more info on what you unplugged from what.

A couple of thoughts, I have never seen a Seismic Audio snake that did not have issues or for that matter anything Seismic Audio and phantom power from your mixer on a mic channel that has a bad cable somewhere along the path can cause very explosive noise in a sound system.

Solomon James

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 08:25:31 AM »

Can you describe your setup a bit? (Make/model, connections, etc).

Eg. Yamaha S115V speakers connected to a QSC RMX1450 amp, which runs through the seismic snake to the mackie CFX20, which has mics, DI's, CD's, and iPod's hooked up, etc.

Are these active speakers (meaning power amp+dsp built into the speaker)?

1) you unplugged what xlrs from what equipment?
2) you unplugged what xlrs from what equipment?

I have a behringer x32 that is just a few days old,
http://tinyurl.com/y4vl74ty

and they are run through the snake to two jbl 835s (they are powered speakers)which are only a year old.
http://www.jblpro.com/asia/products/portable-market/prx800-series/prx835#.XGVqKOhKiUk

I've plugged in a mic directly into the speakers, and the noise went away. I ran it from the board with the snake connecting the speakers and board it came back. Even when no mics are plugged in and the mains are off the static remains. However it does get more intense when I turn the volume on the mains up.

I've tried changing out the xlr cables (some that are brand new out of the box), from the board to the snake, the cable connecting the mic, the cable connecting the speaker to the snake.

Are there any other tests I could conduct?
Thank you for your help.

scottstephens

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 08:46:24 AM »

I have a behringer x32 that is just a few days old,
http://tinyurl.com/y4vl74ty

and they are run through the snake to two jbl 835s (they are powered speakers)which are only a year old.
http://www.jblpro.com/asia/products/portable-market/prx800-series/prx835#.XGVqKOhKiUk

I've plugged in a mic directly into the speakers, and the noise went away. I ran it from the board with the snake connecting the speakers and board it came back. Even when no mics are plugged in and the mains are off the static remains. However it does get more intense when I turn the volume on the mains up.

I've tried changing out the xlr cables (some that are brand new out of the box), from the board to the snake, the cable connecting the mic, the cable connecting the speaker to the snake.

Are there any other tests I could conduct?
Thank you for your help.

If I am reading this correctly, it sounds like your snake is a piece of crap. Mike is correct, Seismic audio anything is...less than stellar.
Scott

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 09:00:41 AM »

Are the PRX835's in Mic or line mode?

Pg. 14-15
http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/PRX800-Series-User-Guide-5075810-B.pdf

Can you run a known working xlr cable direct from the x32 to the prx835?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 11:42:25 AM »

My thought as well on checking the input mode switch.

You said you plug a mic directly in to the speaker and it worked that makes me think the speaker is in mic input level mode.

If they are in mic level input mode and your connecting them
to the output of your mixer your are over driving the inputs.

The static could actually be distortion from over driving the inputs. Even when connected with no program audio you would hear a lot of noise.

Barry Reynolds

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »

Yea we need some more info on what you unplugged from what.

A couple of thoughts, I have never seen a Seismic Audio snake that did not have issues or for that matter anything Seismic Audio and phantom power from your mixer on a mic channel that has a bad cable somewhere along the path can cause very explosive noise in a sound system.

My one experience of this was exactly as Mike described.  Shorted mic cable that was receiving phantom power.  Created massive noise in both mains and monitors.  Freaked me out with a gig starting in an hour! 

I have found great use of an "EWI bug catcher multiple cable test system" to check which cable is defective and how.  Audiopile.com has these, are cheap, and worth their weight in gold. 

I have never bought anything Seismic Audio because pro users so unanimously hate that brand.  Buy twice, cry twice.  From what I hear, this will just happen to you again and again.  The rest of your equipment is too good for this.

Because of the advent of digital snakes, you can find analog snakes that are much better.  Pro Co and Elite Core are fine products for those of us not wanting to pay an arm and leg.  But get the bug tester, and test every cable that you buy new or used.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 04:23:21 PM »

You may just have bad snake channels, cables, ect, but here is something to check on mic cables that you may think you got a great deal on.

I have seen a lot of your ebay special no name mic cables that have pin 1 tied to the outer shell connection with a short jumper inside the XLR.

With some equipment interconnections that will work with no problem other times you will get all kinds of strange grounding issues and noise.

99.5% of time you do not want or need to have XLR Pin1 tied to the connector outer shell.

To check you need to open up the connector and look for the jumper. Check both ends of the cable. If you find one cut it out.

Of all the various cable testers I have never seem one that test for this "fault"......so I built one!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 04:23:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.