ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 7327 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Headphones
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 12:37:21 AM »

Try as I might, I could not make the PA sound like the MDR-7506. ::)
It's all in your head;^)
Actually, the shape and size of your head, ears and pinnae, as well as the way you position the phones and if you wear glasses can affect the frequency response of the headphones by 6 dB or more. What works well for one person may be crap for another.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/bass-frequency-response

The guys at the above site have done a great job identifying the problems in measuring headphones.

I know subjectively that the difference in the high end shown in my 2010 measurement of 7506 and Ultraphones  is not like what I'd expect from the graphs, and their measurements and videos explain why.

I'm still an Ultraphones fan, isolation means more to me than flat response. 

Art

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 01:04:00 AM »

hmm.  I've found that most headphones have scooped mids.  One thing that I appreciate about the HD280Pro is that they are fairly neutral in balance.  I have to think that most of us are losing connection with what 'flat' sounds like.  Our headphones aren't flat, our powered speakers aren't flat etc, etc.  It's challenging.  [Scooped mids sell speakers.  It's like added sugar.]

btw, my reference is usually the Etymotic ER-4s in-ears.  When properly fitted (sealed) and not overwhelmed with outside bass, they are quite flat.
Drew,

I have to think you are correct that most of us are losing connection with what 'flat' sounds like- the HD280Pro is +8 dB at 40 Hz and -6dB around 160 Hz compared to the Etymotic ER-4XR...

Oh well, we get used to it ;^).

Art

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 08:10:53 AM »

Besides sounding good, I've always enjoyed Beyerdynamic DT770 for its comfort over my ears.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 04:29:43 PM »

I've been using the Sony 7506's for year and years. . .I think pretty much since they were released. First pair in the late 80's. They work fine and I've never bothered to to seriously look for anything else.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 05:17:24 PM »

I've stuck with the Sony's all these decades not because they sound good as stand alone headphones but because they were just the right isolation and tone character to cue effectively in front of a loud rock & roll PA.  Otherwise I'm just too old to wander around the streets with headphones on.

Try as I might, I could not make the PA sound like the MDR-7506. ::)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 08:22:15 PM »

I've stuck with the Sony's all these decades not because they sound good as stand alone headphones but because they were just the right isolation and tone character to cue effectively in front of a loud rock & roll PA.  Otherwise I'm just too old to wander around the streets with headphones on.

My favorite Sony's [i think they were V6's] had EAW badges over the Sony badges on each ear that i had absconded from a couple of 850's in the shop.  They got stolen years ago at the old DCCC, but i still miss them.  I also miss 850's.  imperfect.  but very predictable and very useful regardless...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 07:02:07 AM »

I also miss 850's.  imperfect.  but very predictable and very useful regardless...

I'm with you on that. Especially the upper bass/low mid you got from a hornloaded system.
Too bad people don't use KF850 etc. instead of grounstacked dash arrays.
I wish someone would make a modern KF850.

it's a bit like Beyer DT-150. Not very neutral and totally imperfect reproduction, but as a mixing tool they have a lot going for them.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 07:19:30 PM »

I'm with you on that. Especially the upper bass/low mid you got from a hornloaded system.
Too bad people don't use KF850 etc. instead of grounstacked dash arrays.
I wish someone would make a modern KF850.

it's a bit like Beyer DT-150. Not very neutral and totally imperfect reproduction, but as a mixing tool they have a lot going for them.

I don't miss the weight or the distance from the speaker you need to be covered by every pass band.  Other than those things the 850 is high output, kind-of-arrayable loudspeaker system that can deliver brutal SPL when used as directed.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »

...I also miss 850's.  imperfect.  but very predictable and very useful regardless...

Brian, if you are missing the KF850's we are selling the last 6 we have with dbx processing and Crown power amps.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2019, 10:42:13 AM »

Brian, if you are missing the KF850's we are selling the last 6 we have with dbx processing and Crown power amps.

I've almost sold our set of four several times over the last two years but can't bring myself to do it. I know as soon as I sell them I'll need them again. They only go out a couple times per year, but when they do, they are absolutely the right tool for the job. Yes, I'd love to have the shop space, but know I'll miss them when they're gone. I'd like to think at this point their resale value can't drop too much more, so if I've got the space, why not keep them?

Anyhow, back to the OP, I got a pair of Shure SRH440s not long after they came out, about a decade ago. Durable, pretty comfy, pretty good isolation, loud enough for live use and neutral enough for reference purposes. Definitely worth the ~$100 retail price.

The earpads finally wore out a year ago and I replaced them with SRH840 earpads, which was a upgrade increase in comfort as well as some added isolation.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2019, 10:42:13 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.