ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 1615 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Headphones
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2019, 12:49:09 pm »

The earpads finally wore out a year ago and I replaced them with SRH840 earpads, which was a upgrade increase in comfort as well as some added isolation.
Back last century, I had Sony MDR-3something. After 4 or 5 years, they needed earpads. $75.00 and a custom order up here in the frozen north.
They wore out again, 4 or 5 years later.
That's when I bought the Ultraphones, and a couple of sets of Peltor earpads, at 10 bucks a set.
The Ultraphones were an improvement in any metric you cared to compare.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2019, 01:05:33 pm »

I don't miss the weight or the distance from the speaker you need to be covered by every pass band.  Other than those things the 850 is high output, kind-of-arrayable loudspeaker system that can deliver brutal SPL when used as directed.

"Brutal SPL" reminds me of Al Bagley using 4x Deltamax for a monitor setup in the mid 90s. IIRC that's how he described it.
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Steven Eudaly

• Living the dream.
    • Headline Productions
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2019, 01:14:46 pm »

$75.00 and a custom order up here in the frozen north.

Yikes, that's pricey for some earpads. IIRC the replacement Shure pads were under $20. I got 9 years out of the first set.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 06:14:33 am »

"Brutal SPL" reminds me of Al Bagley using 4x Deltamax for a monitor setup in the mid 90s. IIRC that's how he described it.

Something similar went out from SSE for a Nirvana tour. Interesting story there, which resulted in the SSE Betamax monitors. Like Deltamax, but no useful handles and a lot more steel, because that's exactly what those cabinets needed...  ::)

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2019, 10:40:54 am »

Drew,

I have to think you are correct that most of us are losing connection with what 'flat' sounds like- the HD280Pro is +8 dB at 40 Hz and -6dB around 160 Hz compared to the Etymotic ER-4XR...

Oh well, we get used to it ;^).

Art

Art, if I read your post correctly, touche. 
How does that slogan go?  When you point at someone else there are 3 fingers pointing back at you? 

I still feel like the HD280s sound more like the ER4s that either of them sound like K240s or 7506's.  Even the Shure 840's (although it's been a few years since I've had them on me head) sound like there is some midrange scoop to me.  I have a pair of HD380 pro's and they sound more scooped too.  But they have such comfy earcups. 
Remember, you can talk yourself into (or out of) anything.  That's how the human brain works...

Art Welter

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2019, 02:51:14 pm »

Art, if I read your post correctly, touche. 
How does that slogan go?  When you point at someone else there are 3 fingers pointing back at you? 
Being "digitally challenged", if I use my left hand for pointing I don't have to worry about that slogan ;^).
But as your byline says: "Remember, you can talk yourself into (or out of) anything.  That's how the human brain works..."

When it comes to headphones, between the physical differences between individual ears and heads, and the way the brain is "wired" to them, just go with what works for you!

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2019, 03:52:59 pm »

I use the Sony MDR-V6 they arenít the loudest thing out there but I always thought that they were relatively accurate. I also occasionally use the Sony MDR 7506 but I donít like them as much. My pair of MDR-V6 could use replacement ear pads because the vinyl covering is gone but the times I have had to use them in the cold I found them a little bit more comfortable this way. I actually have replacement ear pads somewhere, but I am in no rush to change them. I also have a backup pair of MDR-V6 headphones still in the original box. When I saw that they were being discontinued I bought the backup pair and havenít needed them yet.

Lately I only use headphones to check what is on a channel and cue it up while holding it up to one ear. When I used to do location sound for video or film I wore them for most of the time we were shooting. 

James Paul

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2019, 07:30:34 am »

for live & editing: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/headphones/hph-mt8/index.html

for casual listening: DT-770

Steven Eudaly

• Living the dream.
    • Headline Productions
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2019, 10:32:09 am »

When I saw that they were being discontinued I bought the backup pair and havenít needed them yet.

Was this actually true? Only info I see online are some disgruntled message board posts from 2014.

They're still available from a variety of online retailers.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2019, 07:36:38 pm »

Was this actually true? Only info I see online are some disgruntled message board posts from 2014.

They're still available from a variety of online retailers.

I am talking about a long time ago. They were definitely discontinued years ago. I guess they reintroduced them. I hope they are the same as they used to be.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.