ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Those little blue rubber rings on Beta mics....how to keep them on?  (Read 2742 times)

dave milton

OK, this is far and away THE most important sound reinforcement question.

You know those little blue rubber bumper/rings on the grills of Beta58, Beta87a, etc. mics?  Does anyone know a trick to getting them to stay in place?  Once they come out/off just one time, I've found them nearly impossible to get back on in such a way that they stay put.  Most frustrating.

Honestly, I don't really care all that much that they HAVE to go back on, and simply pulling them off for good is certainly an option.  But it just seems like such a simple/easy thing that for some reason I just can't make work.  THAT is what's so frustrating.  And what I want to know how to make work.

Please help.

d.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Those little blue rubber rings on Beta mics....how to keep them on?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 12:50:04 AM »

Once they stretch from being pulled off, it's pretty much time for a new mic. :/
Brian Jojade

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 03:55:43 AM »

What he said. If you send your faulty mics to me, I'll make sure they're properly disposed of. For a small fee, of course.

More seriously, a couple of dots of superglue will help.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »

OK, this is far and away THE most important sound reinforcement question.

You know those little blue rubber bumper/rings on the grills of Beta58, Beta87a, etc. mics?  Does anyone know a trick to getting them to stay in place?  Once they come out/off just one time, I've found them nearly impossible to get back on in such a way that they stay put.  Most frustrating.

Honestly, I don't really care all that much that they HAVE to go back on, and simply pulling them off for good is certainly an option.  But it just seems like such a simple/easy thing that for some reason I just can't make work.  THAT is what's so frustrating.  And what I want to know how to make work.

Please help.

d.
What the heck are you doing with your mics to cause those to come off?  In 25 yrs, I have NEVER seen one come off on it's own !

Ken Braziel

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:09:45 AM »

What the heck are you doing with your mics to cause those to come off?  In 25 yrs, I have NEVER seen one come off on it's own !

Many cases made for mics have holes that are exactly the size of a standard 58's grill, so dropping your Beta's in there can rub the rings off.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 11:35:24 AM »

Many cases made for mics have holes that are exactly the size of a standard 58's grill, so dropping your Beta's in there can rub the rings off.
Ok.. but never had that problem.. Most are foam, and a little care in putting them away alleviates that issue :)

Taylor Hall

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »

This was our issue as well. We just took a paint pen to them and called it a day.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »

That 's not the case for my mics (they live in valise-style cases), but all the Beta58s lost their rings after a few years.  I just attributed it to handling by the "artists".

As an aside, the Beta grills are a lot tougher (and a lot more expensive!) than the regular 58 grills.  I moved the ringless grills over to the B kit that is stocked with SM58s, and bought new Beta grills from Shure for the A kit.  At least one of my "Beta58s" is actually a Beta57 with a ball grill on it.  The mics appear to be exactly the same without the grills.  Definitely sounds closer than a Beta58A does.

GTD

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 11:42:28 PM »

I guess that begs the question: What use is the ring?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 01:18:22 AM »

I guess that begs the question: What use is the ring?

It lets people know you spent more money on your mic than $100.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 01:18:22 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.