ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preparing for outdoor summer shows.  (Read 3087 times)

John Roll

Preparing for outdoor summer shows.
« on: April 02, 2011, 08:42:17 am »

Looking for ideas to prepare for the potential outdoor shows this summer. I purchased an EZ-UP last year which I never got to use. I hear it's not so EZ to set up. Alternatives to protecting the mix position from the elements? Also, I was  thinking of getting a few wood pallets to place the subs on to raise them off the ground and plan on using contractor trash bags to protect the tops (HPR 152s). I'm looking for ideas on protecting the subs; tarps etc. I hear the blue tarps are garbage. How do you guys protect your gear during these events?
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

David Parker

Re: Preparing for outdoor summer shows.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:03:30 pm »

Looking for ideas to prepare for the potential outdoor shows this summer. I purchased an EZ-UP last year which I never got to use. I hear it's not so EZ to set up. Alternatives to protecting the mix position from the elements? Also, I was  thinking of getting a few wood pallets to place the subs on to raise them off the ground and plan on using contractor trash bags to protect the tops (HPR 152s). I'm looking for ideas on protecting the subs; tarps etc. I hear the blue tarps are garbage. How do you guys protect your gear during these events?

I've always used the blue tarps. They work fine for occasional use, but can't stand extended use outside. By extended I mean months. If the weather is really threatening, you can drape the subs and leave them covered. Most of the bass still gets out. Make sure you try your garbage bags on your mains BEFORE  it rains. I  had some that I had counted on and not needed, then when I did need them, I realized the bags were not big enough. I have an easy up, and I can set it up by myself and about 2 minutes. With one helper, I can take it down in less than a minute.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 05:52:05 pm »

Instead of carrying around pallets, try using a few 2x4's (painted black) as well as some shims.  It's a lot less weight, and can pack very easy.  You wouldn't need too many.

For tarps, yes - the blue ones are crap.  There's a type that is a bit more heavy duty than the blue ones.  They are silver on one side and brown on the other, but they are about 3 times as strong (and dense) as the blue ones;  also, they have reinforced corners -- here's a sample (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_tarps-covers-canopies-shelters+tarps+silver-tarps)   Check out the PVC tarps as well.

For the mixing board (in case of rain), get a some heavy clear plastic to cover the board.  That way, you can see the faders/knobs/etc... and still be able to mix.

There are a few other types of "EZUP" tents.  The EZUP that I had came apart after a few seasons.  Found out that the EZUP tent (the one that I used) had a thinner canopy than other types of tents.  This made sense because during very bright days there wasn't much shade relief under the tent.  Since then, I've switched from EZUP (sorry can't recall whom I switched to) to a brand that has a thicker canopy.  It takes about 5 minutes to setup this tent, but is worth it.

For covering speakers, I use the large tarps (mentioned above) with bungee cords.  Works well.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:10:41 pm »

Looking for ideas to prepare for the potential outdoor shows this summer. I purchased an EZ-UP last year which I never got to use. I hear it's not so EZ to set up.
It takes two people. I've done it by myself on occasion, but it takes about 5 times longer to set up that way.

Someone else griped about the EZ-up quality, well, that depends entirely on which canopy you've bought. They have some very light-weight consumer junk, they've got some middle of the road units, and they've got some heavier-duty (and heavy) commercial units.  I've got a middle-of-the-road unit and it's okay. Definitely going for the commercial unit (which is the only one they've got in black, which I need) as soon as I get a few other purchases made.

Alternatives to protecting the mix position from the elements? Also, I was  thinking of getting a few wood pallets to place the subs on to raise them off the ground and plan on using contractor trash bags to protect the tops (HPR 152s). I'm looking for ideas on protecting the subs; tarps etc. I hear the blue tarps are garbage. How do you guys protect your gear during these events?
I do outdoor events in SoCal, so I don't have to worry too much about rain during the summer. :-)
Keeping the sun off the electronics is all I have to do (and I use SAC, so keeping reflections off video screens is important, hence the need for the black EZ-UP).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:30:52 pm by Mac Kerr »

Gus Housen

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:11 pm »

The best Cheap EZ-up i have used is the wallmart First up. I have even put a ez-up over each stack to protect it from light rain. I have yet to see a ez-up that doesnt take 2 people to set it up easy
you can use 5 mill + poly sheeting for stacks you get better HF output. The really heavey tarps are great for electronics etc but the thicker the tarp the more HF gets blocked. anything lighter than 5 mil and you can get some weird harmonica noises.

I also recomend a 4x8 sheat of 1/2 ply ( i actually use 2 2x8 ft ) to keep your feet dry. The pallet works but it is  pain in the ass

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:17:11 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.