ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driverack PA2 or Venue Low Shelf Freq Range  (Read 1543 times)

Chris Burns

Driverack PA2 or Venue Low Shelf Freq Range
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:01:08 PM »

Not sure if anyone might have this answer but figured I’d give it a shot...

On a low shelf filter, anyone know how low in freq that filter will extend? The unit advertises response of 20-20, and you can’t select below 20hz for a filter, however I’d like to put a low shelf filter on a sealed sub that extends well below 20hz. It appears when you do select one that it extends well below 20. Id like to bring up the natural roll of just a bit down to 10-15hz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Driverack PA2 or Venue Low Shelf Freq Range
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 07:47:20 PM »

Not sure if anyone might have this answer but figured I’d give it a shot...

On a low shelf filter, anyone know how low in freq that filter will extend? The unit advertises response of 20-20, and you can’t select below 20hz for a filter, however I’d like to put a low shelf filter on a sealed sub that extends well below 20hz. It appears when you do select one that it extends well below 20. Id like to bring up the natural roll of just a bit down to 10-15hz.

I think you mean high pass filter, changing the filter slope/cut off rate to a more shallow cut off may do what your looking for.

Chris Burns

Driverack PA2 or Venue Low Shelf Freq Range
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 11:48:09 PM »

I think you mean high pass filter, changing the filter slope/cut off rate to a more shallow cut off may do what your looking for.

Indeed the Slope of the filter rolloff. Looked it up and it seems the most shallow I can make it is 3db/octave, so lowest freq is 20hz, so at 10hz I’ll be 3db attenuated. So if I add 3db I’ll be at unity gain by 10hz and +1.5db at 15hz. I’ll have to get creative with maybe a low Q bell.

I believe I answered my own question with that nudge by looking it up. What? Open the manual?? Blasphemy!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:08:20 AM by Chris Burns »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »

Indeed the Slope of the filter rolloff. Looked it up and it seems the most shallow I can make it is 3db/octave, so lowest freq is 20hz, so at 10hz I’ll be 3db attenuated. So if I add 3db I’ll be at unity gain by 10hz and +1.5db at 15hz. I’ll have to get creative with maybe a low Q bell.

I believe I answered my own question with that nudge by looking it up. What? Open the manual?? Blasphemy!

If you use the crossover function as a high pass filter the available
filter slopes range from 6db to 48db per octave. Not sure where you got the 3db per octave.

Chris Burns

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 12:30:15 PM »

If you use the crossover function as a high pass filter the available
filter slopes range from 6db to 48db per octave. Not sure where you got the 3db per octave.

Thanks Mike. I got 3db from the spec on the selectable rolloff of the low shelf PEQ filter. You’ll have to explain to me how you’re thinking the use of the HP Xover will assist? I don’t put a HP on the low end. As I am looking for deep extension to and below 10hz, hence the use of a sealed cab. This isn’t a PA application, I’m using the equipment in a high output theater.

My use of the Low Shelf will boost the natural sealed rolloff curve of the sealed system, I augment that by reducing the overall gain by 3db and setting a limiter, thus the driver is flat to below 20 hz to about 10 hz +/- 1-2db. The driver has lots of excursion and does well in this capacity.

Thanks.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 05:11:33 PM »

FWIW, when it comes to EQing below the capabilities of a processor, I usually EQ down the >20Hz range and then boost overall signal levels. REW can simulate EQ applied to a given frequency response measurement.

Curious - what're the drivers you're using for this?
I tried sealed boxes for my PA system for a while, and the output just wasn't there (even in smaller venues) with 4x high power 15"s. Swapping to ported boxes made a world of difference.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 05:34:40 PM »

The crossover high pass/low cut will go down to 16hz on those, with for instance a 6db per octave cut off that would be 6db down at 8hz.

That all said I miss understood your use of "filter" as in wanting to do an extreme low frequency low cut filter.

Chris Burns

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 10:09:56 PM »

Stereo Integrity HS-24s. Two double cabs. Total of 4. Plenty of headroom and excursion.

These are incredible drivers. Definitely made for install work. Def not for the road!

Eventually I may put them in ported cabs tuned for 20hz, however each would be the size of a refrigerator.

That is a great idea about putting a cut above 20 and boosting the signal. Genius!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 10:09:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.