ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PRO or MI Speakers?  (Read 9926 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: PRO or MI Speakers?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 12:27:17 PM »

A guy has to have aspirations!

I think there is a small surgery to fix that. :P
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »

I recall the difficulty last century when Peavey attempted to make and sell a series of truly professional boxes. The first obvious problems was an existing distribution that didn't appreciate the differences. But worse than unappreciative customers, it was maddening to try to convince dealers that the extra expense was justified. If the dealers think the price is a ripoff they are not going to support selling them to customers.

Robustness is just one factor, more rigid cabinets, more consistent drivers (for arraying), etc. These all cost money, that our market segment rejected.

Modern MI boxes like everything else continue to get better, but there will still be differences between them and the big boys. Whether the entire cost difference is justified is another debate for another day. 

JR

Hi John,

Always a pleasure to hear from you.

You have a good point.  No one blinks at spending >4K on a MEYER box, while many people would look at you funny if you suggested that they pay the same for a JBL or QSC.

As far as arraying, I think that the current "MI" level customers tend not to need it, or don't care as much about the artifacts produced.  With a simple one top per side over some set of subs (multiple can be used), you can fill a pretty decent sized club .... say up to around 500 cap with "MI" speakers (SRX, DZR, RCF, etc).  Perhaps once you grow beyond this level of sound reinforcement, you really should be thinking about a more pro level setup.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 05:37:11 AM »

Hi John,

Always a pleasure to hear from you.

You have a good point.  No one blinks at spending >4K on a MEYER box, while many people would look at you funny if you suggested that they pay the same for a JBL or QSC.

As far as arraying, I think that the current "MI" level customers tend not to need it, or don't care as much about the artifacts produced.  With a simple one top per side over some set of subs (multiple can be used), you can fill a pretty decent sized club .... say up to around 500 cap with "MI" speakers (SRX, DZR, RCF, etc).  Perhaps once you grow beyond this level of sound reinforcement, you really should be thinking about a more pro level setup.

Scott; 

Speakers that can be arrayed are starting to reach the semi pro boxes (?) as in the DB Technologies IG series. These column array speakers can be doubled up for more output and vertical steering to some degree.  They also include RDnet for a much larger menu for control and monitoring. Interesting times as Pro Level boxes are pushed into the Semi Pro / MI range.

Douglas R. Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=IeUv4qmAqeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCYYAsTUd0&t=8s

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:39:56 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 06:41:32 PM »

Scott; 

Speakers that can be arrayed are starting to reach the semi pro boxes (?) as in the DB Technologies IG series. These column array speakers can be doubled up for more output and vertical steering to some degree.  They also include RDnet for a much larger menu for control and monitoring. Interesting times as Pro Level boxes are pushed into the Semi Pro / MI range.

Douglas R. Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=IeUv4qmAqeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCYYAsTUd0&t=8s

Impressive GUI and a very interesting concept.
I looked up the 2X10+HF model price ($1600).  That competes well in price with the RCF745a, SRX812 and DZR12 ... at least close enough to be in spitting distance.

I would be interested to hear how it competes with those systems side by side.  It certainly looks good.  I like the idea of the 2x10+Horn setup.  The SRX722 was always a favorite of mine with a 2x12+Horn.

Have you heard them?

This speaker does indeed look like Pro level features being pushed down into the Semi-Pro/MI range.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 08:38:39 PM »

Impressive GUI and a very interesting concept.
I looked up the 2X10+HF model price ($1600).  That competes well in price with the RCF745a, SRX812 and DZR12 ... at least close enough to be in spitting distance.

I would be interested to hear how it competes with those systems side by side.  It certainly looks good.  I like the idea of the 2x10+Horn setup.  The SRX722 was always a favorite of mine with a 2x12+Horn.

Have you heard them?

This speaker does indeed look like Pro level features being pushed down into the Semi-Pro/MI range.

I have the IG4T and know others who have them and the IG3T's as well. Everyone seems to be very happy with them as am I.  With 2 aside and enough subs people are doing the 800 crowd size events. For me a clean box with a 40lb weight is a winner as does my back! ;-)  Search here IG4T and my name as I've put a few post up.

https://www.facebook.com/371069353615/videos/10154842280948616/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIpSyEdm_nU

Douglas R. Allen

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 08:48:53 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

David Allred

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 08:19:45 AM »

A guy has to have aspirations!

And as an antique, an aspirator as well.  ;)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2019, 06:16:18 PM »

IMHO I think what separates MI/PRO/Touring speakers from each other is how well they perform over time.

A MI box is usually not worth repairing. It's cheap and when it breaks, you throw it away.
Once you move into boxes that can be used reliable for a few years (5+) and can be repaired when they break I consider them PRO.
Touring grade I expect to sound good and be reliable 15+ years from now. I retuned an EV Xarray system today for a band, Xn tops over X-Sub with Dynacord PowerH amps. The speakers are around 17 years old and still sound stunning once you dial in the amps. There is a whole lot of systems used today that I regularly mix on where I wish I could have something like this Xarray system.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2019, 11:04:29 PM »

I have the IG4T and know others who have them and the IG3T's as well. Everyone seems to be very happy with them as am I.  With 2 aside and enough subs people are doing the 800 crowd size events. For me a clean box with a 40lb weight is a winner as does my back! ;-)  Search here IG4T and my name as I've put a few post up.

https://www.facebook.com/371069353615/videos/10154842280948616/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIpSyEdm_nU

Douglas R. Allen

How is the column attached to the sub? Is it simply on a pole short enough that it doesn’t raise the column off the sub?
I remember reading that there was concern that the weight of two speakers stacked might damage the pole cup in the ig4t.

Patrick Cognitore

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2019, 01:30:22 AM »

How is the column attached to the sub? Is it simply on a pole short enough that it doesn’t raise the column off the sub?
I remember reading that there was concern that the weight of two speakers stacked might damage the pole cup in the ig4t.

This video shows the stacking and linking hardware. It looks well thought out.

https://youtu.be/gZ_y9iCDypQ?t=1216

Lyle Williams

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2019, 05:21:06 AM »

Wherever the line is drawn, portable column arrays are below that line.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2019, 05:21:06 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.