ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PRO or MI Speakers?  (Read 9915 times)

Eric Snodgrass

Re: PRO or MI Speakers?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 07:40:12 PM »

My most recent thought was about stage snake drops. We have networked audio that connects a mixer to a stage box and then we use analog snakes to route signal around the stage. Why haven't we just made networked drop boxes? A single brain with X number of network connections handles all the traffic while each drop box can have say 8 in and 4 outs, or a series of options like 16 in 8 out, or 12 in 4 out; whatever. We don't typically need more than 4 drop snakes for even a fairly busy stage and we need power at each location anyway, so why bother with an analog drop snake. I'm thinking of say a network switch/brain that connects between the mixer and however many stage boxes you need. Each box has an address that can be assigned and you can put #1 at the drums, #2 by the bass and guitars, #3 by the keyboards and #4 goes to the front for vocals or whatever. Then you patch at the mixer how you need it. You can have redundancy and daisy chain the stage boxes. You can use custom and readily available lengths of network cable and for fixed installation, you can even make the in-floor boxes so the connections are really safe. No more big heavy snakes and snakeheads, less copper to carry around and no need for a splitter anymore if you go with a monitor/FOH/ that can utilize Dante or AES50.

So something like the Allen & Heath Dante products?  Or their AB168 and DX168 stage boxes? 

Or the Turbosound IQ speaker series that can all be networked together via their Ultranet protocol, thus eliminating the need for XLR? 

It seems that the future is now.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 09:51:19 PM »

If that is true, could cure G.A.S.

Just like there is a market right now for records, turntables, and 8 track players, the future entrepreneurs will cater to the GASaholics of today with antique speakers, analogue mixers, and XLR cables.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 11:02:33 PM »

Just like there is a market right now for records, turntables, and 8 track players, the future entrepreneurs will cater to the GASaholics of today with antique speakers, analogue mixers, and XLR cables.

I'm rapidly becoming an antique analogue mixer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Fruits

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 08:22:18 AM »

As a sidebar issue, how about Pro versus MI support.   It seems there is some concern with formerly Pro level gear companies being restructured and part of that is loss of key personnel and support closer to the MI level.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 08:27:05 AM »

The definition of an antique is at least 100 years old.  Unless you're a lot older than I think you are, you are probably more "vintage".

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 08:29:16 AM »

You can have my PM3K when you can pry it from my cold de....
Wait, that 6 pound box can do 128 x 64?
Processing and dynamics on every input/output?
Control from a tablet?
It only costs .......
and. and. and...
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 08:41:27 AM »

The definition of an antique is at least 100 years old.  Unless you're a lot older than I think you are, you are probably more "vintage".

TJ, are you saying that I am an antique?...or maybe like Tim, I just feel that way.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Scott Bolt

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 09:03:43 AM »

The ~1K speaker market today is filled with speakers that can easily be used in a professional setting IMO.  The output and sound quality are pro quality and likely far from the weak link in the venues they are appropriate for use in.

It is however, undeniably true that modern MI boxes have focused more on output and sound quality than they have on durability.

Higher end speakers differentiate themselves through their grit IMO.

Now, I won't be arguing that a SRX box is going to sound "just as good" as a MEYER UPA.  That would be silly.  I would argue that the SRX box is 1/4th the price and half the weight though.  I would also argue that most venues would never notice the difference in sound quality (although we here might).

I would further add that a specific company (JBL for instance) makes speakers from "unworthy as a foot stool in a frat party" .... like the JRX, to "touring ready" VRX.  You have to address a specific speaker model to determine how "pro" it is.

As with all things, YMMV.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 09:45:35 AM »

The ~1K speaker market today is filled with speakers that can easily be used in a professional setting IMO.  The output and sound quality are pro quality and likely far from the weak link in the venues they are appropriate for use in.

It is however, undeniably true that modern MI boxes have focused more on output and sound quality than they have on durability.

Higher end speakers differentiate themselves through their grit IMO.

Now, I won't be arguing that a SRX box is going to sound "just as good" as a MEYER UPA.  That would be silly.  I would argue that the SRX box is 1/4th the price and half the weight though.  I would also argue that most venues would never notice the difference in sound quality (although we here might).

I would further add that a specific company (JBL for instance) makes speakers from "unworthy as a foot stool in a frat party" .... like the JRX, to "touring ready" VRX.  You have to address a specific speaker model to determine how "pro" it is.

As with all things, YMMV.
I recall the difficulty last century when Peavey attempted to make and sell a series of truly professional boxes. The first obvious problems was an existing distribution that didn't appreciate the differences. But worse than unappreciative customers, it was maddening to try to convince dealers that the extra expense was justified. If the dealers think the price is a ripoff they are not going to support selling them to customers.

Robustness is just one factor, more rigid cabinets, more consistent drivers (for arraying), etc. These all cost money, that our market segment rejected.

Modern MI boxes like everything else continue to get better, but there will still be differences between them and the big boys. Whether the entire cost difference is justified is another debate for another day. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 09:47:52 AM »

A guy has to have aspirations!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 09:47:52 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.