ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line Array Intelligibility Distance  (Read 7621 times)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: Line Array Intelligibility Distance
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »

Josh, here is my .02 worth.  I realize that the HDL20a is easy to cross rent in your area, as it is in most.  If it were me, I would start purchasing the HDL30a since it is a significant upgrade to the HDL20a.  I would get enough of the HDL30a for the delay towers and then rent enough HDL20a for my main tower.  You can then spread your purchase over two years or more instead of doing everything in one year.  Cash flow.  It also gets you started down a path where you can get a better sounding box than the HDL20a with more features and still do the shows you are moving into.

Just a thought.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 04:57:15 PM »

I would rather have another easily deployed option available. 
Check out a suggestion from another member- very cool, clean approach to height and can get my subs where I want them.  They have weight plates available.
I do plan to have at least 12 if not 16 boxes within the year...

I think you're selling yourself short here Josh.  A fixed-height stand like that will only be effective when its height happens to be the magic number that works for the specific situation.  I think you're going to come in short more often than not.  If that's the route you must go you'd be better off using sticks of truss since they're cheap enough to keep various lengths in stock for different applications, minus the obligatory mention of the caveat you should only be using rigging hardware/techniques prescribed by the manufacturer.  My questions from your other thread still stand - namely how are you going to get the array up there?  Are you really going to build the array element-by-element while balancing on a ladder?  Between the amount of ballast you're going to need and the number of pieces in the system you're talking, nothing here screams easy to deploy.  I still believe that a small lift is going to be simplest option to get the array where it needs to go.  If you're willing to spend the money on this type of system then you also need to be willing to spend the money on the non-flashy stuff needed to use it properly.  There's a reason why at a certain point logistics takes precedence over (or at least becomes a near-equal to) sound quality.

If the notion of spending $5K on lifts and moving them around scares you, you're not going to like the other aspects of buying/moving a system with the kind of weight you're looking at.  I can sympathize with the desire for this to be a one or two-person system, but once you reach a certain point it's just not going to happen.  If your gigs don't have the budget to pay for the crew you need to deploy the rig then they certainly don't have the budget to pay for the rig itself in the first place!   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 04:57:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.