ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicals/Theatre: Controlling Q-software from desk, or vice versa?  (Read 6657 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Musicals/Theatre: Controlling Q-software from desk, or vice versa?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 03:31:48 PM »

I would use any switch that appeals to you as long as it can be normally open and momentary. Just put it across a midi footswich controller and let that be the midi input to whatever you want to control.

Mac

Agreed.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any particular favorites based on usability/etc.  I know for me a lot of this comes down to where in my workspace i can put the dang thing. 
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 03:53:48 PM »

I'm still happy with my $15 USB numeric keypads.  Velcros onto any console easily, never looses connection with the host .  I've used colored sharpies to make the keys better targets in low light.  Only improvement I'd go for is back lit keys but that starts to drift into the Companion realm and less likely to be slim and lightweight.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »

I'm still happy with my $15 USB numeric keypads.  Velcros onto any console easily, never looses connection with the host .  I've used colored sharpies to make the keys better targets in low light.  Only improvement I'd go for is back lit keys but that starts to drift into the Companion realm and less likely to be slim and lightweight.

You've mentioned this solution before, but i need to get a couple of those.  Small, lightweight, cheap.  One of those would make an excellent OMG trigger for my backup machine when the primary goes haywire for whatever reason. 

I'm running two Streamdecks and Companion now, so complicated over the top triggering i've got down.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 11:27:03 AM »

Agreed.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any particular favorites based on usability/etc.  I know for me a lot of this comes down to where in my workspace i can put the dang thing.

Here's the thread I (also) created a while ago:

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=167734.0

I landed on a stream deck myself after valuable input from that thread. Picking it up in a few days hopefully.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 12:02:52 PM »

It all depends on how you want to execute various parts of the automation and playback.

Sometimes you want the scene GO button on the console to advance the scene automation on the console and a separate button for the playback effects. Sometimes they may not always be in exactly the same order.

It just all depends. It's too complicated an equation to really solve in a vague forum post. Lots of variables go into why you would chose one over the other. And you might do it differently for different shows with exactly the same equipment.

Indeed. I was just asking for examples, and I think I just figured out one myself.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK there is no function in the QL/CL to automatically advance to the next scene, after the previous one has ran for a set amount of time, like a Digico for example?

For instance a song is finished, I don't want to manually skip to the next scene in the CL/QL (reverb off, backup-singers off etc) , so I can use a cue in SCS to trigger the next scene in the Yamaha, which is just a control cue, without audio.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:05:03 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 12:37:21 PM »

Pls correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK there is no function in the QL/CL to automatically advance to the next scene, after the previous one has ran for a set amount of time, like a Digico for example?

You can do this with the UDKs. Scene Inc and Scene Dec increment up or decrement down the scene numbers and each can be a UDK function.

Mac

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »

You can do this with the UDKs. Scene Inc and Scene Dec increment up or decrement down the scene numbers and each can be a UDK function.

Mac

Right.. Sorry to ask, but I don't know what UDK is. I just searched through (ctrl+f in the pdf) the yammie reference manual but I couldn't find any instances of "UDK".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:04:44 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »

Right.. Sorry to ask, but I don't know what UDK is. I just searched through (ctrl+f in the pdf) the yammie reference manual but I couldn't find any instances of "UDK".
User Defined Key.....
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 01:07:49 PM »

"User Defined Key", you access the set up of them in the setup screen, then User Setup, then the tabs at the bottom of the screen.

They are not available in CL/QL Editor, only on the console.

Mac

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 01:13:47 PM »

"User Defined Key", you access the set up of them in the setup screen, then User Setup, then the tabs at the bottom of the screen.

They are not available in CL/QL Editor, only on the console.

Mac

Aha, I use those all the time for scene + and scene -. But the function itself, that the "show" advances to the next scene automaticalle after a given amount of time, is not on the CL/QL?

For instance, on the SD11 I'm currently using I have over 100 scenes, but only 30-40 of them are called by me. The rest are something like: I trigger a new cue and audio file from QLab, and the desk goes into the "song-scene", but I've programmed that whenever a singer has a verse, the desk just pushes up that singers fader, after a set amount of time, and so on. So a song can have for instance 9 scenes, but only the first one is triggered by me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:17:12 PM by Miguel Dahl »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 01:13:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.