ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicals/Theatre: Controlling Q-software from desk, or vice versa?  (Read 6656 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Musicals/Theatre: Controlling Q-software from desk, or vice versa?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 01:19:29 PM »

Aha, I use those all the time for scene + and scene -. But the function itself, that the "show" advances to the next scene automaticalle after a given amount of time, is not on the CL/QL?

For instance, on the SD11 I'm currently using I have over 100 scenes, but only 30-40 of them are called by me. The rest are something like: I trigger a new cue and audio file from QLab, and the desk goes into the "song-scene", but I've programmed that whenever a singer has a verse, the desk just pushes up that singers fader, after a set amount of time, and so on. So a song can have for instance 9 scenes, but only the first one is triggered by me.

I don't think the CL/QL has that functionality.

However, the Beta version of Companion supports CL/QL functions and so could theoretically provide this function.  You could also do this directly from QLab if you wanted.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 01:25:04 PM »

I don't think the CL/QL has that functionality.

However, the Beta version of Companion supports CL/QL functions and so could theoretically provide this function.  You could also do this directly from QLab if you wanted.

That's what I thought. I just downloaded the latest version of the Companion (build 1.3.0). I have yet to understand how to couple Companion with the CL/QL. Pr now I thought that I had to go through the SCS to send midi triggers to the desk.

Is it possible to load the SCS-"file/template/settings", in companion, and have control over the yammie directly, as well as SCS, though the stream deck?

For instance controlling SCS, and also have a button on the stream deck to "mute group 1" on the board? Or would I have to make a button on the companion to be a hotkey in SCS, which then sends a midi trigger to mute the desk? My guess is that I can't since I only have one midi input option into the desk.

FYI. I'm mentioning both SD11 and CL/QL, Qlab  and SCS because my normal setup is Yamaha + SCS, but currently I'm using SD11 + Qlab. So SCS/Yamaha is the point of interest for me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:01:09 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 01:42:32 PM »

Aha, I use those all the time for scene + and scene -. But the function itself, that the "show" advances to the next scene automaticalle after a given amount of time, is not on the CL/QL?

For instance, on the SD11 I'm currently using I have over 100 scenes, but only 30-40 of them are called by me. The rest are something like: I trigger a new cue and audio file from QLab, and the desk goes into the "song-scene", but I've programmed that whenever a singer has a verse, the desk just pushes up that singers fader, after a set amount of time, and so on. So a song can have for instance 9 scenes, but only the first one is triggered by me.

Yes, that would need to be done via Midi control from QLab. The only Yamaha console that can chase timecode is the DM2000.

Mac

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 01:45:22 PM »

Yes, that would need to be done via Midi control from QLab. The only Yamaha console that can chase timecode is the DM2000.

Mac

Thanks! That eliminates that option.

brian maddox

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 08:14:54 PM »

That's what I thought. I just downloaded the latest version of the Companion (build 1.3.0). I have yet to understand how to couple Companion with the CL/QL. Pr now I thought that I had to go through the SCS to send midi triggers to the desk.

Is it possible to load the SCS-"file/template/settings", in companion, and have control over the yammie directly, as well as SCS, though the stream deck?

For instance controlling SCS, and also have a button on the stream deck to "mute group 1" on the board? Or would I have to make a button on the companion to be a hotkey in SCS, which then sends a midi trigger to mute the desk? My guess is that I can't since I only have one midi input option into the desk.

FYI. I'm mentioning both SD11 and CL/QL, Qlab  and SCS because my normal setup is Yamaha + SCS, but currently I'm using SD11 + Qlab. So SCS/Yamaha is the point of interest for me.

The Yamaha module is Bleeding Edgeware at the moment, so is not included in the current "stable" build.  I've just downloaded and looked at it, and currently the Yamaha functionality includes basic channel on/off/level control as well as output on/off/level control and scene recall.  This functionality, while technically using MIDI, would be transmitted to the CL/QL console via the network connection over IP.

So, once this passes Beta, you could certainly use it to do exactly what you wish to do.  You can have a single Streamdeck button start a cue on SCS/Qlab while simultaneously unmuting/raising a channel.  You could then have that same button push cause ANOTHER cue to happen X number of ms later along with a corresponding Audio change and so on and so on with any amount of pause inbetween.  None of this is tracking to any sort of Timecode of course.  It's just a series of timed "Commands" being sent from companion to various devices.  But it could be done this way.

Of course you could also create the cue stack in SCS/Qlab to control both playback and MIDI control of the CL/QL and just use companion to trigger that cue stack.  Just depends on which way suits your workflow best.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 08:18:36 PM »

I just downloaded the latest version of the Companion (build 1.3.0). I have yet to understand how to couple Companion with the CL/QL.
You will have to use a beta (bleeding edge as they call it) build to try the CL/QL implementations. https://builds.bitfocus.io/companion/

brian maddox

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:27 PM »

You will have to use a beta (bleeding edge as they call it) build to try the CL/QL implementations. https://builds.bitfocus.io/companion/

^^this.  :)

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »

The Yamaha module is Bleeding Edgeware at the moment, so is not included in the current "stable" build.  I've just downloaded and looked at it, and currently the Yamaha functionality includes basic channel on/off/level control as well as output on/off/level control and scene recall.  This functionality, while technically using MIDI, would be transmitted to the CL/QL console via the network connection over IP.

So, once this passes Beta, you could certainly use it to do exactly what you wish to do.  You can have a single Streamdeck button start a cue on SCS/Qlab while simultaneously unmuting/raising a channel.  You could then have that same button push cause ANOTHER cue to happen X number of ms later along with a corresponding Audio change and so on and so on with any amount of pause inbetween.  None of this is tracking to any sort of Timecode of course.  It's just a series of timed "Commands" being sent from companion to various devices.  But it could be done this way.

Of course you could also create the cue stack in SCS/Qlab to control both playback and MIDI control of the CL/QL and just use companion to trigger that cue stack.  Just depends on which way suits your workflow best.

Ah, so it uses the ethernet port in both computer and desk?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:33:18 AM by Miguel Dahl »

brian maddox

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 03:33:47 PM »

Ah, so it uses the ethernet port in both computer and desk?

Yes.  Basically Companion works off of a Local Network.  I usually set mine up as a separate control network with my QLab machines, My primary Control MBP, and my Console all on one switch.  You CAN do the whole shooting match on the Dante Primary network switch if that helps square things WRT available NIC.  I've done this before and it works fine, but it is putting a few eggs in one basket so YMMV.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 11:44:18 AM »

Yes.  Basically Companion works off of a Local Network.  I usually set mine up as a separate control network with my QLab machines, My primary Control MBP, and my Console all on one switch.  You CAN do the whole shooting match on the Dante Primary network switch if that helps square things WRT available NIC.  I've done this before and it works fine, but it is putting a few eggs in one basket so YMMV.

Awesome! Thanks for the help. Now I have a better picture of things.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 11:44:18 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.