ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital box mixer?  (Read 5912 times)

W. Mark Hellinger

Digital box mixer?
« on: February 08, 2019, 09:18:15 AM »

Maybe this has been hashed through here... but I couldn't find specifically what I was looking for searching... maybe because I don't know enough to ask an understandable question... so bear with me:

Long story as short as I can make it:  I perform in a 5 piece band.  We're seemingly enjoying local "success" (our product seems to be in demand).  We rarely perform in venues equipped with house systems, so we're generally supplying our own sound and lights.  My fellow band mates' primary interest is in performing/entertaining... "the gear" is simply the means... they just want to plug and play with minimal fussing around (goes without saying), but quality is a truly supported priority, so-long as the pursuit of quality doesn't go past a diminished point of return.

We generally "mix from stage" using a simple box mixer... the box mixer system works well from the aspects that it's intuitive for the band, it's quick, easy, reliable, and works fine for especially dialing in an acceptable stage mix... but the house mix is less sure...  the box mixer "on stage" is a bit of throwing the baby out with the bath water for making the over-all machine function... a compromise solution as with most things in life, but I suspect this aspect is needlessly over-compromised?  Commonly we (I) rely on feedback from spouses or reliable critics in attendance for tweaking the house mix.  But, I'm thinking it would be great if I could hand one of those in attendance that I trust (like my wife Liz) a tablet to tweak the house mix and punch effects in and out as suitable... as opposed to set-it and forget-it.

Any suggestions?

Dave Scarlett

Re: Digital box mixer?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:40:04 AM »

Hi Mark, I'm not sure I can really follow what you are on about. There's a nice selection of small digital mixers these days you can run from a tablet or iPad on you mic stand. I've been successfully using a XR-18 for about fours years and it's worked well for me.

Barry Reynolds

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 09:50:51 AM »

I've done this for years with A&H Qu-SB (only Ipad mixing and phone mixing for individual monitors).

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 12:00:07 PM »

Hi Mark, I'm not sure I can really follow what you are on about. There's a nice selection of small digital mixers these days you can run from a tablet or iPad on you mic stand. I've been successfully using a XR-18 for about fours years and it's worked well for me.
Per exactly Dave:  I've been out of the loop of small digital mixers for long enough to not know enough to ask a good question.  Thanks for the suggestions folks... I'll start reading-up... and likely be back with (better) questions.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 12:22:42 PM »

Mark, I just realized that you are Mark of audiopile.net. Thanks for the service you provide to lots of folks here.

One point of clarification: When you refer to a "box" mixer, do you mean a powered mixer similar to the one in the attached image?
Do you plan to continue using that as an amp if you get a digital mixer?

Those answers won't change the digital mixer recommendations any but I thought it might help clarify what you're using now.

Options for small digital mixers are:
Behringer X-Air series
Behringer X32 Rack
Soundcraft UI series
QSC Touchmix
Mackie DL series
Presonus StudioLive Rack series
Allen & Heath Qu-Pac or Qu-SB

Lots of power in these small packages. Lots of options too.
I'd start by looking at the Soundcraft UI or Allen & Heath Qu. The latter will require an external WiFi access point.
The QSC Touchmix, while expensive, is convenient because of the built-in touchscreen. If WiFi dies, you still have control.
My personal preference is the Behringer X32 because it's the most capable in my estimation, however, for a small events, I'd be strongly tempted by the Soundcraft UI.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 04:11:18 PM »

Maybe this has been hashed through here... but I couldn't find specifically what I was looking for searching... maybe because I don't know enough to ask an understandable question... so bear with me:

Long story as short as I can make it:  I perform in a 5 piece band.  We're seemingly enjoying local "success" (our product seems to be in demand).  We rarely perform in venues equipped with house systems, so we're generally supplying our own sound and lights.  My fellow band mates' primary interest is in performing/entertaining... "the gear" is simply the means... they just want to plug and play with minimal fussing around (goes without saying), but quality is a truly supported priority, so-long as the pursuit of quality doesn't go past a diminished point of return.

We generally "mix from stage" using a simple box mixer... the box mixer system works well from the aspects that it's intuitive for the band, it's quick, easy, reliable, and works fine for especially dialing in an acceptable stage mix... but the house mix is less sure...  the box mixer "on stage" is a bit of throwing the baby out with the bath water for making the over-all machine function... a compromise solution as with most things in life, but I suspect this aspect is needlessly over-compromised?  Commonly we (I) rely on feedback from spouses or reliable critics in attendance for tweaking the house mix.  But, I'm thinking it would be great if I could hand one of those in attendance that I trust (like my wife Liz) a tablet to tweak the house mix and punch effects in and out as suitable... as opposed to set-it and forget-it.

Any suggestions?

Many of the current digital rack-mixers could be mounted in a small rack case with class D amp and would probably be the same size and weight as a typical box mixer.  The amp of course could be eliminated by going to self-powered speakers.

Functionally they differ in that you now have to tote your tablet, screen or laptop to run the thing as there usually aren't any physical controls on them. 
Similarly if while playing you used to reach over and tweak a knob almost by feel alone, you would now have to give a touchscreen much more attention and a careful steady hand so as not to slide across other controls or move the control you want too fast or too much.  (sometimes not easy to do while picking/strumming/keyboarding or drumming with your other hand)

I have experienced some performers using the Behringer X-touch midi fader panel running an XR18 to restore some of that tactile feel to the musicians while still allowing a simultaneous tablet out in the house.

The little Presonus 16-ch console-type mixers also can provide that analog knob/fader feel while allowing a house remote.  (I however don't know if the current models have adopted moving faders yet because the original ones surface could get out-of-sync with remote adjustments.)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 06:19:14 PM »

Mark, I just realized that you are Mark of audiopile.net. Thanks for the service you provide to lots of folks here.
Thank you for the compliment Corey!

One point of clarification: When you refer to a "box" mixer, do you mean a powered mixer similar to the one in the attached image?
Do you plan to continue using that as an amp if you get a digital mixer?
Yes, we've been using a couple of hybrid powered box mixer based systems.  I have two identical systems for back-to-back shows and such.  The hybrid part is that I've been powering the FOH speakers with IPR-3000's, and just use the box mixer amps for monitors.  I'll rack up another couple more IPR's with the digital mixer and kick the box mixers to the curb.

Options for small digital mixers are:
Behringer X-Air series
Behringer X32 Rack
Soundcraft UI series
QSC Touchmix
Mackie DL series
Presonus StudioLive Rack series
Allen & Heath Qu-Pac or Qu-SB

Lots of power in these small packages. Lots of options too.
I'd start by looking at the Soundcraft UI or Allen & Heath Qu. The latter will require an external WiFi access point.
The QSC Touchmix, while expensive, is convenient because of the built-in touchscreen. If WiFi dies, you still have control.
My personal preference is the Behringer X32 because it's the most capable in my estimation, however, for a small events, I'd be strongly tempted by the Soundcraft UI.
Thanks for the recommendations.  I'll likely go with the X32 Rack since it should play nicely with my Midas mixers if need be.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 06:22:12 PM by W. Mark Hellinger »

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 09:40:14 PM »

Functionally they differ in that you now have to tote your tablet, screen or laptop to run the thing as there usually aren't any physical controls on them. 
Similarly if while playing you used to reach over and tweak a knob almost by feel alone, you would now have to give a touchscreen much more attention and a careful steady hand so as not to slide across other controls or move the control you want too fast or too much.  (sometimes not easy to do while picking/strumming/keyboarding or drumming with your other hand)
Understood, and that's certainly a bit of my concern, but the band has been using an IEM system sporadically for a few years and are comfortable with adjusting their monitor mixes on their phones... on bigger shows when we're utilizing on of my Midas mixers and such.  I think they'll warm right up to-it... just a matter of getting used to... kind of like explaining to Liz (my wife) the first time she took my car for a spin:  "Those levers?  Those are paddle shifters.  Yes, it is an automatic... no, you don't need to shift it manually, but you can if you'd like, or you can totally disregard... likely best you disregard them for now.  Those two buttons?  Those are for manual deployment of the aerofoil… otherwise it will take care of itself.  Yes, there's lots of buttons and such... but here's all you really need to know... key in your pocket... push this button to start or stop the engine... steering wheel, brake pedal, gas, lights, turn signals, seat belt.... yes, that knurled dial is for the seat heater."  She did return from the spin around the block, with a smile... and said "I could get used to this." :)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 10:20:10 PM »

Mark!  I just replaced an all in one and failing Mackie 808S powered mixer with a Soundcraft Ui16 and a stereo amp I had laying around. The Ui12 would have done the job I needed it to do, but I wanted something rack mountable.  The whole package resides in an eight space roto rack with a pull out handle and poly wheels.  I'm up in Spokane and close enough to you to arrange for you to demo it, if you're interested.
This space for rent

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 12:01:01 AM »

Hi Mark,

For your use my first choice would be the Mackie DL16S, as I find the interface easy and fast to mix with.
The new app is almost ready for prime time...

Midas MR18 has some features the DL16S doesn't have, and is missing some that I use.

QSC Touchmix is ok, and the interface is getting better.  Analog gains.

A&H Qu-16 is a bit limiting for me.  Qu-SB looks like it could be useful.

Yamaha TF-Rack looks a bit stripped to me.

Soundcraft Ui24R looks interesting, have yet to use one.

Presonus is not my cup of tea.

For most of these you can download the app for free and give them a try.

Any of these have features we didn't dream of thirty years ago,
in the small space we couldn't have imagined.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 12:01:01 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.