ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Meyer M-1 vs M-1A  (Read 2072 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
[SOLVED] Meyer M-1 vs M-1A
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:28:08 AM »

Not sure if this belongs here or in the "History" forum, but...

I recently came into a pair of UPA-1Cs which came with what are labelled as M-1 (not M-1A) processors. While I've been able to find the manual for the UPA-1C (which, of course, only mentions the M-1A processor) and the manual for the M-1A processor itself, neither the Meyer website nor Google seems to be able to give me any information at all about the M-1 processor (except for one used gear listing for an M-1 which claimed it had been upgraded into an M-1A).

So, does anyone know the difference between the M-1 and the M-1A? Is this theoretical upgrade process worth it/straightforward/something that I can check and see if the previous owner has already done?

(For the record, I'm not planning on doing anything demanding or even particularly important with the UPAs—they were literally free—but if anyone has any information they can share with me about my mythical M-1 processors I'd really appreciate it.)

Thanks!

-Russ
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 02:55:47 PM by Russell Ault »

Mark Wilkinson

Re: Meyer M-1 vs M-1A
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 07:58:22 AM »

The M-1A is the same as the M-1, other than the front panel level control is an upgraded linear taper pot.

According to an old Meyer Sound Ref Manual, the original M-1 pot was too hard to dial in.
A conversion kit was offered for the M-1.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 02:40:31 PM »

The M-1A is the same as the M-1, other than the front panel level control is an upgraded linear taper pot.

According to an old Meyer Sound Ref Manual, the original M-1 pot was too hard to dial in.
A conversion kit was offered for the M-1.

Brilliant. Thanks!

-Russ

Dan Mortensen

Re: [SOLVED] Meyer M-1 vs M-1A
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 05:55:46 PM »

It seemed to me that the M-1's were aluminum chassis while the M-1A's were steel.

Are yours aluminum?

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 10:15:24 PM »

It seemed to me that the M-1's were aluminum chassis while the M-1A's were steel.

Are yours aluminum?

Looks like the main body of the ones I have are steel, but the faceplate might well be aluminum (the fridge magnet I was testing with wouldn't stick, anyway). The body is black, while the faceplate is very dark navy blue or purple colour.

I picked up the pair from a regional theatre that also had a number of M-1As, so it's entirely possible that they don't have their original bodies.

-Russ

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »

.... Thanks!

-Russ

Glad I could help, Russ!

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 12:58:10 PM »

Looks like the main body of the ones I have are steel, but the faceplate might well be aluminum (the fridge magnet I was testing with wouldn't stick, anyway). The body is black, while the faceplate is very dark navy blue or purple colour.

I picked up the pair from a regional theatre that also had a number of M-1As, so it's entirely possible that they don't have their original bodies.

-Russ

My M-1's, which I don't have anymore, would get a hum when placed tight to Carver 1250's or 2.0's, but putting steel rack shelves between the two types of units (1 per rack) solved that problem. The Carvers had real thin metal top and bottom plates and surrounding bits, don't remember if it was steel or aluminum.

FYI

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 12:58:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.