ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Theatrical headset question...  (Read 1200 times)

Kevin Maxwell

Re: Theatrical headset question...
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 08:31:35 am »

I agree with what the others have said about having to ride the faders and rely mostly on one mic when they are singing really close together. You really have to know when they are going to be this close and when they are going to pull away. I find that for a lot of shows when you have a number where they get that close the hard part is that they usually donít stay like that, they are moving in and out of that position and that is hard to keep up with them. If the movements are consistent from performance to performance you can eventually learn what they are going to do. I did a couple of shows recently where for a number or two we had a pair of actors that did almost the whole number face to face. Those are a lot easier to handle. 

Lately I make sure that I have a marked up script in a digital version and I control the scrolling of the script with a foot peddle. So my hands are free to mix and hit the Go button. I have not seen (as in looked exclusively at the stage) most of the shows I have done lately. I donít like that but the runs of these shows arenít long enough for me to really get to know them that well. Usually by the second weekend I almost have the show down without having to look just at the script. I also have the advantage of having someone sitting next to me telling me when to recall the next scene. They have been involved in the show longer then I have but donít necessarily have the talent to actually mix the show.

I am also using Palladium (from https://www.chsounddesign.com/ ) for the cue management. The advantage is it isnít snap shots, it works on changes from cue to cue. It also will control 3 mixers at once if you need it to and they donít have to be the same brand or model of mixers. They just have to have a Palladium mixer file configured for them.  I have been using 2 Midas M32 consoles for most of the Musicals I have been doing lately. More information available on request.

Now for the dialog parts I donít have an issue with the actors getting too close together. I use auto mixers for the dialog parts. This helps a lot. Specifically I use the direct outs of the digital mixer into a bunch of Shure SCM810 auto mixers and I return the output of that into a channel for the dialog parts only. Auto mixers donít work reliably for singing, they get confused. The Shure SCM810 has a comparator circuit so it tries to only have one mic on for the same sound source. It isnít perfect but it is close. I use multiple SCM810s to give me the number of channels I need for dialog. They interconnect so they all act as one. I have used 4 at once giving me up to 32 channels. For this to work you need a quick and seamless way to switch between the singing routing and the talking routing. I have done this with different mixers at different time. If anyone wants more information regarding this just ask and I will do what I can to help.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Theatrical headset question...
¬ę Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 08:31:35 am ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.