ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cant find with search, claire bros mic cable parts list  (Read 2036 times)

Richard Turner

cant find with search, claire bros mic cable parts list
« on: February 05, 2019, 12:05:49 PM »

few years back someone posted the pieces claire bros use for long life rugged mic cables and i cant pin the tread with a search

was it neutrik M amphrenol F and some sort of belden for the cable or canare?
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

John Fruits

Re: cant find with search, claire bros mic cable parts list
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 12:27:52 PM »

It may have been @TimMcCulloch who posted it.   As I recall the original was Belden 8412 cable and one end was Switchcraft and the other end Cannon. There was also internal heat shrink tubing involved.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 02:03:57 PM »

Might have been me, but I didn't post pics.

The female is an ITT Cannon Electric XLR-3-11C.

The male is a Switchcraft XLR A3M.

Cable was/is Belden 8412.

Shrink tube is applied to the drain wire or shield braid, then shrink is applied where the outer jacked it cut, and smaller shrink or Hellerman sleeves are used where the wire enters the solder cups.

I'll look around the shop and find the Clair cable we "inherited", that I keep as an example of how things should be done, but seldom are.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 03:21:17 PM »

The male is a Switchcraft XLR A3M.

Ever since I saw the first post I've wondered about this. The Cannon connector is beefy (and costs more on its own than some of my mic cable assemblies), but any ideas why the Switchcraft is preferred over, say a Neutrik?

-Russ

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »

Ever since I saw the first post I've wondered about this. The Cannon connector is beefy (and costs more on its own than some of my mic cable assemblies), but any ideas why the Switchcraft is preferred over, say a Neutrik?

The standard Neutrik male XLR shell gets damaged pretty easily, especially the latch.  They've since come out with a heavy duty "XX" line that is better, though.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 04:41:47 PM »

The standard Neutrik male XLR shell gets damaged pretty easily, especially the latch.  They've since come out with a heavy duty "XX" line that is better, though.

Ah right, of course, that makes tonnes of sense.

Thanks!

-Russ

Richard Turner

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 09:48:11 PM »

well it was the combo they used from the 80's

Neutrilk XX amphenol AX3 tool less connectors might be more comon in 2019

8412 is still awesome cable. Have some 100ft that I've had for 20 yers that were used when i got them, scary to think 1000' roll is $1650 from mouser/digikey now
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 10:08:44 PM »

Ironically, I loaded in Clair's P.A. for Justin Timberlake just this morning. Sure enough, every mic cable was a Cannon XLR-F and a Switchcraft XLR-M.

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 10:59:49 PM »

8412 is still awesome cable. Have some 100ft that I've had for 20 yers that were used when i got them, scary to think 1000' roll is $1650 from mouser/digikey now

It would take some significant changes in connectors and cable for Clair to alter this.  The concept is "build it heavy duty, build it right - almost never need repairs."  In all these years I think I've witnessed a Clair person do 1 connector repair - to replace a partially crushed A3M - which is how I first observed the construction.

I shopped 8412 and XLR-3-11c a couple years ago and the best prices I found were around $1200/1000ft 8412 and just under $13 for the XLR.  Higher prices today wouldn't surprise.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »

It would take some significant changes in connectors and cable for Clair to alter this.  The concept is "build it heavy duty, build it right - almost never need repairs." 

... and then rent it to your customer Over and Over and Over.  Reminds me of the Western Electric phones that the Bell System leased to customers for decades.  They figured out early that it was worth it to make them as bulletproof as possible no matter the cost because it was far more profitable in the long run...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 25 queries.