ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Here we go with a mixer question  (Read 9380 times)

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Here we go with a mixer question
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 12:58:47 AM »

+1 for the SI boards.  My entire shop is SI based. Have had an x32 sitting on the shelf just in case....it's still sitting there ;)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 02:47:22 AM »

I would buy a M32 or a Pro1 depending on how many channels I needed.

John Schalk

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »

We replaced our LS9/32 with an M32 + DL32 and we couldn't be happier.  The X32/M32 software is incredibly feature rich as compared to the admittedly old LS9 series.  In my opinion, the question to ask yourself is; will I need more than 32 mic inputs?  If you're answer is no, then the M32/DL32 combo is pretty hard to beat.

As others have mentioned, there are remote mixing apps for both iOS and Android, and that applies to the Q mix app for musicians too.  I find that I can mix 90% of our show from the 8 DCAs, so layer flipping is really not a big deal to me.  Granted, I'm using the console mainly for one band, but I think 16 faders plus 8 DCAs is enough of a control surface for festival work.  The X32/M32 is so common you should be able to find one in your area to play with.  As to pricing, last fall Sweetwater direct mailed me a limited time offer for a brand new M32 + DL32 stage box for $3,500.  That deal may not be available, but it shows you what kind of bargain you can try for with the baby Midas these days.

I own an SI Performer 2, but I cannot recommend that platform.  The console is fine, but Soundcraft has not released updates for it, and it lags the X32/M32 feature set by quite a bit.  The one thing it does have going for it is channel count.  And a trim knob per channel on the Performer series, which I can see being valuable for festival work.  There are some pretty good deals out there on used GLD mixers with stage boxes now.  I'm not sure what the feature gaps are between the GLD and SQ boards, but others here can tell you if a used GLD mixer is a good move or not.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »

I want to love the Si mixers.  They sound good, the expansion capability is there.  FX by dbx and Lexicon.  A client has one and I'd rather mix on it than the other choices in their venue but it's still kind of frustrating to think I'm navigating to a setting or preference only to find myself at a dead end.  It's one of those "I know I can do this, but how" things.

And the screen in tiny.  Sorry but at my age more screen area is usually a good thing.

Ditto all that. Add to it the mediocre remote control options available for Si.
I sold my Impact for a Qu32 the minute that Mixing Station Pro supported it. Board before that was an LS9-16.
I'm quite happy with the Qu. It's effortless for guest engineers, including ones who have never mixed on digital.
I'll probably jump to SQ once they add a de-esser and a multiband compressor.

I really dislike mixing on any X/M32 physical desk. The platform is OK, but the user interface is horrible.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 11:40:37 AM »

I have an SI Expression 3 with stagebox. I really enjoy mixing on it. I found that it was the easiest of the "lower end" consoles to mix on. I have also ran into situations where i needed multiple input from the stage and locally. Not having to assign inputs in blocks of 8 really helped with this situation. I think my final channel count was 45 inputs + effects + ST inputs. I just wish the VISI Remote app actually followed the console fader page and not have to scroll all the way to the right to get to the ST inputs even though they might be on fader 1 of the console. Not having a tap button for delay on the app kinda sucks.
At my regular job we demoed an M32 with stage box and nobody really liked the workflow.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 12:38:53 PM »

The big pitfall I see with the QL is that almost all of the navigation is done via the touchscreen. That is fine and all, but in order to get back to the main view, you have to click the icon for the view you're currently on. No home button per se I guess you could say. If you are on another page and you push the EQ knob, it will home the screen but it will not go to the EQ window unless you click the EQ again. It almost always requires two taps to get where you need to go. It is just a slower mixer to navigate. Which, for live bands can be cumbersome. I can move around on the LS9 just fine, I owned one, but I find navigation on the QL to be slower. Other things like routing is a little off. The mixers Omni output section places the physical outs on the last tab in the output section. Most all of the routing and signal options prioritizes the Dante and digital signals first as opposed to the internal onboard physical I/O's. Amazing mixer, just a little slower to navigate.

The Midas M32 is amazing when you consider what it can do for the price it does it at. It is simple enough that you can almost surely take one look at it and get how it works. It has a very nice WYSIWYG in the physical layout that corresponds with the menu tabs for each channel strip. The routing is a little odd because of bad verbiage but makes sense enough.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »

I love my SC Performer, extremely flexible, sounds great.
The touch screen is mostly for setup and patching, so it's size really isn't an issue during a mix.
I hate that Soundcraft seems to have abandoned us, though.
No new firmware for a LONG time, shitty ap.

Hopefully Mixing Station will happen soon.
Or a port of the UI app.
To those who expressed interest, any progress on the wireshark dump???
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 01:11:25 PM »

The big pitfall I see with the QL is that almost all of the navigation is done via the touchscreen. That is fine and all, but in order to get back to the main view, you have to click the icon for the view you're currently on. No home button per se I guess you could say.

You can assign one of the user-defined keys to be the Home button.

Jon Dees

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 01:59:11 PM »

I love my SC Performer, extremely flexible, sounds great.
The touch screen is mostly for setup and patching, so it's size really isn't an issue during a mix.
I hate that Soundcraft seems to have abandoned us, though.
No new firmware for a LONG time, shitty ap.

Hopefully Mixing Station will happen soon.
Or a port of the UI app.
To those who expressed interest, any progress on the wireshark dump???

My hierarchy right now is

QL5
SQ7
SQ5
M32
X32

If you are used to the flexibility of ins and outs on the LS9 then the fixed architecture of the X/M32 will really throw you. Also no custom layers on the X/M boards which gets really inconvenient. The new Dante 16x8 stagebox for the SQ boards can greatly simplify architecture as well for getting I/O in the right spot.

[rant]
Harman appears to have laid off all of the Si line workers...note the Si desks are rehashes of the Si Compact which were rehashes of the Si1 which is a pivot off the Vi desks from Studer about 10 years ago...and Studer Switzerland was closed down around the same time they introduced the original Si desks. IMHO giving money to Harman right now is like setting it on fire
[/rant]

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 02:08:27 PM »

My hierarchy right now is

QL5
SQ7
SQ5
M32
X32

If you are used to the flexibility of ins and outs on the LS9 then the fixed architecture of the X/M32 will really throw you. Also no custom layers on the X/M boards which gets really inconvenient. The new Dante 16x8 stagebox for the SQ boards can greatly simplify architecture as well for getting I/O in the right spot.

[rant]
Harman appears to have laid off all of the Si line workers...note the Si desks are rehashes of the Si Compact which were rehashes of the Si1 which is a pivot off the Vi desks from Studer about 10 years ago...and Studer Switzerland was closed down around the same time they introduced the original Si desks. IMHO giving money to Harman right now is like setting it on fire
[/rant]

Samsung just pumped $84M into Harman Pro.  What they do with it remains to be seen but consolidation of Harman brands and facilities was disclosed in their annual reports starting around 2007.

Remember, Der Kapitalist told us that globalization was going to be our friend.  What it means is that the race for the cheapest labor and land continue without delivering benefits to end users other than price.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 02:08:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.