ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Here we go with a mixer question  (Read 9501 times)

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
Here we go with a mixer question
« on: February 04, 2019, 06:00:49 PM »

We are replacing an LS9/32 that was in a truck accident. Now I know it's a love hate relationship with mixers. This one has served our area and level of clients just fine.

If you were going to replace it. What would you buy that you feel would work well in this level of ats and BE's?

Thanks

Flame suite on...

John Fruits

Re: Here we go with a mixer question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »

Obligatory pedantic swerve----shouldn't that be Flame SUIT?   Unless you're speaking of oh, I don't know, maybe a boring SuperBowl half-time show, but with lots of cool flames?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 06:21:06 PM »

Behringer X32. You could get 2 of them for the cost of what you likely paid for 1 LS9/32.
Everyone knows them, they are more feature-rich than the LS9/32, albeit a lower channel count. Screen's about the same size, tho!
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 06:23:40 PM »

How about starting with defining what constitutes “this level of ats and BE's”.  Also helps to know if you are trying to push your way up in your market or sitting tight at the level of work you’re doing?

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 06:34:29 PM »

I guess if I could type it would help.

We are located in Tropical Northern Minnesota. And since I've been doing this since 1971 I plan on staying at the level I'm at. I do primarily performing arts venues up tp 1500 seats in the winter and county fair gigs in the summer.

I know there are a pleather of small digital mixers out there. I've been looking for the past week or so. Everything from Yamaha's to Midas to Behringer.

For the last several years our LS9/32 has keep everyone pretty much happy. Since we need to replace it I'm wondering what you guys would replace it with.

The hell with a flame suit....I'm tough enough...I can take it.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 07:01:12 PM »

For the last several years our LS9/32 has keep everyone pretty much happy. Since we need to replace it I'm wondering what you guys would replace it with.

The hell with a flame suit....I'm tough enough...I can take it.

We replaced our LS9 3 years ago with a Midas M32 and have been really happy with how it has worked out.  Pretty much any visiting BE will be able to run it.  It has the same OS as the Behringer X32.  It does have better, longer lasting, faders.  You can get one for under $3,500 all day long.  Additionally, the D32 stage box is cost effective and sounds great.

That was my 2.5 cents worth...inflation.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Bob Stone

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 07:12:29 PM »

What's the budget for replacement? That's really going to drive the options.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 07:39:25 PM »

I have an LS9/32 that I use for festivals. Given that, I have done some thinking of what would I buy to replace it if I didn’t already have something...

I would get an A&H SQ7.

Why?

Last year I replaced my 01v96 with an SQ5. Admittedly I was biased in that I owned a GLD and the stage boxes could be used with the SQ.

Initially I was disappointed in that several features I expected were not yet implemented. However, most of what I wanted is now there with recent firmware and there are rumors of another upgrade soon. Right now I am pretty happy.

As a 01v96 replacement, the SQ5 is great. Same physical size but more local mic inputs and more outputs and I can use a digital stage box and mix & match.

The SQ7 gets the huge fader count of the LS9/32 (which I love for festival work), more local I/O and able to use both the d-snake stage boxes (48k) or the new 96k boxes if that is important to you. Like the SQ5 (and GLD & d-live), the layers are fully customizable. For example, I have a Corp event in May that I just configured the SQ5 for (nice to do in winter) that has inputs for wireless, & lectern, playback and video, a pair of group masters, and 3 matrix masters all on one layer. Inputs come in local and via stage box as do my outputs. Nice, one cat5e to run to front.

Anyway, I love my LS9 but I really love the SQ5 & GLD. Oh, and I feel they are a bit more affordable than the Yamaha replacements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 08:42:04 PM »

The direct upgrade/replacement from Yamaha for the LS9-32 would be the QL5, which is a very nice mixer though not as cheap as the options mostly being presented.

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 09:17:36 PM »

I decided to go with a Midas M32R and the D32 Stage Box.  A smaller form factor to be mobile and yet have the functions of the full sized M32.  MHO

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 09:17:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.