ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this real?  (Read 5641 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Is this real?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 07:50:42 PM »

I'm still not sure if you're talking about wireless microphones or IEMs...

THIS^^^^^

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 12:35:43 AM »

I think we might have a terminology issue here. A "combiner" is something that takes several RF signals and combines them into a single signal path. A splitter (or distro) is something that takes a single RF signal path and splits it into several identical copies. Combiners are used with IEM transmitters, taking several separate IEM signals and combining them into a single transmission line. Splitters are used with wireless microphone receivers, taking a single (typically pair of) antenna feeds and splitting them out to multiple receivers.

The ASA 1 is an 4-way antenna splitter, splitting one pair of antenna feeds to four separate wireless microphone receivers. A pair of ASA 1s can be cascaded into each other to create an 8-way splitter, which is the typical setup for 8-channel Sennheiser racks.

For IEMs, the Sennheiser 4-channel combiner is the AC 3. Sennheiser does make an 8-channel combiner, the AC 3200-II, but it is a lot of money. In theory you can passively combine the output of two 4-channel combiners, but you'll suffer ~4dB of loss for doing so (i.e. more than half your transmit power).

-Russ

I’ve combined to AC3 through a shure passive combiner and had zero problems.  Shure even used to have a paper on this but I can’t find it anymore.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 03:25:58 AM »

Sure does.

Avoid.

Cheers,
Tim

If you are looking for a place to go cheap, far better to go cheap here than on the mics.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 11:35:41 AM »

An amplified splitter is likely to be the second least sophisticated piece of electronic equipment you will own (after a transformer-based wall-wart)

The old Sennheiser ASA (2-space unit sold maybe 15-20 years ago?) was basically a rack enclosure with off-the-shelf TV amp and splitters inside.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »

I think we might have a terminology issue here. A "combiner" is something that takes several RF signals and combines them into a single signal path. A splitter (or distro) is something that takes a single RF signal path and splits it into several identical copies. Combiners are used with IEM transmitters, taking several separate IEM signals and combining them into a single transmission line. Splitters are used with wireless microphone receivers, taking a single (typically pair of) antenna feeds and splitting them out to multiple receivers.

The ASA 1 is an 4-way antenna splitter, splitting one pair of antenna feeds to four separate wireless microphone receivers. A pair of ASA 1s can be cascaded into each other to create an 8-way splitter, which is the typical setup for 8-channel Sennheiser racks.

For IEMs, the Sennheiser 4-channel combiner is the AC 3. Sennheiser does make an 8-channel combiner, the AC 3200-II, but it is a lot of money. In theory you can passively combine the output of two 4-channel combiners, but you'll suffer ~4dB of loss for doing so (i.e. more than half your transmit power).

-Russ

Well, D'oh! again.
I was visualizing the wrong direction.
Splitter it is.
I had also forgotten about daisy chaining two ASA1s together.
I saw it when I assembled the racks, but promptly forgot about it as it wasn't necessary for me at the time.

Thanks Russ!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 09:17:13 PM »

If you are looking for a place to go cheap, far better to go cheap here than on the mics.

I doubt the talent that has to listen to the IEMs would agree . . .
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 01:36:56 AM »

The old Sennheiser ASA (2-space unit sold maybe 15-20 years ago?) was basically a rack enclosure with off-the-shelf TV amp and splitters inside.
Please cite your sources on this before I vigorously refute your statement.  I don't want to unnecessarily raise an argument.

It was a POS by today's standards but those Germans sure as hell designed it for its purpose, as a through and through 50 Ohm system.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:40:56 AM by Jason Glass »

Scott Helmke

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »

Please cite your sources on this before I vigorously refute your statement.  I don't want to unnecessarily raise an argument.

It was a POS by today's standards but those Germans sure as hell designed it for its purpose, as a through and through 50 Ohm system.

My source was  that I opened the box to fix something, and found it full of off-the-shelf components. Likely they were high quality components, but they were in fact little boxes cabled together with coax inside the Sennheiser box.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 11:07:01 AM »

My source was  that I opened the box to fix something, and found it full of off-the-shelf components. Likely they were high quality components, but they were in fact little boxes cabled together with coax inside the Sennheiser box.
Roger that.  Can't fault a personal inspection!

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

Scott Helmke

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 12:56:36 PM »

Roger that.  Can't fault a personal inspection!

It's not like distributing wideband antenna signals is anything new.  The cable TV industry has been doing it for half a century already.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 12:56:36 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.