ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 198742 times)

Chris Gruber

Best Kick Drum Mic?
« on: January 11, 2011, 01:49:21 AM »

::) Figured I'd get this one out of the way. I'll answer that it is situational, what sound I am looking for determines which mic I select. Therefor there are many, "BEST" kick drum mics.

Mike Baker

Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »

You did of course search the forums before asking that question I hope.

Sorry couldn't resist.....  ;)

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:00:54 PM »

The best kick mic?

The one you happen to be using at the moment.

By the way...I'm wondering, under what circumstances, would I ever use the "kiss" smiley...

William R. Conturo

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »

Ok, for sake of content because maybe some real newbie like myself is going to come on here looking for this.. I am going to for example, start a constructive argument and say...

I use a lot of different kick drum mics, a lot of the pro mics out there sound.. not bad.... My go to mic for a 1 mic application is an Audix D6, I like it's response for a carved out mid range kick drum sound. Lost of sub, punch and click. Good for a modern kick sound. Another good mic is the AKG D112. A different response characteristic but still a good sounding mic to me, it's got fuller lower mid range. I use that for Jazz type acts. A kick mic I stay away from is the Shure Beta52, I never liked it. It's dynamics seem too flabby or something.  All three of those mics I have had for 5 plus years and they haven't missed a beat. So as for durability, there ain't much to break, and the Shure is probably best used as a hammer.
- Billy C

William R. Conturo

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 05:55:13 PM »

Oh ya, one more thing..  :-* my  ;) y maybe??
Joke, by the way.
The above post proves I am credible and not some hack..
- Billy C

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 10:04:33 PM »

rubbish. Everyone knows the best kick drum is a 1989 Radio Shack PZM mic, non-modified with the funky batteries in it, gaff-taped to the resonant head on the outside, with cable hanging down at a 167º angle. Others may claim this or that, or say "it depends," but that's a copout for the true BEST KICK DRUM MIC.

Chase Tower

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 12:22:40 PM »

Currently my kick drum staple would be the Shure Beta 52 in the hole and the SM91 inside the drum.
I've recently started trying out the Audix D6 - Beta 91 combo, and have been getting pleasing results. I'm just so used to the 52 though, quick to get up and go, depending what type sound i'm looking for I guess.

Chris Hunt

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 12:38:05 PM »

My mics of choice right now are D6 outside and e901 inside.  Tons of punch, low end, and click.  Lots of guys in town use to Beta 52 but I really don't care for it.  I think that it takes less work to make sound OK, but does not sound 1/2 as good as the D6 or e901 when properly setup. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:39:44 PM by limelight »
Chris Hunt
Limelight - FOH
-----------------------------

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 12:39:34 PM »

My mics of choice right now are D6 outside and e901 inside.  Tons of punch, low end, and click.  Lots of guys in town use to Beta 52 but I really don't care for it.  I think that it takes less work to make sound OK, but does not sound 1/2 as good as the D6 of e901 when properly setup.

Chris -

Go to your profile and put your full name in the Name field.

Thanks

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Matt Martin

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 01:52:12 AM »

::) Figured I'd get this one out of the way. I'll answer that it is situational, what sound I am looking for determines which mic I select. Therefor there are many, "BEST" kick drum mics.

the best microphone is the one that cost double of the one you just bought...lol
Matt Martin
Southern Missouri Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 01:52:12 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.