ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 198719 times)

Curtis H List (Too Tall)

Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2019, 11:18:20 AM »

::) Figured I'd get this one out of the way. I'll answer that it is situational, what sound I am looking for determines which mic I select. Therefor there are many, "BEST" kick drum mics.

First find kick drums that sound good...

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2019, 04:51:33 AM »

The MikTek mics are rather large, yes. The clamps are the hardest thing to deal with. Despite their mass, I have had no problem getting them to integrate with a drum system and get a good sound. The overall sound is great. I wouldn't say it's the best I have ever heard, but most certainly far from the worst and certainly easier to get to where I want. The stuff I really want isn't cheap and isn't practical for most of my clientele. The MikTek stuff is about as expensive as I can reasonably justify and honestly gives me an option that is better in overall quality than what most all in my area is offering. I am basically offering big house choices from a small house provider. I think I will eventually get a Beta52, but only because I do actually like it and it is pretty much a standard option now. I think I will also get an Audix D6 too for much of the same reason. Between the Beta 91, Beta 52, D6 and PM11 options, I would be covering just about every engineers " I will accept that " list. I am not a fan of utilizing two kick drum mics and prefer a single mic solution and each of these options seem to make a single mic approach work, having them all is sure to make any engineer be comfartable.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Gunther Mai

« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2019, 11:36:12 AM »

Wonder why beyerdynamic tgd71 (c) is never mentioned here:
Sounds great as 'stand alone' kick mic, not as 'typical boundary' as its competitors.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »

Wonder why beyerdynamic tgd71 (c) is never mentioned here:
Sounds great as 'stand alone' kick mic, not as 'typical boundary' as its competitors.

Have you read this page of this topic? Hint: 7 posts above...

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2020, 09:10:53 AM »

My new favourite kick mic: Beyerdynamic TG D71.

After a few months of use i yet have to find any fault. This thing is the bee's knees. Build like a tank, fairly cost effective, sounds very very nice. No need for a LDD. Very easy to eq. Almost never the need for a gate, even with a side fill.

I suspect it will also perform very well with double bass drums, and/or use as a trigger. Will find out in a couple of weeks.

Hi Geert,
Just exposing my ignorance here, as I've never used a boundary mic before.
How well do they work when on the floor outside of the kick, eg when there is no hole in the front head please?
I can imagine they may pick up more bleed than say a cardioid or super/hypercardioid kick mic when not inside the drum?
Thanks,
David.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2020, 10:43:35 PM »

Hi Geert,
How well do they work when on the floor outside of the kick, eg when there is no hole in the front head please?
I can imagine they may pick up more bleed than say a cardioid or super/hypercardioid kick mic when not inside the drum?
Thanks,
David.
Outside the drum they pick up everything louder than the drum, which will be most everything.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2020, 04:33:57 AM »

Hi Geert,
Thanks,
David.

Never tried that. When no hole i default to an AKG d112 or Shure B52. My guess is it won't be pretty.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #227 on: January 26, 2020, 09:43:29 AM »

Outside the drum they pick up everything louder than the drum, which will be most everything.

Never tried that. When no hole i default to an AKG d112 or Shure B52. My guess is it won't be pretty.

Pretty much what I suspected, thanks for the confirmation gents.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #228 on: February 03, 2020, 07:28:35 AM »

Pretty much what I suspected, thanks for the confirmation gents.

Inside the bass drum is a different matter... there's sufficient isolation (6-9dB, maybe) to use it for the "click" beater sound that is part of the "arena rock kick drum" sound if you also use another mic that doesn't fit in through the hole in the resonant drum head (like the Beta 52).  I'm not a fan of needing 2 mics to do the job of 1 mic and for the money this all ties up you can probably find a Beyer M-88TG.  For less money I like (and own) the Sennheiser e902 as it fits through most reso head holes IF you have the stand & boom to make it happen.

But I go back to when the Senny MD-421 was THE drum mic...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #229 on: February 03, 2020, 08:03:28 AM »

I'm not a fan of needing 2 mics to do the job of 1 mic and for the money this all ties up you can probably find a Beyer M-88TG.  For less money I like (and own) the Sennheiser e902 as it fits through most reso head holes IF you have the stand & boom to make it happen.

Absolutely agree on 1 mic vs 2.
The reason I'd asked was because I'd seen the Beyer 7pc pack of drum mics at what might have been a stupidly good price, if they were versatile enough to do say 99% of the random drumkits that come my way without needing a supplemental kick mic too often.
Clearly that's not the case though, so I'm not going to throw money at that package.
Another case of "the wrong product at the right price...." etc.
Thanks again,
David.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #229 on: February 03, 2020, 08:03:28 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.