ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 199278 times)

Tom Burgess

Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2015, 02:27:50 PM »

Aside from the problem of the mic getting in the way, is there a downside to putting the mic on the side which is actually being hit?

Steve.
It depends on how much snare you want in your kick channel.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »

Hadn't thought of that!

Steve.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #162 on: June 03, 2015, 10:27:48 PM »

you gotta put it on the opposide of the snare toward the bottom with the front pointed at the head.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2015, 10:54:20 PM »

As this thread got resurrected, I'll just say I picked up a Beta 52 recently having used only a D6 for quite some time.
I had read a lot of good things about it and quite frankly was intrigued to hear the difference between the 2. It seems it is one of those mics everyone should have in their inventory.
When it arrived, I used it on a few different shows but I have just started using the D6 again.
I realize it depends on a lot of different things like how the kick is tuned, room acoustics, EQ, etc…..but I get so much more thump and definition to the sound with the D6 and it is instant - makes my life easier. The Beta 52 does have a nice low oomph to it but even with some careful EQing,  I still missed the thump - what can I say????
BTW….I based my opinion on having used the Beta 52 on 4 different kick drums….
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »

As this thread got resurrected, I'll just say I picked up a Beta 52 recently having used only a D6 for quite some time.
I had read a lot of good things about it and quite frankly was intrigued to hear the difference between the 2. It seems it is one of those mics everyone should have in their inventory.
When it arrived, I used it on a few different shows but I have just started using the D6 again.
I realize it depends on a lot of different things like how the kick is tuned, room acoustics, EQ, etc…..but I get so much more thump and definition to the sound with the D6 and it is instant - makes my life easier. The Beta 52 does have a nice low oomph to it but even with some careful EQing,  I still missed the thump - what can I say????
BTW….I based my opinion on having used the Beta 52 on 4 different kick drums….

The Beta 52 is perfect if you want the kick drum to sound like a screen door slamming...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steve M Smith

« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2015, 03:11:05 AM »

The Beta 52 is perfect if you want the kick drum to sound like a screen door slamming...

What do you use if you want to make a kick drum which sounds like a screen door sound like a kick drum?

Many years ago, I was at a soundcheck where the kick drum sounded like a spoon hitting a wet paper bag.  I don't know what mic was used but the engineer managed to turn it into a great drum sound.

Steve.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2015, 06:00:33 AM »

What do you use if you want to make a kick drum which sounds like a screen door sound like a kick drum?

Many years ago, I was at a soundcheck where the kick drum sounded like a spoon hitting a wet paper bag.  I don't know what mic was used but the engineer managed to turn it into a great drum sound.

Steve.

Triggers and samples Steve triggers and samples.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Steve M Smith

« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2015, 06:12:29 AM »

Triggers and samples Steve triggers and samples.

That's cheating!

And it definitely wasn't that.

Steve.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2015, 06:33:43 AM »

Aside from the problem of the mic getting in the way, is there a downside to putting the mic on the side which is actually being hit?

Steve.

Well, there is the fact that drummers, who apparently know everything there is to know about micing drums, will tell you doesn't go there.

A drummer friend and I once spent an entire afternoon experimenting with different mic positions with a completely unprocessed mic channel. For the mic we were using that day (can't remember what it was) the best sounding position (to my ears) turned out to be on the beater side, and the second best was on the reso side but out near the rim.

Knowing a lot of drummers would give me grief for putting a mic on the beater side I started using the position near the rim, (inch in, inch away from head) and was getting good sounds at sound check. Problem was that at more than one gig someone would eventully move the mic "back" into the port hole and we'd start a show or set with a crappy kick.

IMHO we could live without specialized kick mics (put a 57 on everything) if drummers would actually tune their drums properly. How often do you actually come across a kick drum that sounds good on it's own? Especially standing on the reso side?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2015, 06:49:12 AM »

IMHO we could live without specialized kick mics (put a 57 on everything) if drummers would actually tune their drums properly. How often do you actually come across a kick drum that sounds good on it's own? Especially standing on the reso side?
in 1970 i started playing drums. in 1970 Ray Hair(AFM president) moved in next door. Ray heard me and brought George Lawrence(drummer for POCO) over and they taught me how to tune. over the years i have had many tell me how awsome my unmic'd drums sound. it takes time, experamenting with heads, and tuning to get a great sound. most drummer i have known dont want to spend the time or money trying different heads. i know drummers that buy the latest greatest top of the line kit expectiong it to sound great but doesnt. i y first set of drums was a MIJ set called Stewart brand. i made them sound awsome. if you take the time to learn to tune you can make cardboard drums sound great.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2015, 06:49:12 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 23 queries.