ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 200617 times)

Jay Robertson

Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2014, 10:22:13 AM »

I've been doing sound for my bands for years - but I'm a lead player, so compared to you guys, yes, I'm a 'newb.'

Thanks for the fun/pun in cheek thread - there's enough here, and I'm newb enough, that you've still kinda sorta mostly pointed me in the right direction.

You answered my question a few pages back - big shows, we have sound companies and I don't have to think.  Small bars, quick setup, I want something I don't have to mess with - I'd rather have 80% in 5 minutes than 95% in 30.

Several of you said D6.  Worth a shot - I'm old enough that in MY day, the D12 was the ONLY thing used.  Hard to find and expensive now, so for quick and dirty thump, I'll replace my 57 with a D6.

A couple of you mentioned the Sennheiser 421a.  I have several laying around.  Would be willing to try one, but don't want to pop it - will they handle the SPL?

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »

Several of you said D6.  Worth a shot - I'm old enough that in MY day, the D12 was the ONLY thing used.  Hard to find and expensive now, so for quick and dirty thump, I'll replace my 57 with a D6.

A couple of you mentioned the Sennheiser 421a.  I have several laying around.  Would be willing to try one, but don't want to pop it - will they handle the SPL?

The Audix D6 is a solid choice for kick as is the AKG D12 and the AKG D112. There is also a new one - the AKG D12VR (http://www.akg.com/D12+VR-831.html?pid=939) which is designed specifically for kick drum recording. I have never used one and dont know how it would work live but Id like to try it out.

The MD421 is also a great kick mic and is currently my go-to kick mic. Mine is an original, purchased in the early 80s but the re=release, the MD421 II is nearly identical with a few minor changes. Here is article from Mix about the MD421:

http://mixonline.com/mixline/sennheiser_md421_turns50_2610/

The article states that it can handle 175dB - no worries there handling SPL!

There are a couple things I like about the 421 over the D6, D112, etc.
First, its not designed to be a kick drum mic so it has no builtin "scoop and click". Modern kick drum mics have a frequency response that scoops out some low mid and adds a little high mid to give that "sound". That is nice but Id rather do it myself on the channel strip since no 2 kicks sound the same.
Second is its shape. Being fairly long but not all that big around I find it easy to get it inside the hole and it gives some front to back wiggle room without having to climb inside the drum. I can get more click by moving it closer to the batter head or more boom by moving it back.

Keep in mind that the 421 has a 5 position bass rolloff switch - its a circular deal that "spins" around the XLR barrel connector. On the original, the positions are marked from M (music) to S (speech). In the M position there is very little rolloff and this is best for kick or other low freq sources. As you select positions toward S the mic rolls the bass off at slightly higher frequencies and at S it rolls off the bass pretty heavily. This is good for speech (duh).

If you have a 421 laying around Id start there - you may be very happy with it.

Jay Robertson

« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2014, 12:42:26 PM »

The MD421 is also a great kick mic and is currently my go-to kick mic. Mine is an original, purchased in the early 80s but the re=release, the MD421 II is nearly identical with a few minor changes. Here is article from Mix about the MD421:

http://mixonline.com/mixline/sennheiser_md421_turns50_2610/

The article states that it can handle 175dB - no worries there handling SPL!

<snip>

If you have a 421 laying around Id start there - you may be very happy with it.

Thanks - will take one to tonite's show.  I have both an original and the II.  Thru our pa, our SPLs, I can't tell enough difference to spit on.   :-[

MikeyGeorges

« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2015, 07:44:19 AM »

for live heavy metal/hard rock, it's hard to beat a d112 or a B52. For the majority of everything I mix day in and out, I trust nothing like my RE20(which I know how to use in most situations) and for dance/electronic I prefer an ev868 or audio d6.
 For bluegrass or jazz, the MD421

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2015, 10:36:51 PM »

I've been doing sound for my bands for years - but I'm a lead player, so compared to you guys, yes, I'm a 'newb.'

Thanks for the fun/pun in cheek thread - there's enough here, and I'm newb enough, that you've still kinda sorta mostly pointed me in the right direction.

You answered my question a few pages back - big shows, we have sound companies and I don't have to think.  Small bars, quick setup, I want something I don't have to mess with - I'd rather have 80% in 5 minutes than 95% in 30.

I use a SM91 with a D6. I'm old enough to have tried every kick mic under the sun. But you pretty well answered your own question. For ease of use throw it up and go. You can't beat a D6!

John L Nobile

« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2015, 10:39:43 PM »

I use a SM91 with a D6. I'm old enough to have tried every kick mic under the sun. But you pretty well answered your own question. For ease of use throw it up and go. You can't beat a D6!

That's been my favorite combo for kick as well. However, I am thinking of getting an RE20. I've only used it once years ago and I still remember how good it sounded on a crappy kick.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2015, 05:57:17 AM »

Just been reading thru this thread. Am I the only guy on the planet that doesn't think a kick drum needs a hole in the reso head?  I actually prefer it not to have a hole, although I rarely see it.  Just place the mic about an inch in from the rim pointing straight at the head about an inch away and you're gold.  Most recently with a Senn e602II
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2015, 06:14:52 AM »

Just been reading thru this thread. Am I the only guy on the planet that doesn't think a kick drum needs a hole in the reso head?  I actually prefer it not to have a hole, although I rarely see it.  Just place the mic about an inch in from the rim pointing straight at the head about an inch away and you're gold.  Most recently with a Senn e602II
i havent had a hole in my head since 1985.....I dont muffle either. heres a foto.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2015, 06:22:29 AM »

Aside from the problem of the mic getting in the way, is there a downside to putting the mic on the side which is actually being hit?

Steve.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2015, 06:28:31 AM »

Aside from the problem of the mic getting in the way, is there a downside to putting the mic on the side which is actually being hit?

Steve.
i have seen the mic on the backside. as long as the pedal doesnt squeeek and make other noises it works good. my pedals make all kinds of mechanical noise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2015, 06:28:31 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.