ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 202604 times)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »

PR40.  If there's any deep in the drum, you can get it out with a bit of EQ (unlike the D6 that I had been happy with until one day...).

The drum on the video had a ringy resonant head - yuk.

roblavender

• Unicorn Artist Management
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2014, 05:43:50 PM »

::) Figured I'd get this one out of the way. I'll answer that it is situational, what sound I am looking for determines which mic I select. Therefor there are many, "BEST" kick drum mics.

Yep BEST is a relative term. But if you mean a commonly used microphone that sounds good when used on kick drum. I'd have to say the EV RE-20 probably leads the pack.  Does a great job and is flexible enough to be able to create a variety of nice kick drums sounds. The Mics position and proximity to the drum head can make a big difference in the sound you get. Too many so called kick drum mics really only sound good when used one way, which means they make one sound well. There are a few others that are very good also, but the RE-20 is probably teh most flexible and can be also be used on other instruments. It is also the industry standard fro voice-over work and radio broadcasting.

Of course the wise use of EQ, compression, and reverb can make a huge difference too.

Mike Tinsley

« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2014, 12:25:57 PM »

::) Figured I'd get this one out of the way. I'll answer that it is situational, what sound I am looking for determines which mic I select. Therefor there are many, "BEST" kick drum mics.

AKG D112 w nose in the sound hole. Audix D6 as soon
as I can get around to a backup. Shure Beta52 works
well to hold doors open. Too heavy to use as hammer. ::)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »

The RE320 does pretty good too if you can't afford the RE20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2014, 03:06:40 PM »

I don't see any takers on the akg d12vr... It has been out for a while now.

Lovely mic that has nothing to do with the original d12. The four sounding modes are really usefull!

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »

I tend to like the Audix D6

Eric Frazier

« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2014, 10:13:48 PM »

Currently my kick drum staple would be the Shure Beta 52 in the hole and the SM91 inside the drum.
I've recently started trying out the Audix D6 - Beta 91 combo, and have been getting pleasing results. I'm just so used to the 52 though, quick to get up and go, depending what type sound i'm looking for I guess.

+1 on the Beta 52 Outside and Beta 91 inside
Eric Frazier

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »

I "grew up" on an SM58 back in the day when my entire stash was 57s and 58s. Then I got a D12 and loved it. I got a D112 when they came out and that was my go-to for many years even though it can be a real bear to fit through a hole to get closer to the batter. I have used D6s quite a few times - usually when the BE or Drummer brings their own set - and I really like that too. I have also used the beta52 and like most others here, I would never buy one. A few years ago I leant my D112 to a friend and wound up at a gig without it so I put a vintage MD421 on the kick and have been using that ever since. While it doesnt have the classic "scoop" I find that I can apply that with EQ when needed. On some kicks I can also change the boom / click balance easily by moving it in or out of the hole without having to actually stick it inside the drum. I found the same to be true of the RE20 - maybe even more so? - and (I assume) of the RE320 although I haven't come across one of those in the wild yet.
As I am in the process of re-tooling though I am thinking about the new D12 vr but haven't seen many reviews...

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »

As I am in the process of re-tooling though I am thinking about the new D12 vr but haven't seen many reviews...
The new D12-VR is a very good sounding mic (although, honestly, I prefer the original).  I despise the D112.  These days I'm liking the Heil PR-48 or the Telefunken M82 (or the D6 from time to time).
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2014, 01:11:42 AM »

I've finally entered the realm of trying different kick mics. I've been growing very close to the Beta 91, either with a Beta 52 or D6, for hard rock. Even been known to pull the external mic out and just use the 91... Also liking the e602 as a standalone mic.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2014, 01:11:42 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.