ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 151036 times)

Jeff Bankston

Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 07:06:37 pm »

and finally > the one that produces the bass drum sound you like !!!

Louie Warren

• "Makin' it up as I go along" - Radney Foster
    • Ludietunes
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2011, 01:43:20 pm »

::) Figured I'd get this one out of the way. I'll answer that it is situational, what sound I am looking for determines which mic I select. Therefor there are many, "BEST" kick drum mics.

My favorite is the EV N/D 868...  it has been shown up by another mic, but I've loved it as a cheap alternative.
Please help spread the word!
http://www.ludietunes.com/Stolen/

Remember... I'm just a guitar player

John Lackner

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2011, 07:04:22 pm »

What's more important than the drum mic is the drum itself, which can range much more widely in quality than any mic. I use a Sennheiser E901 and like it. An outstanding VALUE in a drum mic is a CAD KBM412. Other mics seem to sound  a little bit better and cost a lot more. It also sounds surprisingly good on acoustic bass.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2011, 03:29:00 pm »

this is a touchy subject.
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Gordon Ryan

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2011, 06:18:25 pm »

the best microphone is the one that cost double of the one you just bought...lol

Put an SM57 in the hole and turn it up REALLY LOUD!

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2011, 01:43:07 pm »

::) Figured I'd get this one out of the way. I'll answer that it is situational, what sound I am looking for determines which mic I select. Therefor there are many, "BEST" kick drum mics.

Alesis DM5. Makes even a cardboard box sound good. ;)
MAGA-Make Audio Great Again

Frederik RosenkjŠr

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2011, 06:46:48 am »

I have a new favorite combo in the studio (don't use it live for portability reasons that will be obvious in a moment):

Yamaha Subkick for the sweet lows
B-Band UKKO Kick pickup for the highs and also the "high lows" (100Hz-ish).

I just recently purchased the Kick and Snare UKKO-transducers and I must say they work very well.

The Kick transducer gives me a really broad click sound that is very controlled yet dynamic and not too unnatural. By "broad" I mean in frequency - it really has it all and can be shaped into all kinds of click; if I want the 3kHz thing - just dial it it, maybe the more common metal-type 5kHz? No problem, but also the more hifi-ish 10kHz click is there in spades and all the mentioned can be combined. It really flexible and a huge bonus is the bleed which is far far lower than any mic - especially nice when you want to make the really clicky metal thing happen. No snare bleed to speak of!

The reviews I found mentioned that it was too thin to be used alone - I don't know...? I find there's actually a good amount of very usable low end in there. I even have a hole in the front head which B-Band recommends to not have to get the most low end out of the thing.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Seth Swegheimer

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2011, 11:56:09 pm »

I am not by any stretch of the imagination a sound guy or live sound technician, but I am a drummer, and I play lots and lots of shows at different venues with different mic's at each one. When I play multi band shows I get to hear the sound out front and I alway pay attention to what mic's they are using. Also, I don't know if either mic is more difficult then the other to eq or what not, as I never do that....

I have found that by far the most common mics that have been put in my hole (that sounds dirty) were the D6 and the Beta 52a.

I personally prefer the Beta 52a because its warmer and more "natural" sounding. I play in a multi genre Jam band, so it fits my music best.
The D6 seems to be much more precise and "clicky". Way more attack. Better for hard rock and metal acts I would say.

Shane Smith

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2012, 07:45:05 am »

Beta 52A is my weapon of choice these days also. I didn't love the E901 but would be interested in hearing the new Beta 91A variant, I always liked it's predecessor but the mini-XLR contraption was a terrible design.

George Dougherty

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2012, 04:02:56 pm »

Beta 52A is my weapon of choice these days also. I didn't love the E901 but would be interested in hearing the new Beta 91A variant, I always liked it's predecessor but the mini-XLR contraption was a terrible design.
The 901 and Beta91 seem to be better as augmentation mic's for most styles. Takes a lot more work to get them sounding right on rock kick if that's all you've got.

ProSoundWeb Community

┬ź Reply #79 on: January 05, 2012, 04:02:56 pm ┬╗

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.