ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 200622 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 01:03:01 PM »

I think it's a common trait in the industry, people love to do down the best seller / most popular choice. It the same with the Beta 58!

The Beta 58 sounds terrible.  In fact, I don't care much for most of the Beta vocal mics, they have this "ice pick in the forehead" tonality that can't be EQed out.

Funny thing, too, is that we get riders that spec the Beta 58, and in our advances we mention that we don't have 9 of them (or whatever).  The typical reply is "that's okay, the Betas were put in by the old sound guy; regular 58's will be fine."

YMMV and all that...

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

[email protected]

• Finland, Uusimaa
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2011, 06:02:56 AM »

Funny thing, too, is that we get riders that spec the Beta 58, and in our advances we mention that we don't have 9 of them (or whatever).  The typical reply is "that's okay, the Betas were put in by the old sound guy; regular 58's will be fine."

That's one of the things that I've became an ass on... If the BE don't bother to update their rider according to what they really want, I just give them what I want, and happen to have with me...

The band that I'm touring myself is on a break at the moment, but when we were touring I kept our rider up to date all the time, with information on review date and revision, and also kept it well known where it can be found... ...also the agency that sold the gigs got the newest one all the time and I never had any issues...

And typically if you have generally accepted mics (drums: B52, SM57, e904, some small condenser (oktava, Sennheiser...)... gtr: SM57, e906... vocs: SM58, e935...) they'll do just fine. And if they are not good enough I tend to end up saying "You use what's given, or you bring your own".

fwiw,
-Minka-
95% of touring is work, and if you're lucky that 5% of the time is working with gear that are in good shape and according to rider...

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2011, 05:12:19 AM »

the AKG D12E (not the D112) is the bestess bass drum mike ever ! they aint ben made since about 1990 but you can find them used. i got 3. i am a drummer. and i use both heads ! on the drum that is !
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:04:58 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »

the AKG D12E (not the D112) is the bestess bass drum mike ever ! they aint ben made since about 1990 but you can find them used. i got 3. i am a drummer. and i use both heads ! on the drum that is !

Please go to your profile and put your full name in the Name field.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Nick Jones

« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2011, 09:53:53 AM »

As with any mic, it's application specific.  However, if I had to pick only one it would be the Audix D6.  In my experience, a well tuned kick and a well placed D6 need much less EQ than any other mic I've used.  For Jazz an RE20 or PZM on the floor is good.

That said, a well tuned system, mic placement, a good ear and knowing how to EQ are more important than mic choice.  The mics are tools, they are only as powerful as the user behind them.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber