ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Kick Drum Mic?  (Read 198721 times)

Nathan Vanderslice

Re: Best Kick Drum Mic?
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2021, 10:09:01 PM »

I should have added.....
Sadly in my experience, there are not enough drummers who can tune a kick drum on the 'weekend Warrior' circuit.  With a decent sounding drum to start with, it is pretty quick and straightforward to get any mic dialed in but when dealing with an inferior tone along with being given very little time to tweak to help matters, sometimes short cuts can be very handy and I'd suppose I'd call the D6 a short cut.
Lack of ability, not knowing that they need to do it for good sound, or can't be bothered?

Alex Cheng

« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2021, 02:21:05 PM »

Lack of ability, not knowing that they need to do it for good sound, or can't be bothered?

d) All of the above.

...sometimes :)

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2023, 05:42:33 PM »

::) Figured I'd get this one out of the way. I'll answer that it is situational, what sound I am looking for determines which mic I select. Therefor there are many, "BEST" kick drum mics.

I used an M88 last night for the first time. I now know what the best kick mic is.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2023, 12:50:05 PM »

I used an M88 last night for the first time. I now know what the best kick mic is.

They are fantastic until they blow out. Then they are nothing.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2023, 06:55:24 PM »

They are fantastic until they blow out. Then they are nothing.

How often does that happen?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #245 on: May 22, 2023, 01:01:41 PM »

How often does that happen?

The M-88"TG" was made in response to kick drum use.  Same polar response, different diaphragm and suspension, IIRC.

How often will either submodel fail?  Depends on the drummer/genre/placement.  That a model was built to accommodate drum use kind of tells me Beyer didn't want to do warranty replacements at the then rate of failure.  What is that rate?  Dunno.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2023, 07:00:13 PM »

The M-88"TG" was made in response to kick drum use.  Same polar response, different diaphragm and suspension, IIRC.

How often will either submodel fail?  Depends on the drummer/genre/placement.  That a model was built to accommodate drum use kind of tells me Beyer didn't want to do warranty replacements at the then rate of failure.  What is that rate?  Dunno.

Mine is a TG. I'll use the windscreen. It's an amazing kick mic. Thank you Tim

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #247 on: June 25, 2023, 09:20:38 PM »

Mine is a TG. I'll use the windscreen. It's an amazing kick mic. Thank you Tim

Has anyone here tried the Beyer Boundary mic? I'm wondering if they might have learned from the 88 and make something that sounds the same and is a bit more sturdy?

John Schalk

« Reply #248 on: June 26, 2023, 11:09:27 AM »

Has anyone here tried the Beyer Boundary mic? I'm wondering if they might have learned from the 88 and make something that sounds the same and is a bit more sturdy?
I use the Beyer TG-D71 boundary mic on kick drums and I like it.  It's slightly more compact than a Beta 91.  It sounds good and eliminates a mic stand and therefore the opportunity for a performer to knock the bass drum mic out of position.  I use an Audix D6 when I can't use the Beyer.

Rob Stevens

• Rob Stevens
« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2023, 05:14:47 PM »

I use the Beyer TG-D71 boundary mic on kick drums and I like it.  It's slightly more compact than a Beta 91.  It sounds good and eliminates a mic stand and therefore the opportunity for a performer to knock the bass drum mic out of position.  I use an Audix D6 when I can't use the Beyer.

I use one for exactly the same reason, its nice to eliminate the stand on some of the narrow stages we end up on, my back up is a D112.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2023, 05:14:47 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.